XJAbuzer's 2000 XJ - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > XJAbuzer's 2000 XJ

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 04-28-2010, 10:21 PM   #91
XJAbuzer
2000 XJ Cherokee 

IIRC the leaves were $300 from Suplee's 4wd (a local distributor). I would have to dig through my incredibly fat receipt folder to confirm that price. It was either $300 or $350.

....and yeah, I forget that my motor is not stock. Its not a full blown stroker, but still not stock.

My Youtube Channel

1979 CJ-5 304 V-8, T-150 3 speed, Dana 20, Dana 30 front, AMC 20 rear, Sold

Anyways, I wanna go wheelin'!
XJAbuzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2010, 10:44 PM   #92
CJS

Random question, in this picture you have a set of disconnects...did they come with your RE6130 lift? Reason I ask is b/c they are the same ones that came with my jeep and might help identify some of the other parts on the jeep as being RE.

Unread 08-24-2010, 12:03 AM   #93
XJAbuzer
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yes, those came with the 6130 kit.

My Youtube Channel

Unread 08-24-2010, 03:16 PM   #94
CJS

Thanks!

Whatever happened to the RE leaf springs? I see someone asking about the BDS leafs but don't see anywhere in the thread where you replaced them?
Unread 08-24-2010, 05:09 PM   #95
XJAbuzer
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Well, I went on a griping binge for some time about them and I figured I would leave it out of this thread because I had posted it around JeepForum enough. I copied and pasted the text from my review of this kit in the review threads....

Quote:
Rubicon Express does not stand behind their products. I forgot to mention that one of the RE monotube shocks started leaking a few months after I installed the lift. I contacted them about that and they said "You overflexed it, we wont replace it" HELLO....I bought the shocks to match the kit I installed on the Jeep....and they were bought at the same time!

I had a rear leaf start sagging and the other one was twisted, looked like someone wrung it out like a rag. Both rear leaves were worn the heck out after 2 years of being on my Jeep and it was leaning to the passenger side badly. I contacted RE to get them replaced under warranty but they refused stating "It was not a fault of the spring, you have something wrong with your Jeep."

Yeah right, even Bob Supplee from Supplees Offroad (who saw the packs in person and the one I purchased the original lift from) thought they should have replaced them.

I replaced them with BDS leaves and the lean was gone....and it rides much better now, better than it did when they RE leaves were new. Now I just gotta replace the worn out coils.

I later contacted them about replacement rubber bushings for the control arms. They replaced the bushings for free (due to a recall on the original ones, see document Bushing recall). Rubicon Express asked me how many bushings I needed and I told them "All the ones that come with the control arms in the 6130 kit." They sent me only the 2 bushings for the LCAs (figures) When I contacted them about the other 2 bushings, the reply was "somewhere in all of this the message that I got was that the problem was in the lower bushings.I will be more than happy to send uppers but somehow it looks like that got lost in communication" ...OK....whats so hard to understand about "I need ALL the rubber bushings for the control arms for the 6130 kit" I never said anything about just needing LCA bushings. They did end up sending me the bushings for the upper arms.

So there is my beef with RE....not just one problem, but several, hence why I will never buy another RE product again.
So, now you know why I am anti RE. I have had my BDS leaves on for over a year with no issues. I love them. Eventually, I am replacing the coils with BDS coils. The only RE parts left on my rig are the coils, the H&T SYE, and the swaybar disconnects (I removed my swaybar completely so technically the discos are not on it either) and that is too many RE parts in my book. They are on my "do not buy" list.

My Youtube Channel

Unread 08-24-2010, 06:41 PM   #96
CJS

Yeah I hear ya, reason I am so interested is that I have been trying to track down the origin of my leaf springs but they are not sagging and seem to be a very nice spring pack. The bushings however sound like they need replacing with random clunks/bangs coming from the rear suspension.

If you can remember were there any identifying marks on the RE springs that identified them as being RE?
Unread 08-24-2010, 07:44 PM   #97
XJAbuzer
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJS View Post

If you can remember were there any identifying marks on the RE springs that identified them as being RE?

Yes. The part number (RE1462 I think) in large white letters and "Made In India" was printed on the top of the leaf packs.

