The Yellowtail Build - Page 148 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Yellowtail Build

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-29-2014, 06:15 AM   #2206
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sadly I didn't...

Replacing all CA bushings next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2014, 09:54 AM   #2207
goldensahara00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yikes. I have a little weeble wobble, but I got it under control. New axle with new ball joints etc, new tires and balance and alignment in the next few weeks, so I just cross my fingers. Last year I put my next front axle in 2 days before the trip, got bad death wobble the day before the trip going to the exhaust place, fixed it that night, and tested it the morning we left as well as welding up a bumper etc.

I hate doing things last minute so thats why I don't have anything done for this trip.

Let me know if you want to bounce some ideas around if you can't track it down.
Unread 07-29-2014, 05:49 PM   #2208
rt4422
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah front control arm bushings could be the culprit... Happened with mine
rt4422 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2014, 08:49 PM   #2209
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Picked up the front UCA bushings from Advance. While I was there I said what the hell and grabbed a Monroe SS as well. After dicking around trying to get the axle bushing out (I swear that sleeve was made from titanium) I only managed to get the passenger side bushings done. Honestly the stock bushings didn't look bad. Drive home and sure enough DW. Get home and go for broke. Bolt on the SS and go for a spin. No wobble. I know people call them a band-aid but I didn't buy it with the intention of stopping the DW, but rather preventing it by softening the road input that seems to set it off. If a $30 SS is what it takes to get me to my axle swap in a few months, so be it.

Quote:
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
Unread 07-29-2014, 09:10 PM   #2210
Richisinyoface
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573
Picked up the front UCA bushings from Advance. While I was there I said what the hell and grabbed a Monroe SS as well. After dicking around trying to get the axle bushing out (I swear that sleeve was made from titanium) I only managed to get the passenger side bushings done. Honestly the stock bushings didn't look bad. Drive home and sure enough DW. Get home and go for broke. Bolt on the SS and go for a spin. No wobble. I know people call them a band-aid but I didn't buy it with the intention of stopping the DW, but rather preventing it by softening the road input that seems to set it off. If a $30 SS is what it takes to get me to my axle swap in a few months, so be it.
Hi Seth, I know you have new tires, but is it possible something happened to one of them or maybe even a wheel? My wife's '06 TJ had the same trouble for a while, and she swore she didn't hit anything.... Maybe try switching the tires, fronts to the rears and see what happens, just a thought and wanted to throw it out there.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum

NRA Life member

Sienna Jeep club member #65
Richisinyoface is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2014, 08:11 AM   #2211
goldensahara00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Could have been one of the MTRs was out of round. Did they have issues balancing them? Your SS could have been junk too though. Glad you figured that out. How much were the UCA bushings? I need new axle end uppers.
Unread 07-30-2014, 09:58 AM   #2212
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldensahara00 View Post
Could have been one of the MTRs was out of round. Did they have issues balancing them? Your SS could have been junk too though. Glad you figured that out. How much were the UCA bushings? I need new axle end uppers.
No prob balancing. Didn't have a SS. ~$20 per arm.

Quote:
Unread 07-30-2014, 10:33 AM   #2213
20jeepster10
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I just had the Death Wobble too randomly, I pulled my steering Stabilizer and cycled it, it was fine the first 6 inches then it got all springy and felt like it had air in it, I replaced it with a $30 AutoZone Gabriel and its been great for over a week.
I really like your Jeep, I bought a 04 Yellow Rubicon this year, I didnt know I would like the color as much as I do!
I plan to dosome of the same mods that your doing, so Im following along.
Great Job!
20jeepster10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2014, 11:33 AM   #2214
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20jeepster10 View Post
I just had the Death Wobble too randomly, I pulled my steering Stabilizer and cycled it, it was fine the first 6 inches then it got all springy and felt like it had air in it, I replaced it with a $30 AutoZone Gabriel and its been great for over a week.
I really like your Jeep, I bought a 04 Yellow Rubicon this year, I didnt know I would like the color as much as I do!
I plan to dosome of the same mods that your doing, so Im following along.
Great Job!
The SS or lack thereof is not and cannot be the cause of DW. It can help reduce it, but the problem is elsewhere.

I'll be rotating the tires today because I seriously doubt it's the balljoints. While it's far from a conclusive test, I had dad push as hard as possible on the top of each tire rocking them in and out and saw no play.

Stay tuned. I've got a lot of fun mods done and a lot more to do. Of course my main definition of fun is anything that involves 12v.

Quote:
Unread 07-30-2014, 02:04 PM   #2215
JCJeep97
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573 View Post
Of course my main definition of fun is anything that involves 12v.
No. Just no.
Unread 07-30-2014, 03:17 PM   #2216
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJeep97
No. Just no.
This

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2014, 07:21 PM   #2217
Richisinyoface
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The SS or lack thereof is not and cannot be the cause of DW. It can help reduce it, but the problem is elsewhere. I'll be rotating the tires today because I seriously doubt it's the balljoints. While it's far from a conclusive test, I had dad push as hard as possible on the top of each tire rocking them in and out and saw no play. Stay tuned. I've got a lot of fun mods done and a lot more to do. Of course my main definition of fun is anything that involves 12v.
How did rotating the tires and the DW scenario turn out?

NRA Life member

Unread 08-04-2014, 07:29 PM   #2218
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Rotation fixed it and introduced a bumpy rear end. Got the tires rebalanced today and they agreed they were out.

Quote:
Unread 08-04-2014, 07:34 PM   #2219
Richisinyoface
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Rotation fixed it and introduced a bumpy rear end. Got the tires rebalanced today and they agreed they were out.
Good to hear

NRA Life member

Unread 08-07-2014, 08:18 PM   #2220
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ordered a KDC-BT558U to replace my old KDC-X395 and some foam baffles for the DB5251's. Looking forward to Bluetooth.

Quote:

Tags
nc guys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.