The Yellowtail Build - Page 131 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Yellowtail Build

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Building a Bumper?

Unread 12-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #1951
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573 View Post
I don't mind the work, its the pricetag that makes me cringe, and the thought that it could be the trans again. I am not ready for trans #4.
Right. I'm always thinking of the worst when the jeep makes a noise, like how am I going to afford some type of powertrain or axle swap

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #1952
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak17 View Post
Right. I'm always thinking of the worst when the jeep makes a noise, like how am I going to afford some type of powertrain or axle swap
If it's the 30 acting up (which is unlikely) I was looking to swap the 44 in over winter anyways. Just need wheels for the new bolt pattern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 04:04 PM   #1953
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I do remember my dad saying the truetrac would make a clacking noise from time to time, could be that.
Jankoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2013, 07:44 AM   #1954
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
I do remember my dad saying the truetrac would make a clacking noise from time to time, could be that.
Yea, I was curious about that as well, but I've stomped on it thousands of times no problem and it just now becomes an issue, which is getting easier and easier to initiate.

Quote:
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
Unread 12-10-2013, 09:36 PM   #1955
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The popping is so bad now I can't move in first without it happening. It is rapid fire and doesn't affect power. I am deathly afraid it is the trans.

Quote:
Unread 12-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #1956
mncdriver
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I would pull front drive shaft and see if noise goes away, if not, then try and isolate it. Could be u-joint in front axle shafts, or even joints in rear drive shaft.
mncdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #1957
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Using this guide as reference
http://www.onallcylinders.com/2012/0...veline-noises/

It seems like the best explanation would be a chipped pinion gear tooth or 2.

Noise: Banging or heavy clicking every two to three feet during acceleration or deceleration, but not both
Cause: High spot or heavy chip on pinion gear tooth

Only thing is it isn't constant but is quickly becoming constant.

Quote:
Unread 12-11-2013, 07:02 PM   #1958
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

That sounds very plausible now that you mention it. Very well could be a couple of chipped ring gear teethe in the front. As it wears more the ring gear will get stuck in that spot and the pinion gear will grind against it. I've seen it happen on the trail when a guy blew his front lp30 and had to drive off the trail afterward. Easy way to tell is to pull the front driveshaft. If that is the case you can drive home just fine.
Unread 12-11-2013, 07:06 PM   #1959
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That sounds very plausible now that you mention it. Very well could be a couple of chipped ring gear teethe in the front. As it wears more the ring gear will get stuck in that spot and the pinion gear will grind against it. I've seen it happen on the trail when a guy blew his front lp30 and had to drive off the trail afterward. Easy way to tell is to pull the front driveshaft. If that is the case you can drive home just fine.
I don't suppose that would be Mason you are referring to as "a guy"?

However, how would removing the front shaft change anything if it's in 2wd? No locking hubs so the diff will still be spinning.

Plus it seems to me it'd be more likely to be the rear since it's 2wd/torque related.

Quote:
Unread 12-11-2013, 07:11 PM   #1960
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I don't suppose that would be Mason you are referring to as "a guy"?

However, how would removing the front shaft change anything if it's in 2wd? No locking hubs so the diff will still be spinning.

Plus it seems to me it'd be more likely to be the rear since it's 2wd/torque related.
No, Mason is not who I'm referring to. I wasn't there when he blew his d30.

You said you could feel it in the shifter right? Removing the driveshaft would alleviate that. I seriously doubt it is the rear, you would've fragged the gears by now if it was. The problem would be much more obvious.
Unread 12-11-2013, 07:15 PM   #1961
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No, Mason is not who I'm referring to. I wasn't there when he blew his d30.

You said you could feel it in the shifter right? Removing the driveshaft would alleviate that. I seriously doubt it is the rear, you would've fragged the gears by now if it was. The problem would be much more obvious too.
I can feel it in the shifter, which I wouldn't think I would be able to feel the front. And it has gotten really bad, really fast. Much worse than what you saw at URE. Bad enough that I can't drive it in fear if it fragging.

Quote:
Unread 12-11-2013, 07:20 PM   #1962
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I can feel it in the shifter, which I wouldn't think I would be able to feel the front. And it has gotten really bad, really fast. Much worse than what you saw at URE. Bad enough that I can't drive it in fear if it fragging.
You can try pulling the rear shaft and driving around fwd, but I find it highly unlikely that would be the problem. The front is spinning just as much as the rear, so you'll feel it just the same if something is wrong. Just try pulling the shafts seperately and see if you can isolate the issue.
Unread 12-11-2013, 07:21 PM   #1963
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You can try pulling the rear shaft and driving around fwd, but I find it highly unlikely that would be the problem. The front is spinning just as much as the rear, so you'll feel it just the same if something is wrong. Just try pulling the shafts seperately and see if you can isolate the issue.
I'll do that, but it'll have to wait until tomorrow after my last final unfortunately.

Quote:
Unread 12-11-2013, 07:25 PM   #1964
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I hope it is the 30 because the 8.8 would entitle a hell of a lot more work.

Quote:
Unread 12-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #1965
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I hope it is the 30 because the 8.8 would entitle a hell of a lot more work.
Nah, just a really good excuse to put those 4.88s in!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.