My Youtube Channel

Unread 08-25-2010, 09:24 AM   #98
CJS

Ok I will have to try and get some of the rust off the top leafs but thanks for the clue.
Unread 08-29-2010, 12:39 AM   #99
XJAbuzer
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I took it out today. It hasnt really been out because of several issues. A friend just bought a Sami and he wanted me to go out. I am glad I did. It has me motivated to get this thing trail ready again once I get back from my Colorado trip. I leave for Colorado Sept 4th and will be there for a week in my ladies WK. Once I get back, I have a to-do list on the XJ...

1) Make Limiting straps. I kept dumping coils today because I am still running the RE 4.5 coils with the IRO long arms. It caused my drivers side coil to get bound up against the shock and I bent the body of the shock

2) Replace bent shock

3) Replace the motor mount with the one Brown Dog sent me. One of the bushings are destroyed on mine.

4) Trim more. The tires are eating the fenders for lunch.

5) Put on the stock WJ rear shocks I got from my buddy. I still have the 4.5 RE shocks back there and since I shortened the shock mounts, they only have about 2 inches of compression left. The stock WJ shocks should be about the right length and they are free.

6) Install the transfer case shifter I bought from Novak. My linkage is mangled and it will not stay in 4wl or 4wh. I did all wheeling today in 2wd.

7) Replace the wiring harness that runs to the o2 sensors. My wire became entagled in the drive shaft and pulled the wires out of the O2 sensor plug. My O2 sensors aren't even hooked up right now.

8) Rebuild both drive shafts

9) Replace steering shaft. Mine is cracking and popping like crazy.

10) Buy a spare

Now you can understand why it wont be making the Colorado trip this year. Luckily I live less than a mile from work.

I did snap a pic while I was out there though. Not at full flex. You can see the spring still has a way to go before it comes out. The rear hardly has any flex because the shocks are limiting tuck...

My Youtube Channel

Unread 08-29-2010, 04:27 PM   #100
CJS

How long of a brake line are you running up front? Also what shocks/length? Typically they are sold by lift height but with those long arms I am sure you aren't running the standard 4.5" lift shocks now that you have crazy droop with the LA's.
Unread 08-29-2010, 04:31 PM   #101
TYphoonXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

What kind of steering setup do you have? Do you have a drop pitman arm?
Unread 08-29-2010, 04:45 PM   #102
XJAbuzer
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJS View Post
How long of a brake line are you running up front? Also what shocks/length? Typically they are sold by lift height but with those long arms I am sure you aren't running the standard 4.5" lift shocks now that you have crazy droop with the LA's.

I still have the brake lines that came with the RE6130 kit. I am still getting enough droop to drop out the coils. The limiting straps will be shorter than the brake lines. That is only going to be temporary until I buy longer coils....then I will replace the brake lines.

I am running Doetsch Tech 8000 Prerunner Shocks for 6" of lift in the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYphoonXJ View Post
What kind of steering setup do you have? Do you have a drop pitman arm?
I am running stock steering with a IRON ROCK OFF ROAD: Heavy Duty Tie Rod. I have a 1 inch drop pitman arm. My plans are to purchase an IRON ROCK OFF ROAD: Heavy Duty Over the Knuckle Steering kit when I get my profit sharing check.

My Youtube Channel

Unread 08-29-2010, 04:56 PM   #103
TYphoonXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJAbuzer View Post
I still have the brake lines that came with the RE6130 kit. I am still getting enough droop to drop out the coils. The limiting straps will be shorter than the brake lines. That is only going to be temporary until I buy longer coils....then I will replace the brake lines.

I am running Doetsch Tech 8000 Prerunner Shocks for 6" of lift in the front.

I am running stock steering with a IRON ROCK OFF ROAD: Heavy Duty Tie Rod. I have a 1 inch drop pitman arm. My plans are to purchase an IRON ROCK OFF ROAD: Heavy Duty Over the Knuckle Steering kit when I get my profit sharing check.
Thanks man appreciate it. I need to put my drop pitman arm on. My steering is limiting me so much. I cant drop a coil
Unread 08-29-2010, 09:23 PM   #104
portcityXJ
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJAbuzer View Post

Sweet. Im thinking of doing the same steering setup. I'm having trouble with my JKS discos contacting the lower draglink TRE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricRollerSkate View Post
Do they come in any other varieties besides crap?
portcityXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2010, 10:57 PM   #105
aircruiser
gravity sucks

1996 XJ Cherokee 

nice xj man! you will love the OTK steering. pure beef! loving the wheeling pics, seems like you guys have alot of that orange clay like we have up in MN on the iron range. nasty stuff, never comes off.
aircruiser is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.