The Yellowtail Build - Page 117 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Yellowtail Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 06-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #1741
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Im saying they are useless because he should already have stock waggy knuckles. I'm probably not gonna do highsteer on mine. I really like how Ronnie setup his steering/track bar on his ZJ. I'm probably gonna do mine similar to his with stock ford knuckles. I'm definitely using 7/8 heims.

Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 12:47 PM   #1742
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have knuckles. And I planned on 7/8" heims

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #1743
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573 View Post
A good excuse for some Jerry Cans
This makes no sense to me. Just my thoughts from another perspective. You are going to take a component out that is working perfectly to stretch.... aka the stock tank, I understand that. Then put in an undersized fuel cell for the extra room underneath (while taking up room in the tub), then buy something else to carry extra fuel to have on hand? Then possibly have fumes or spilled gas in your passenger compartment. And you still have to find a place to mount/carry the jerry cans? And you still will be filling up more often than regularly?

That seems like a lot of extra junk to do just to move the rear axle back. Maybe that is just the way I think. Why not buy the pure jeep or genright unit that has the stock capacity and run it in the stock location where the shape will allow you to move the rear axle back? I know it is a little more expensive.... $5-600, but depending on the jerry cans and how you mount them and all the extra stuff you will have to do to get the fuel cell in, then factor in the extra time..... It just seems to me that you are trying to find solutions to a problem that you haven't even created yet when you can just step around the problem.
Unread 06-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #1744
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
This makes no sense to me. Just my thoughts from another perspective. You are going to take a component out that is working perfectly to stretch.... aka the stock tank, I understand that. Then put in an undersized fuel cell for the extra room underneath (while taking up room in the tub), then buy something else to carry extra fuel to have on hand? Then possibly have fumes or spilled gas in your passenger compartment. And you still have to find a place to mount/carry the jerry cans? And you still will be filling up more often than regularly?

That seems like a lot of extra junk to do just to move the rear axle back. Maybe that is just the way I think. Why not buy the pure jeep or genright unit that has the stock capacity and run it in the stock location where the shape will allow you to move the rear axle back? I know it is a little more expensive.... $5-600, but depending on the jerry cans and how you mount them and all the extra stuff you will have to do to get the fuel cell in, then factor in the extra time..... It just seems to me that you are trying to find solutions to a problem that you haven't even created yet when you can just step around the problem.
I guess you missed the trackbar issues I've been having.

Quote:
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
Unread 06-19-2013, 02:38 PM   #1745
LifeProof
SEMPER FIDELIS

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Edit: I could be way off from what is really going on here but from what I've been following this is how I feel about it

Here's my perspective on the whole thing, keeping in mind I don't know you personally and have never watched you wheel.

Obviously money is a major a factor.

Here's how I see it.

For me it cost about $200 dollars to go to URE last time, all the gas/food/etc.

If I spend say $1000 on mods that make my TJ better offroad, well that's 5 trips that I could have gone on and then once I'm able to save up enough money to go I am finding myself in a situation where it's not as thrilling because I can do the trails easier.

Again, I don't know how long you've been wheeling URE and from the looks of organizing dates and planning, the harder places like gulches and Harlan will never be traversed, at least not for a while.

So why build up and spend money to have fun scarcely when you can stay where you are at and go to URE much more than you would be able to if you do the stretch and everything

Granted, modding our vehicles is a passion but a lot of times It seems like people go to far.

I'm not telling you how to build your jeep at all, you probably have been wheeling before I even know the difference between a TJ and a YJ.

I'm just saying I would have done things differently if I could change time, and I'm not nearly into modifications as you.

My buddy did all the trails with me except for Daniel and his TJ is stock whereas I have maybe $3,500 into mine. I could have gone to URE about 18 times in the past two years and had just as much fun as I did that one time I went.

