The Yellowtail Build - Page 51 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Yellowtail Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 12-27-2012, 12:04 AM   #751
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcannon111 View Post
Ohh okay I didn't see that option when I looked I thought it just came with the stock location one.
I have to say you had me thoroughly confused with that one. I should have realized when you said adj track bar. Yes, hi steer offset track bar mount is an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2012, 07:27 PM   #752
LA-Sahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

So Seth, I'm now planning on swapping in a HP30. Probably going get it next week. Was wondering what balljoints, if replacing them, are you going with?
LA-Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2012, 07:58 PM   #753
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-Sahara View Post
So Seth, I'm now planning on swapping in a HP30. Probably going get it next week. Was wondering what balljoints, if replacing them, are you going with?
Somebody hasn't been keeping up with this thread!

He scrapped the HP30 idea a while back in favor of a waggy44. You should always stick with the spicer ball joints though.
Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2012, 08:15 PM   #754
LA-Sahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Oh, I knew he ditched it. Just figured he was getting some for the 44, or he had researched them for the 30.
Unread 12-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #755
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-Sahara
Oh, I knew he ditched it. Just figured he was getting some for the 44, or he had researched them for the 30.
The waggy 44 uses completely different ball joints than a Dana 30. Like I said though, stick with Spicers.
Unread 12-27-2012, 08:39 PM   #756
LA-Sahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Gotcha. Thanks.
Unread 12-27-2012, 09:32 PM   #757
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Lol.

I've just been sitting here in WV for the last few hours looking at how I'll be setting up the 3-link, mostly how long my links will be. Looks like they will be around 30 in so I should be good with ordering 6' of 2" x .25" DOM for the lowers and 3' of 1.75" x .125" DOM for the upper, in addition to 1.5" x .25" DOM for the steering. I'm guessing I'm going to need about 8-9' for the panhard/drag link/tie rod.

Quote:
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
Unread 12-27-2012, 09:41 PM   #758
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Why not use the same size dom for the uppers as the lowers? They should be using the same size joint, use the same tubing and skip buying 2 different sizes.
Unread 12-27-2012, 10:02 PM   #759
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
Why not use the same size dom for the uppers as the lowers? They should be using the same size joint, use the same tubing and skip buying 2 different sizes.
For wanting to use 2" on the lowers but wanting to save on the upper which won't see abuse. They will use the same joint. Why does it matter if they are the same size? They are coming from the same place and 3' of 1.75 x .125 is cheaper than 3' of 2 x .25

Quote:
Unread 12-27-2012, 10:14 PM   #760
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573

For wanting to use 2" on the lowers but wanting to save on the upper which won't see abuse. They will use the same joint. Why does it matter if they are the same size? They are coming from the same place and 3' of 1.75 x .125 is cheaper than 3' of 2 x .25
The upper may not see as much abuse, but remember that you will only have one arm doing the same job that you used to have 2 arms doing. It is going to have a lot of pressure on it when flexing because of that. I would want the upper to be as strong as possible. If it fails it won't be pretty. Food for thought.

It also might not be a bad idea to order enough tubing to make at least one extra arm. Then you are covered if you mess one up while making your arms or ever damage one and need to replace it.
Unread 12-27-2012, 10:26 PM   #761
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
The upper may not see as much abuse, but remember that you will only have one arm doing the same job that you used to have 2 arms doing. It is going to have a lot of pressure on it when flexing because of that. I would want the upper to be as strong as possible. If it fails it won't be pretty. Food for thought.

It also might not be a bad idea to order enough tubing to make at least one extra arm. Then you are covered if you mess one up while making your arms or ever damage one and need to replace it.
I do understand the extra forces on the sole upper. I have looked around and it seems 1.75 is sufficient for the upper. But don't get me wrong, I would rather do overkill than risk breaking it later. And thats not a bad point on the extra tube. Hate to spend the money but spares are always nice. I'd like to get all of the links close to the same length for that reason but I'm not yet sure how probable that will be if I play with the 3 link calc any. I know not necissary but I'd like to get it as smooth as possible.

Quote:
Unread 12-27-2012, 10:28 PM   #762
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I had 4 ft of 2x.250 wall for lowers, 2ft of 1.75x.120 wall for uppers, and 6 ft for a panhard and drag link. I had about 8 inches to spare on my lowers, 6 on the upper, and about a foot on the drag link/panhard.

live in sc? join [COLOR="Blue"]OffroadSC.com[/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/silver-bullet-1249782/"][COLOR="Silver"]The Silver Bullet[/COLOR][/URL]
mcannon111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2012, 10:30 PM   #763
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

And my upper is smaller, no real reason to get that big of an upper. Chris may runs that size tube in his race car with a 3 link front and sticky 40 treps. It holds up fine. But some people feel better with a larger upper. To each his own

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/silver-bullet-1249782/"][COLOR="Silver"]The Silver Bullet[/COLOR][/URL]
Unread 12-27-2012, 10:36 PM   #764
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Wow. Those are some long lowers. I'll have to take a measuring tape to it when I get home.

Quote:
Unread 12-27-2012, 10:48 PM   #765
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573
Wow. Those are some long lowers. I'll have to take a measuring tape to it when I get home.
No 4 ft for both lowers. My arms are like 24 inches eye to eye I think

Edit: never mind 26 and a quarter just remembered

Tags
nc guys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.