Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Yet another $500 craigslist CJ buildup

15K views 74 replies 15 participants last post by  1971cj6man 
#1 ·
Ok here it goes.... I have WAY to many jeep parts laying around the house and instead of selling or junking them, I figured I would just keep my eyes open and find a cheap jeep I could throw my extra parts in.

Well it didn't take long to find the prefect one, I really like jeeps that a tweaker has owned because most of the time they just take **** apart for no flipping reason, and my little cj5 was a perfect example. Brand new tires and rims, new brakes and a bunch of other stuff, what made this thing a mess was dmv back reg.... no big deal! and no wiring of any sort!! Haha Looks like I got what I wanted. P.s. I am going to do this on the cheap...umm maybe

SO far
1972 cj5 inline 258, t18, dana 20 dana 30 front 44 rear $500

sold the 258 t18 combo $400

got a running 350/th350 from a friend who also gave me a warn 8274 winch $450

sold the winch $400 after I rebuilt it. Got a th350 to dana 20 adapter off of craigs $350

chevy tilt,alum conv rad, unused painless harness, s10 power steering box
1998 xj power brakes. aa motor mounts, late model cj swing pedals. Free ''side of the house"

See less See more
#3 ·
This is after the first day of me bringing the old girl home!
I got to work very quick, pulled the body off with my redneck tree crane... Rated at 2500 lbs!
Then I set about looking the frame over, which was not too bad. While the body was off I pulled the 258/t18
and sold the combo! Love the 258 to death... But after owning a few, I am over the whole inline thing!

#4 ·
So next was getting the motor, I already have a 350 Sbc in my cj6 so I guess it's little brother also needed one!
The motor and tranny came from a friends k5 and the best part was I got to test drive the truck!
I pulled the motor on a Friday and by Saturday had everything in place!

#5 ·
On Saturday morning I had everything I needed to mount the motor, tranny and tcase in the car. Dummy rad motor mounts, tcase adapter, old cross member and the body bolted on. I was thinking I would be in for it... After putting the v8 in my short nose 6 I was getting ready for battle!!! As I started playing with the whole package in the engine bay I soon found out how much the extra 5'' made with the long nose. WOW! After I checked everything over I.e. Exhaust,drive shaft, steering shaft, how the motor sat. I looked at my firewall,it was all there not one cut!

#7 ·
So just this last week I gave it a power steering box from a xj, cool part is that it went right in! HAHA I also put in some late model cj7 swing pedals. And with that I was able to rid myself of that big *** wheel because I then put in a chevy tilt wheel. When I killed the xj I stole the power brakes off it so I put that in too. Some fine print I left out.... First off the box is out of a 1998 xj with the o ring style fitting, well my p/s pump off the 73 k5 so it has flare style fittings, no big deal got the high press line off a 95 s10 blazer 4x4 and I have a newer p/s pump off a chevy with the o rings. Because the chevy tilt is a 1990 the end is not splined, but rather a square shape! It took me a couple xj steering shafts to make one but it is just as nice as the $300 ones

#19 ·
Today was pretty wet outside, but I was still able spin wrenches.… got the pitman arm swapped off the old the old p/s box, then picked up a soft top that a friend was getting rid of.

Here is a pic of my other jeep... She is not far off but will take more detailed work then the cj5

#21 ·
awsome jeeps man i love the white one cant wait to see it finished

#24 ·
Haha, don't worry the 6 will get it's fair share of the action. Wish I had taken the time to do a write up on the 6... Way more interesting of a build then this jacked up cj5!!! In other news I pulled the gas tank to have it boiled out. I had to work fast between downpours of this damn rain

#25 ·
Yesterday I put the guts in the advanced adapter.... Had been waiting on a part from A.A., they did me right and got it to me in only a couple of days! So now everything is in the car, I want to hear the motor run and tranny go into gear. I was able to drive the donor, but I just want to see everything work!! After that I am running new fuel and brake lines. I haven't made my mind up on boxing the frame... This isn't going to be a trail rig or getting jumped! Haha, But rather a girl jeep. Before the body goes down the last time,I will need to Address a few more things, paint frame, get gas tank back in, do a little welding under the tub... Stress cracks, make a trac bar, blah blah blah

#27 ·
Nice 6!!! Can't wait to see how the 5 turns out too!

#28 ·
So I spun wrenches again tonight, with the help of a good friend. The motor runs great, the tranny is GREAT and the whole mess shifted into 3rd gear!! So now for tomorrow I will be running everything getting a radiator in there, and getting it to operating temp. After all that I'll be looking for leaks, and pretty much shake down the drivetrain in the driveway!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.