The Yellowtail Build - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Yellowtail Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 11-09-2011, 09:30 PM   #46
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcannon111 View Post
i know it doesn't have a tire carrier, but i'd say go with TNT's, it provides a way better departure angle
Both the LoD and Rampage come with tire carriers. The LoD as a huge hinge pin for stability and strength. Does the TNT have light slots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2011, 11:14 AM   #47
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.tntcustoms.com/TandT/Jeep...ar/bumper.aspx

they have light cut outs so you can have your third break light. i'd say cut your own holes with a holesaw and put some genright back up lights in the holes. those lights are BRIGHTTTT!

here is a link to the genright reverse lights
http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo....ductid=LED1500
mcannon111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2011, 04:44 PM   #48
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcannon111 View Post
http://www.tntcustoms.com/TandT/Jeep...ar/bumper.aspx

they have light cut outs so you can have your third break light. i'd say cut your own holes with a holesaw and put some genright back up lights in the holes. those lights are BRIGHTTTT!

here is a link to the genright reverse lights
http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo....ductid=LED1500
Doesn't have a tire carrier and it requires welding. Also, the cutouts are square and id rather have round. They are for reverse lights though.

Quote:
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
Unread 11-16-2011, 05:12 PM   #49
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Can somebody help me with mouting locations? I hope to be able to add a VIAIR on-board air system w/ a 2.5gal tank, a Hornblasters Shocker XL train horn kit with 4 horns, and to move my PA horn off of my front bumper and into the engine compartment. I should be getting a roof rack soon so the horns could be mounted up there, but that requires running tubing across the rack. As far as in the cab, I woud like to add a controller for a WOLO strobe kit and at least a 800w power inverter. The problem is under the hood is a 4.0l WITH air conditioning and the entire trunk space is taken by a box for 2 10" subs, with an amplifier under the rear seat. Yea, that doesn't leave much space to work with. And please don't criticize.

Also, I used some electrical tape to simulate angry eyes and get an idea of how they would look. I do plan on replacing with Delta Quad Bars with strobes so this would be temporary. Unless I do it twice...
imag0241.jpg
imag0242.jpg
imag0243.jpg
How's it look? Any opinons on my space issues or angry eyes?

Ignore the cracks on the tint on left signal. It will be fixed.

Quote:
Unread 11-16-2011, 11:03 PM   #50
gangly
2004 TJ Wrangler 

i envy your jeep, my dad won't let me modify it at all, even with my OWN money :\ gotta be grateful that he lets me drive it though!
gangly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2011, 12:14 AM   #51
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangly View Post
i envy your jeep, my dad won't let me modify it at all, even with my OWN money :\ gotta be grateful that he lets me drive it though!
Haha thanks man. I'm not gonna lie, my dad owns the title. He also put up a pretty penny for my lift/tires/wheels because he liked the Fuel Hostages better than the Cragars that I could afford. But I bought the lift, tires and part of the wheels. It was a $3000 total bill. Also gave me the winch as a 17th bday present. I either bought or modded the rest of it myself.

Bump for more opinions on angry eyes and space issues. Cmon forum guys. Lemme hear those opinions.

Quote:
Unread 11-17-2011, 07:41 AM   #52
4wheelrampage

2005 LJ Wrangler 

As far as your space issues, I do not know how big your air compressor is, but mine is mounted on the (I don't know what to call it) spare battery tray on the passenger side. And my pa is mounted on the front drivers side fender. When I get mine back from the shop I can take a couple pics for ya

EDIT: Just to clarify, when I said on the fender, I did not mean on the outside, but on the inner fender.
4wheelrampage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2011, 04:01 PM   #53
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheelrampage View Post
As far as your space issues, I do not know how big your air compressor is, but mine is mounted on the (I don't know what to call it) spare battery tray on the passenger side. And my pa is mounted on the front drivers side fender. When I get mine back from the shop I can take a couple pics for ya
The compressor would be a VIAIR 480c, part of the ultra duty oba system (because it will one day run a shocker xl horn kit, ARB lockers and used to inflate 33-35" tires) It would probably fit on the tray but the 2.5 gal tank still has to go somewhere.

Quote:
Unread 11-20-2011, 04:48 PM   #54
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ive been working on my LED tail light, inspired by the tic tac tail light mod. Heres the progress so far. I am using 6 high intensity 10mm LEDs from Radio Shack and a plastic case that my old iPod Touch came in. Each bulb is rated for up to 2.4v. 5 would be ideal but they came in packs of two so I decided to use all six.
The workstation and lights soldiered together
imag0244.jpg
The lights soldiered
imag0245.jpg
A perfect fit for the case
imag0246.jpg
In the case looking down
imag0247.jpg
Power wires soldiered to each end and shrink tubed.
imag0248.jpg

EDIT: Why are my pictures so big? They just keep getting bigger everytime I post. My phone is retarted lol. Sorry guys.

Quote:

Last edited by sjones26573; 11-20-2011 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: Sorry for big pics
Unread 11-20-2011, 04:53 PM   #55
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

And a pic of the shrink tubing on each of the light connections. I shrinked it with the soldering iron and folded the excess on the end over and melted it in place.
imag0249.jpg

EDIT: Again, sorry for the huge pictures. I guess it just gives more detail lol.

Quote:

Last edited by sjones26573; 11-20-2011 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: Apoligies
Unread 11-20-2011, 09:19 PM   #56
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

if you use photobucket it shrinks it to perfect size for you. and is really easy to use!

live in sc? join [COLOR="Blue"]OffroadSC.com[/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/silver-bullet-1249782/"][COLOR="Silver"]The Silver Bullet[/COLOR][/URL]
mcannon111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2011, 08:31 PM   #57
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Today, I took the top down/doors off probably for the last time this year

Also, got more work done on my iPod case LED tail light. Lights cemented in and heat shrinked to the outside of the box. Hole siliconed and the rest will be siliconed soon.

It is plenty bright! (middle in wheel)

Quote:
Unread 11-21-2011, 10:25 PM   #58
karlo

Looking good! Nice job, man!
karlo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2011, 10:11 PM   #59
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlo View Post
Looking good! Nice job, man!
Thanks!

Quote:
Unread 11-24-2011, 11:30 PM   #60
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I was trying to figure out what I would use to mount my led tail light. And then i found this old license plate in my closet that my dad tore up when he ran a trailer up the back of his car. I covered the number up because he still runs this number.

I put the lid to the case on the end of the plate and traced around it.

I measured the distance between my wheel and the tailgate, the height from the tire carrier to the intended light position, and the distance to the bolts. Then I mapped out bend and cut lines on the plate, used tin snips to cut into the extra on either side, and bent between the snips. I tested it on the carrier and bent to adjust. Got it perfect.

I cut the excess off of the sides with the snips and then cut about a 1/2" off of the carrier side to make it fit properly.

I measured and drilled out two holes on the plate and melted two holes into the lid. I had to make them big enough to fit the screws and nuts shown because they were the only sets I could find in my house that fit each other (leftovers from a flatscreen mount and body Armor trail doors).

The light mounted on the tag with the screws and nuts. Fits perfectly.

At a different angle

Everything will be disassembled and painted black (except for the front obviously) and the case will be filled with silicone sealant behind the lights. More to come...

Quote:

Tags
nc guys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.