The Yellowtail Build - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Yellowtail Build

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 01-07-2012, 07:43 AM   #106
LA-Sahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573
I was thinking of doing some door lights but i never have my doors in during the summer so the fuse is pulled. I thought about hooking it into pod light circuit, but since im using a roll of blue led strip lighting for lighting projects, i figured blue door lighting would get washed out by the white. And i dont have a trunk thanks to my subs. However, i did do this:
Sweet. I was wondering if you had installed the tub rail lights.

LA-Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #107
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-Sahara View Post
Sweet. I was wondering if you had installed the tub rail lights.
Yea i just keep forgetting to post. They came out really good, but the 3m and the mounting tape dont like the cold. But after pressing everything back up, it hasnt sagged or fallen out again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2012, 11:01 AM   #108
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Last night, i wired my led backup lights into the backup light circuit. Then i modded the circuit in the cab to a double throw switch. The I is wired to the backup circuit. The II is wired to a constant 12v. The output goes to the lights. So now my lights work normally or can be turned on and off whenever. This mod was a huge PITA, especially when i cut the wrong wire in the cab and had to patch it, despite identical coloring.

I used the male half of blue bullet connecters. They worked perfectly.

Heatshrinked. I melted the plastic around the holes to lock in the connections and make them more water tight.

Taped up

Testing my skills

I decided to tap in at the trailer harness because 1. I am about to remove the tail lights and want to have the pigtails intact for selling. 2. I still wanted a plug inbetween the lights and the jeep harness. The outside plug will be cut off of the trailer harness and my led tail lights will be soldered to the trailer harness wires.

One in with the tail light removed for other reasons

It is a great mod, but the switch got the best of me. Took me nearly 8 hours for everything.

Quote:
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
Unread 01-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #109
LA-Sahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

So how did you end up mounting them?
Unread 01-08-2012, 02:20 PM   #110
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Right now...tape lol

Quote:
Unread 01-08-2012, 07:50 PM   #111
LA-Sahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Haha. Did they end up fitting in the hole good or will you have to trim the tube like you said?
Unread 01-08-2012, 08:25 PM   #112
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The front half fit snug. They are basically the same light as the reds but backup version. Not sure if im going to trim or not. If i have the time and tools next weekend, i will.

Quote:
Unread 01-08-2012, 09:04 PM   #113
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have got to stop spending all my cash on the jeep. Time to start saving for Senior Week! Especially since we just booked the house. but now i gotta figure out how im going to fit all the gear in the jeep, especially since im going to have at least one more person riding with me. Might have to leave the subs at home. Need racks or a trailer.

Quote:
Unread 01-12-2012, 04:35 PM   #114
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Just finished reading the whole build. Where to begin...

First off your Jeep is sick! My dad also bought mine and so far I'm not sure if he's willing to let me mod it.

Did you buy the Kicker speakers for Q-tec? It says on their website that they're plug and play? I wish I had the electrical skills like you. I'm wanting to wire an AUX port from the stock headunit. Kicker speakers all around with a Kenwood mini sub under the rear seat.

Personally I would scratch the D60 plan. Go with a HP D30/G2 D44. That'll hold 35's real good.

I'm sure there was more I was wanting to cover but I'll think of it later. Check out my build thread. It's got some good ideas for a DD that will eventually run 35's.

-Jack
BamaJeepman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #115
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaJeepman21 View Post
Just finished reading the whole build. Where to begin...

First off your Jeep is sick! My dad also bought mine and so far I'm not sure if he's willing to let me mod it.

Did you buy the Kicker speakers for Q-tec? It says on their website that they're plug and play? I wish I had the electrical skills like you. I'm wanting to wire an AUX port from the stock headunit. Kicker speakers all around with a Kenwood mini sub under the rear seat.

Personally I would scratch the D60 plan. Go with a HP D30/G2 D44. That'll hold 35's real good.

I'm sure there was more I was wanting to cover but I'll think of it later. Check out my build thread. It's got some good ideas for a DD that will eventually run 35's.
Oh yea I gave up on the D60 a long time ago. Going to go with a HP30/Ford 8.8 from ECGS. My Kickers came from Sonic Electronix. They are not plug and play but can be connected with crimp connectors or solder. They were very cheap. Talking my dad into mods has been difficult but he is supportive and is now letting me cut holes in the tub.

Quote:
Unread 01-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #116
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573 View Post
Oh yea I gave up on the D60 a long time ago. Going to go with a HP30/Ford 8.8 from ECGS. My Kickers came from Sonic Electronix. They are not plug and play but can be connected with crimp connectors or solder. They were very cheap. Talking my dad into mods has been difficult but he is supportive and is now letting me cut holes in the tub.
EGCS's price on an HP D30 is really low. I think that's close to what I would pay for one out of a junkyard and build it myself. I built one on their site and it's only $1,600. I can't decide what shafts to go with...

I won't be able to cut the tub until I own the Jeep.

-Jack
BamaJeepman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2012, 04:32 PM   #117
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ive been slipping on posts. Heres my recent work.
Sanded, primed, and painted carrier bolt head.

Got selectable reverse light mod finished. Lights.

Switch

Grab handles

Sanded and began priming and painting hood locks

Replaced flasher with Tridon EP-26 for LEDs

Added replacement Warn M8000 decal

Caulked up led tail light

Simple Greened all items for sale

Sanded and painted licence plate screws

Primed and painted sway bar cover with plastic primer and paint

Sanded and primed front bumper

Sanded rear bumper and trailer hitch

And picked up a hole saw from a local forum member to do the 4" tail lights.

Quote:
Unread 01-15-2012, 09:48 PM   #118
03Jeeper
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Nice build, jeep is looking great. I like all the LED mods you've done, very clean work. What comes after the tail lights?
Sienna Pearl Coat Club Member #24
/l ,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-

()_)-()_)-o-)_)

My totaled TJ rebuild
03Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2012, 09:56 PM   #119
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Jeeper View Post
Nice build, jeep is looking great. I like all the LED mods you've done, very clean work. What comes after the tail lights?
SYE/DS/ rear arms. Also ordered a pair of these lights in red from superbrightleds which will be mounted on the angled sides of the bumper. Im going to run a wire back from the front side marker lights and wire them into that so they act only as turn and driving lights and do that cool alternating blink

Quote:
Unread 01-16-2012, 10:00 PM   #120
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

These are all the pictures of my LED tail light install. Im not going to be giving descriptions because there are so many pictures. Leave a comment if you have any questions.

Quote:

Tags
nc guys

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.