The Yellowtail Build - Page 147 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Yellowtail Build

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 07-08-2014, 06:26 PM   #2191
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
Yay! No hub caps!

Those things look huge on there.
Just for you... and the guys at DT.

They make dad's Nitto's look small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2014, 06:38 PM   #2192
Cavasar
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Great tires
Unread 07-08-2014, 06:40 PM   #2193
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavasar View Post
Great tires
We shall certainly see. They better be friggin amazing for what I paid. The 15-17 difference blows my mind.

Quote:
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
Unread 07-08-2014, 11:18 PM   #2194
LA-Sahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Might have missed it somewhere but why not the MTZs again? I thought you really liked them. Price? Availability?

Looks sweet though!
LA-Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2014, 11:30 PM   #2195
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-Sahara View Post
Might have missed it somewhere but why not the MTZs again? I thought you really liked them. Price? Availability?

Looks sweet though!
Wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

Quote:
Unread 07-08-2014, 11:34 PM   #2196
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Rock lights finally finished. Also put top/doors back on and packed it for Windrock.

Quote:
Unread 07-09-2014, 05:16 AM   #2197
goldensahara00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Glad you got them on and hope you like them. I like siping mine for the winter and I'm looking at adding some grooves to this set once I get some miles on them first though. Looks good man. The difference in tire price for 17s over 15s in anything is almost always stupid.
Unread 07-10-2014, 08:01 AM   #2198
JCJeep97
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573 View Post
Rock lights finally finished. Also put top/doors back on and packed it for Windrock.

Looks nice. Rock lights are pretty much the biggest pain in the *** project ever.
Unread 07-12-2014, 05:21 PM   #2199
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Finished up day 3 of wheeling. Long ride home in the morning.

Quote:
Unread 07-18-2014, 10:19 PM   #2200
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

After looking around for a week or so for an external locking draw latch for my CJ gate on sites like McMaster Carr and Grainger, I ended up stumbling across a trailer build forum with the perfect solution. Then, come to find out, we already had a brand new set sitting in a box in the garage. And best of all, they are a made-for-Jeep product, just not quite this application. Figured it out?

Rampage JK Locking Hood Latches. They are powder coated stainless instead of the powder coated zinc latches on the hardware sites, which would corrode in no time. Only extra step was to cut a 3/4" hole in the back of the tailgate to get the nut on.

Thread: http://tventuring.com/trailerforum/thread-309.html

In addition, I pulled the old tag light off my stock tailgate and wired it up until I find a solution I like. Also picked up a piece of 4'x4' 1/4" Steel Angle from the metal shop near my work to build the CJ cable brackets. Only wanted 6" but he found an 11" piece in the scrap pile so he just gave me the whole piece for $5. Picked up some stainless hex bolts for the hinges since the black oxide Grade 8 machine screws started rusting immediately. I have come to terms that I will have to settle for hex since I can't find another 5/16" 3 1/2" Allen Machine Screw like the PO gave me to save my life.

Quote:
Unread 07-21-2014, 10:57 PM   #2201
Bedwell
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Since your build thread is hundreds of pages / thousands of posts, would you mind sharing some more info about the wagoneer 44 swap?

From your first page post and some info I have been gathering:

1980+ Wagoneer Axle
TNT Truss
Chevy Small Bearing Spindles 706528x
Ford Hubs / Rotors
Chevy Brakes / Pads
Gears, Locker, Install Kit, etc.
Locking Hubs

What about steering? Are you planning to run hi-steer? Are different knuckles required?

https://www.youtube.com/user/RockCrawlinJeeps
Bedwell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2014, 10:53 AM   #2202
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedwell View Post
Since your build thread is hundreds of pages / thousands of posts, would you mind sharing some more info about the wagoneer 44 swap?

From your first page post and some info I have been gathering:

1980+ Wagoneer Axle
TNT Truss
Chevy Small Bearing Spindles 706528x
Ford Hubs / Rotors
Chevy Brakes / Pads
Gears, Locker, Install Kit, etc.
Locking Hubs

What about steering? Are you planning to run hi-steer? Are different knuckles required?
Chevy flat top knuckles drilled for hi steer arms are required for hi steer. I'm thinking about doing an all OTK steering and welding a bracket to put it into double sheer, since that'd be a significant amount of stress on the bolt. I'll be using Ruffstuff 7/8" heim steering.

Quote:
Unread 07-26-2014, 09:35 PM   #2203
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Installed the new antenna mount and got my antenna back on. In the process I managed to accidentally drill an extra hole, slightly dent in the tub using a screw as a punch, and then majorly dent out the tub trying to get the first dent out but hitting too hard and too far over. Managed to mostly straighten it out with a hammer and paper booklet (padding) but the dents and cracked paint are pretty obvious if you're looking for it. It'll all be covered in armor before too long so I'm not beating myself up about it. Overall happy with the turnout. Best of all, I can now get in the garage without pulling the antenna.

While I had the grinder and cutoff out (had to trim the mount's reinforcement plate to fit it under the tub rail), I cut the end of one of my extra Fabtech LCA's off to measure the ID. Going to order some tube inserts and Duroflex joints to put on one end of the extra arms and swap them out in the front. The joints will eventually get recycled for my 3 link/axle swap later in the year.

Quote:
Unread 07-28-2014, 10:26 PM   #2204
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Death Wobble came back at full force. Hit about 40 and the slightest bump and it instantaneously went into bezerk mode. First I notice a lot of play in the tie rod and an odd dead/rough spot in it when twisting it. I could tell it was the outer plus the grease inside, which I had just recently greased, was black and metallic. So I swap that for the Napa TRE off my bent ZJ rod. Tie rod no longer had play and I thought I was out of the woods. Off for dinner and it's worse then before. Now I'm worried I'm not getting to work in the AM (I commute 1/2-1 hour, depending whose house I leave from, at 6 AM). I start checking bolts, only finding a slightly loose lower CA bolt and snugging up the others. Then we start thinking the tires look odd. Go to check alignment and it was over 1" toe-in (ironically we thought it was toed out looking at it). I hadn't bothered re-aligning it after mounting the MT/R's since it was dead on before. Glad the DW arose before it damaged the new tires. Adjusted it several times, taking it up the block and back each time to see where it'd settle. Got it to 3/16" in, adjusted it out a hair, and took it for a final spin out to the I-85 overpass and back (the area I had had repeated DW earlier), pretty much letting the wheel do what it wanted. It'd only occasionally lightly shimmy, and killed itself out with no input from me after only a second or two. I'm not convinced it won't return, but we got it for now and I can go to work in the morning.

Quote:
Unread 07-29-2014, 04:28 AM   #2205
goldensahara00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Don't you love the random DW. I get a little wobble action from the trackbar bolt that always seems to loosen itself. Glad you get it figured out.

Tags
nc guys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.