The Yellowtail Build - Page 148 - JeepForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #2206 of 2317 Old 07-29-2014, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
sjones26573
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Concord/Harmony/Raleigh
Posts: 9,835
Sadly I didn't...

Replacing all CA bushings next.


The Offroad Club @ NC State; Founder
The Yellowtail Build
Jeep-Owner.com
sjones26573 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2207 of 2317 Old 07-29-2014, 09:54 AM
goldensahara00
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: bedford
Posts: 343
Yikes. I have a little weeble wobble, but I got it under control. New axle with new ball joints etc, new tires and balance and alignment in the next few weeks, so I just cross my fingers. Last year I put my next front axle in 2 days before the trip, got bad death wobble the day before the trip going to the exhaust place, fixed it that night, and tested it the morning we left as well as welding up a bumper etc.

I hate doing things last minute so thats why I don't have anything done for this trip.

Let me know if you want to bounce some ideas around if you can't track it down.

American Jeepers Founder
Wheeling the East Coast
goldensahara00 is offline  
post #2208 of 2317 Old 07-29-2014, 05:49 PM
rt4422
Web Wheeler
 
rt4422's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 1,029
Yeah front control arm bushings could be the culprit... Happened with mine
rt4422 is offline  
post #2209 of 2317 Old 07-29-2014, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
sjones26573
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Concord/Harmony/Raleigh
Posts: 9,835
Picked up the front UCA bushings from Advance. While I was there I said what the hell and grabbed a Monroe SS as well. After dicking around trying to get the axle bushing out (I swear that sleeve was made from titanium) I only managed to get the passenger side bushings done. Honestly the stock bushings didn't look bad. Drive home and sure enough DW. Get home and go for broke. Bolt on the SS and go for a spin. No wobble. I know people call them a band-aid but I didn't buy it with the intention of stopping the DW, but rather preventing it by softening the road input that seems to set it off. If a $30 SS is what it takes to get me to my axle swap in a few months, so be it.

The Offroad Club @ NC State; Founder
The Yellowtail Build
Jeep-Owner.com
sjones26573 is offline  
post #2210 of 2317 Old 07-29-2014, 09:10 PM
Richisinyoface
Registered User
 
Richisinyoface's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Wilmington
Posts: 1,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573
Picked up the front UCA bushings from Advance. While I was there I said what the hell and grabbed a Monroe SS as well. After dicking around trying to get the axle bushing out (I swear that sleeve was made from titanium) I only managed to get the passenger side bushings done. Honestly the stock bushings didn't look bad. Drive home and sure enough DW. Get home and go for broke. Bolt on the SS and go for a spin. No wobble. I know people call them a band-aid but I didn't buy it with the intention of stopping the DW, but rather preventing it by softening the road input that seems to set it off. If a $30 SS is what it takes to get me to my axle swap in a few months, so be it.
Hi Seth, I know you have new tires, but is it possible something happened to one of them or maybe even a wheel? My wife's '06 TJ had the same trouble for a while, and she swore she didn't hit anything.... Maybe try switching the tires, fronts to the rears and see what happens, just a thought and wanted to throw it out there.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum

Just Empty Every Pocket.......yup they are empty all right.................

NRA Life member

Sienna Jeep club member #65
Richisinyoface is offline  
post #2211 of 2317 Old 07-30-2014, 08:11 AM
goldensahara00
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: bedford
Posts: 343
Could have been one of the MTRs was out of round. Did they have issues balancing them? Your SS could have been junk too though. Glad you figured that out. How much were the UCA bushings? I need new axle end uppers.

American Jeepers Founder
Wheeling the East Coast
goldensahara00 is offline  
post #2212 of 2317 Old 07-30-2014, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
sjones26573
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Concord/Harmony/Raleigh
Posts: 9,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldensahara00 View Post
Could have been one of the MTRs was out of round. Did they have issues balancing them? Your SS could have been junk too though. Glad you figured that out. How much were the UCA bushings? I need new axle end uppers.
No prob balancing. Didn't have a SS. ~$20 per arm.

