The Yellowtail Build - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Yellowtail Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 01-03-2012, 11:42 PM   #91
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Decided to use part of my $100 Amazon gift card
I bought a pair of http://www.amazon.com/Jeep-Wrangler-Roll-Grab-Handle/dp/B005HAYDR4/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_cart_3

And one of http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JZ79NC/ref=oh_o02_s00_i00_details

And one of http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013LBQBC/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 07:18 AM   #92
AdamH07
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573 View Post
Anybody know where i can get a really cheap 4 1/2" holesaw? Theyre like $30 online and im only going to use it once to do led tail lights
I bought one a few years back when I did led lights on my '03 Rubi. I am 99% sure I still have it. I will check tonight after work. You are welcome to borrow it and return it. I live about a mile from Concord Mills mall.
AdamH07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #93
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamH07 View Post
I bought one a few years back when I did led lights on my '03 Rubi. I am 99% sure I still have it. I will check tonight after work. You are welcome to borrow it and return it. I live about a mile from Concord Mills mall.
Ah that would be great! I could meet you at Concord Mills. But i still need to aquire my reverse lights before i take off the stock lights. But ill definately contact you when I have everything ready. Thanks!

Quote:
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
Unread 01-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #94
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well today i got an email reply from the manufacturer of the led backup lights i was looking at. Turns out they are slightly larger than 4", like i suspected. This means i would have to mount them 2-3" back at the edge of the hole or trim the hole shorter to mount the lights closer to the bumper, or give in and buy the rampage bumper lights, which i really dont want to do. I put the red lights in the back of the holes to get an idea of how deep the lights would sit. I wasnt very pleased.

Quote:
Unread 01-04-2012, 09:57 PM   #95
rt4422
2002 TJ Wrangler 

That doesn't look too bad, it gives it a unique look. Plus you would never break them
rt4422 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 10:12 PM   #96
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt4422 View Post
That doesn't look too bad, it gives it a unique look. Plus you would never break them
Im going to cut the hole tubes down to about 1" in depth. It will still be inset but will sit closer to the bumper so the backup lights have a wider viewing angle.

Quote:
Unread 01-04-2012, 10:19 PM   #97
rt4422
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573

Im going to cut the hole tubes down to about 1" in depth. It will still be inset but will sit closer to the bumper so the backup lights have a wider viewing angle.
Ah good idea, I think that will look better than how they are supposed to look
rt4422 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 11:41 PM   #98
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ah good idea, I think that will look better than how they are supposed to look
Yea i think so too. I like the recessed look.

I placed the order on the lights. Ill install them next weekend when im back out at the farm.

Quote:
Unread 01-06-2012, 12:09 AM   #99
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well, since im doing the flush mount mod, ill lose the rear side reflector required by law. Its probably unimportant, but id figure id find a way to fix it. After searching around, i made the discovery that people have been using amber led bolts as turn signals. I had previously thought light bolts only came in white for tag lights. So this discovery gave me the idea to use red led bolts for a rear side light. I didnt want to drill the tub again so ive decided i could drill a hole on the side of the bumper. I would either run a single led or a line of three. I think i might do the 2 to 3 wire mod. However, i want the turning light and running light without the brake light. But i dont think thats possible so ill probably just suck it up and make them STT lights.
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...mini_tubes.htm

Quote:
Unread 01-06-2012, 08:12 PM   #100
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

So im constantly making my led tail light mod more and more complex. I want to put a single pole double throw rocker switch in and wire it to the led backup lights. One part of the switch would allow them to act as normal reverse lights. The other position would allow them to be controlled by a single pole single throw switch that has a constant 12v feed. Then i could use the backup lights as intended or turn them on at my will for rear lighting. My question is: do i need to wire in a relay or can the lights hook straight into the switch? Since they draw less than 1 A together, i imagine a relay is pointless, correct?

Quote:
Unread 01-06-2012, 09:57 PM   #101
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I finally got my Youtube build introduction video up. Its 20 min.. Heres the link if anybody wants to watch.

Quote:
Unread 01-06-2012, 10:46 PM   #102
LA-Sahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I wished you lived down here man, not many people my age understand my addiction to my Jeep....
I fully understand. Where you ride at?

To the OP, love the jeep man! When I was little I always wanted a yellow vehicle and if I hadn't of gotten my jeep, Definately would have gone with a yellow one. Love the yellow and black look. I really enjoy messing with wiring and stuff too. Today I just got done wiring up some strobe lights on my four wheeler. You should look into wiring an in-cab winch controller. That was one of thefirst mods on my jeep. Very easy to do, especially for you. Keep up the great work!
LA-Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2012, 11:06 PM   #103
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-Sahara View Post
I fully understand. Where you ride at?

To the OP, love the jeep man! When I was little I always wanted a yellow vehicle and if I hadn't of gotten my jeep, Definately would have gone with a yellow one. Love the yellow and black look. I really enjoy messing with wiring and stuff too. Today I just got done wiring up some strobe lights on my four wheeler. You should look into wiring an in-cab winch controller. That was one of thefirst mods on my jeep. Very easy to do, especially for you. Keep up the great work!
Thanks man! I had the same want as a kid. I just acted on it! I plan on doing an in cab controller but i want a switch panel from 12voltguy.com with one built into it. Since i plan on getting that, the "cord swung over the mirror" tactic will have to work for now.

Quote:
Unread 01-07-2012, 12:02 AM   #104
LA-Sahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573 View Post
Thanks man! I had the same want as a kid. I just acted on it! I plan on doing an in cab controller but i want a switch panel from 12voltguy.com with one built into it. Since i plan on getting that, the "cord swung over the mirror" tactic will have to work for now.
I gotcha. Yea, his stuff is pretty neat. Just a shot of my setup incase you change your mind. Another electrical thing I did was add step lights for when you're getting out, they light up the ground. And some pics of my trunk light and tailgate door trigger. Some easy, cheap, but cool mods.
img_0766.jpg   img_0767.jpg   img_0768.jpg   img_0770.jpg  
LA-Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2012, 12:46 AM   #105
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-Sahara View Post
I gotcha. Yea, his stuff is pretty neat. Just a shot of my setup incase you change your mind. Another electrical thing I did was add step lights for when you're getting out, they light up the ground. And some pics of my trunk light and tailgate door trigger. Some easy, cheap, but cool mods.
I was thinking of doing some door lights but i never have my doors in during the summer so the fuse is pulled. I thought about hooking it into pod light circuit, but since im using a roll of blue led strip lighting for lighting projects, i figured blue door lighting would get washed out by the white. And i dont have a trunk thanks to my subs. However, i did do this:

Quote:

Tags
nc guys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.