Idk, i hope you can understand this is just my personal thoughts and take them with a grain of salt or whatever. It's is just the mindset I've had recently about my build as well and thought I would chime in with my opinion

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum

SEMPER FI
LifeProof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 04:06 PM   #1746
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The reason I'm doing this is so I can go places like Harlan an Gulches. Uwharrie gets old.

Quote:
Unread 06-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #1747
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I go to URE all weekend for under $50 including gas. Also, I'd rather go to Gulches once than URE 10 times. That place gets boring quick.

I do agree on spending less money though. I think you should do the stock tank mod for now. If you decide on a fuel cell later it isnt much work to stretch more (depending on how you do the coils). Basically just more tubing and new tube inserts. Besides, you can get 4" rear with the stock tank, and if you do the waggy 44 similar to Mason you can get 3" in the front. Thats 7" of wheelbase stretch on the cheap, and that's really all you need.
Unread 06-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #1748
LifeProof
SEMPER FIDELIS

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The reason I'm doing this is so I can go places like Harlan an Gulches. Uwharrie gets old.

ok, sounds good. I didn't know that about your plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
I go to URE all weekend for under $50 including gas.
ok well that makes my point even more so

Quote:
Also, I'd rather go to Gulches once than URE 10 times. That place gets boring quick.
right, but that's because you have such a nicely built rig. if you have 31's and no winch that would be a much different story.

im not saying no one should build their rigs, not by far.

its just like the TJ vs JK topic. you can buy a TJ and hook it up with some nice modifications for way less than what a JK sport would cost stock.

I see it in a lot of write ups in various magazines, editors are always talking about how their "other rigs" (the ones almost bone stock) are way more fun to wheel than their ones with rockwells and 40"+s

SEMPER FI
Unread 06-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #1749
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeProof View Post
ok well that makes my point even more so
How so? That's chump change compared to what it costs most people a weekend of wheeling. Seth has a bit longer drive than me, but not by much, so his cost should be pretty similar.

Quote:
right, but that's because you have such a nicely built rig. if you have 31's and no winch that would be a much different story.
Wrong. I actually have 2 nicely built rigs, a LJ and a TJ. I took my TJ on every trail at URE, even Daniel (all of it, not just the easy parts), back when it was stock on 31" ATs. Thats more than most people would do at URE in a stock rig, and I still found it boring there. Not trying to bash the place, it is great if you want to do some mild wheeling and get out of the house for the weekend, but if you want to do some serious wheeling it sucks. Serious wheeling, like Gulches and Harlan, require a much more built rig to do the big boy trails. Seth has obviously moved on from the bunny trails. 31s and stock axles wont do for that.
Unread 06-19-2013, 06:13 PM   #1750
LifeProof
SEMPER FIDELIS

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
How so? That's chump change compared to what it costs most people a weekend of wheeling. Seth has a bit longer drive than me, but not by much, so his cost should be pretty similar.
well to from your stand point of NOT wanting to go that renders my point mute, however my point was directed towards wanting to go. the less money it costs to enjoy the weekend the more weekends you can enjoy. that's all.

Quote:
Seth has obviously moved on from the bunny trails. 31s and stock axles wont do for that.
I just found this out

Quote:
Quote:
ok, sounds good. I didn't know that about your plans.

SEMPER FI
Unread 06-19-2013, 06:52 PM   #1751
LA-Sahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, I got behind fast. Haha
Seth, in your decision on fuel cell or not I see you ask about room for your spare. Are you not going to have a spare tire carrier on the back anymore? I'm thinking it probably has to do with departure angle, but the fold down stinger kind seem real nice. Or is it a money issue?
LA-Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 06:59 PM   #1752
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

He's going to run a CJ tailgate

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 08:41 PM   #1753
LA-Sahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Still could do a tire carrier with that?
LA-Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 08:46 PM   #1754
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-Sahara View Post
Still could do a tire carrier with that?
Could but don't want to.

Quote:
Unread 06-19-2013, 08:46 PM   #1755
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Could do a Genright.

-Jack
BamaJeepman21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.