The Offroad Club @ NC State; Founder
The Yellowtail Build
Jeep-Owner.com
sjones26573 is offline  
post #2213 of 2317 Old 07-30-2014, 10:33 AM
20jeepster10
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lapeer
Posts: 232
I just had the Death Wobble too randomly, I pulled my steering Stabilizer and cycled it, it was fine the first 6 inches then it got all springy and felt like it had air in it, I replaced it with a $30 AutoZone Gabriel and its been great for over a week.
I really like your Jeep, I bought a 04 Yellow Rubicon this year, I didnt know I would like the color as much as I do!
I plan to dosome of the same mods that your doing, so Im following along.
Great Job!
20jeepster10 is offline  
post #2214 of 2317 Old 07-30-2014, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
sjones26573
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Concord/Harmony/Raleigh
Posts: 9,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20jeepster10 View Post
I just had the Death Wobble too randomly, I pulled my steering Stabilizer and cycled it, it was fine the first 6 inches then it got all springy and felt like it had air in it, I replaced it with a $30 AutoZone Gabriel and its been great for over a week.
I really like your Jeep, I bought a 04 Yellow Rubicon this year, I didnt know I would like the color as much as I do!
I plan to dosome of the same mods that your doing, so Im following along.
Great Job!
The SS or lack thereof is not and cannot be the cause of DW. It can help reduce it, but the problem is elsewhere.

I'll be rotating the tires today because I seriously doubt it's the balljoints. While it's far from a conclusive test, I had dad push as hard as possible on the top of each tire rocking them in and out and saw no play.

Stay tuned. I've got a lot of fun mods done and a lot more to do. Of course my main definition of fun is anything that involves 12v.

The Offroad Club @ NC State; Founder
The Yellowtail Build
Jeep-Owner.com
sjones26573 is offline  
post #2215 of 2317 Old 07-30-2014, 02:04 PM
JCJeep97
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Raleigh
Posts: 1,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573 View Post
Of course my main definition of fun is anything that involves 12v.
No. Just no.

My Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/back-black-2000-tj-build-1237980/
JCJeep97 is offline  
post #2216 of 2317 Old 07-30-2014, 03:17 PM
tyvanwie
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Boone
Posts: 9,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJeep97
No. Just no.
This

I don't even own a jeep anymore
tyvanwie is offline  
post #2217 of 2317 Old 08-04-2014, 07:21 PM
Richisinyoface
Registered User
 
Richisinyoface's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Wilmington
Posts: 1,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573
The SS or lack thereof is not and cannot be the cause of DW. It can help reduce it, but the problem is elsewhere. I'll be rotating the tires today because I seriously doubt it's the balljoints. While it's far from a conclusive test, I had dad push as hard as possible on the top of each tire rocking them in and out and saw no play. Stay tuned. I've got a lot of fun mods done and a lot more to do. Of course my main definition of fun is anything that involves 12v.
How did rotating the tires and the DW scenario turn out?

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum

Just Empty Every Pocket.......yup they are empty all right.................

NRA Life member

Sienna Jeep club member #65
Richisinyoface is offline  
post #2218 of 2317 Old 08-04-2014, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
sjones26573
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Concord/Harmony/Raleigh
Posts: 9,835
Rotation fixed it and introduced a bumpy rear end. Got the tires rebalanced today and they agreed they were out.

The Offroad Club @ NC State; Founder
The Yellowtail Build
Jeep-Owner.com
sjones26573 is offline  
post #2219 of 2317 Old 08-04-2014, 07:34 PM
Richisinyoface
Registered User
 
Richisinyoface's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Wilmington
Posts: 1,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573
Rotation fixed it and introduced a bumpy rear end. Got the tires rebalanced today and they agreed they were out.
Good to hear

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum

Just Empty Every Pocket.......yup they are empty all right.................

NRA Life member

Sienna Jeep club member #65
Richisinyoface is offline  
post #2220 of 2317 Old 08-07-2014, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
sjones26573
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Concord/Harmony/Raleigh
Posts: 9,835
Ordered a KDC-BT558U to replace my old KDC-X395 and some foam baffles for the DB5251's. Looking forward to Bluetooth.

The Offroad Club @ NC State; Founder
The Yellowtail Build
Jeep-Owner.com
sjones26573 is offline  
Reply

Tags
nc guys

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Jeep Build: Minty White Country XJ Build GTEIS300 Jeep Builds 34 01-20-2013 10:42 AM
2000 TJ Build - LCG First Time Build japete01 Jeep Builds 82 06-07-2012 09:50 PM
JeepWJ26 Build--Johnny Cash Build JeepWJ26 Jeep Builds 31 01-09-2012 11:15 AM
JeepDVL45's 'Bruiser' Build -- A Daily Driver's slow build JeepDVL45 Jeep Builds 41 08-11-2011 09:44 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome