XJAbuzer's 2000 XJ - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > XJAbuzer's 2000 XJ

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 01-16-2011, 12:51 AM   #151
XJAbuzer
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks. Yes, it is Webasto.

My Youtube Channel

1979 CJ-5 304 V-8, T-150 3 speed, Dana 20, Dana 30 front, AMC 20 rear, Sold

Anyways, I wanna go wheelin'!
XJAbuzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2011, 04:22 PM   #152
Crush03
1998 XJ Cherokee 

love the build hows the iro LA kit
Unread 01-16-2011, 06:30 PM   #153
XJAbuzer
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks. I really like it so far

My Youtube Channel

Unread 01-16-2011, 09:39 PM   #154
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Jeep looks great! Just read your whole build! I'm jealous of the IRO long arms. Do you know what caused your original motor to go boom? About how many miles did it have?

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2011, 12:27 AM   #155
XJAbuzer
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you. The 4.0 had 143K on it. The only reason it went is because number 5 injector was stuck open. Washed out the cylinder with gas and the rest is history. I kept wondering why it was running rich before it went. I checked just about everything but the injectors. By the time I checked them, it was too late.

My Youtube Channel

Unread 01-17-2011, 02:02 AM   #156
ktmman656

sweet ride
ktmman656 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2011, 01:07 AM   #157
XJAbuzer
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Well, I havent updated this for a while because the Jeep has come to a standstill due to financial strains. Fortunately, I can almost see the light so I will be able to do stuff to it again soon.

I got lucky on Saturday. I have a buddy with an 02 WJ Limited with a 4.7l and he blew the engine. He bought a wrecked 04 WJ Special Edition for the engine. I helped him swap out the engines on Saturday and he gave me the steering knuckles, Akebono calipers, caliper brackets, rotors, drag link, and tie rod from the 04 WJ SE...best of all the price was FREE for helping him.

Looks like I will be going WJ steering and brakes soon. I spoke with Josh at IronRock Offroad and asked him if the IRO OTK steering kit would work with WJ knuckles on an XJ. He told me that the tie rod would be about an inch too short. He said that he could custom build me one for $180 and it would take 12 weeks. That doesn't fit into my budget and I would rather have the crossover steering from the WJ anyways. Needless to say, the IRO OTK will be getting sold.

Now, before the parts hounds start battling over the IRO OTK kit and start bugging me about selling it, keep in mind that the WJ swap will not be happening until the transfer case is rebuilt, which might still be a month or so away. I don't want to spend $40 on the JKS spacers needed for the swap until I fix what is broke on the XJ. Not to mention I have to locate another pitman arm because I drilled mine out for the IRO OTK kit.

Anyways, have fun out there in Jeep land!

My Youtube Channel

Unread 05-03-2011, 03:31 PM   #158
2doorxj
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Lovin the jeep man, any updates? those knuckles, steering, and brakes in yet?

2012 Cherokee of the Year
2doorxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2011, 06:20 PM   #159
XJAbuzer
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks. No updates as of yet. I am not buying anything else (like the JKS spacers I need for the hubs) for the Jeep until I track down the misfire problem and rebuild the transfer case. It is currently sitting and not being driven

Life has thrown me a lot of curve balls over the last year or so and it has been hard to focus on the Jeep mentally and financially. I will post when updates come.

Good news is, I already have a buyer for the IRO steering when I pull it. A good buddy of mine is buying it for $300.

My Youtube Channel

Unread 01-06-2012, 09:46 PM   #160
XJAbuzer
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I am going Sunday to help a buddy yank a drivetrain from a parts XJ. He is going to give me the transfer case and I am hopefully gas tank from it along with the fuel pump and lines. Mine has sat so long that the gas turned bad and it wont even start now.

Before I parked mine, it developed a misfire and I yanked the fuel rail and it was full of dirt. I think there is crud in my tank and lines. Hopefully some work will start soon on it.

My Youtube Channel

Unread 03-03-2012, 11:50 PM   #161
XJAbuzer
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The case I got from my buddy had 100,000 miles on it. While I was tearing it down to install my hacked and tapped shaft into it, I replaced all the bearings, seals, and the chain. Tomorrow we are taking out the fuel tank to clean it, installing a new fuel pump, and installing the new starter.

I am currently running 4.5" springs with my JKS ACOS spun down 2" to make it 6.5". Because of this, when I am at max flex, I am dropping out coils. I ordered some IRO 6.5" springs today along with extended brake lines and new rear shocks since the 4.5" shocks are too short since I shortened the mounts up.

Oh, I got tired of getting hit in the head with the rear hatch so I bought some hatch holding cylinders too...hatch stays up now.

My Youtube Channel

Unread 03-04-2012, 12:53 AM   #162
XJgensamer
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Very nice. I like the pics, keep it up!!
XJgensamer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2012, 01:20 AM   #163
XJAbuzer
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Got the transfer case installed on Sunday and the fuel pump changed and the tank and lines cleaned out. They surprisingly were not that dirty. The Jeep is now running and the transfer case and replacement used transmission are working fine so far. I still have a bad misfire that I think is attributed to wiring or a bad sensor somewhere. My brake pedal is also high and hard and it is not stopping good at all so I think my booster went bad while it was sitting.

I ordered 6.5" coils for the front, extended brake lines, coil retainers, and shorter shocks for the rear.

Pics:

IRO SYE to replace the RE SYE....I can use the front driveshaft in the rear now without that stupid little part that the RE SYE required

The pile of mud that came out of my filler tube guard:

Filter with 160K miles and roughly 60K of those have been through lots of dirt and dust with me. It was needing done:

Rebuilt rear drive shaft from IRO:

The reason I ordered shorter shocks:

My Youtube Channel

Unread 04-30-2012, 12:59 AM   #164
XJAbuzer
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Boy, this has been one wild time figuring out this misfire.

When the misfire started, it would be running fine, then start misfiring. I could shut it off and turn it back on and it would run fine. This would happen every once in a while. Suddenly, one day it started misfiring and would not quit.

I was thinking "Cold day, coil pack went." so I replaced it...still ran like crap.

One day, a buddy and I were troubleshooting it and changed out the plugs. Fired it off and heard a cluck that almost sounded like a backfire and I shut it off right away. Pulled the plugs and they were a tad longer than the ones I took out.

To make a long story short, we got the right ones. Fired it up and it still had the same misfire as before, acted no differently.

Today, we were changing out the CPS and noticed the oil pump drive shaft that the CPS connects to (for you distributor guys it looks a lot like the gear on the end of your distributor) and it had some play in it. Got a new one and replaced it. Then it was running quite a bit better but still not quite right...rough and still seemed to have a different "feeling" misfire, for lack of better words.

Pulled off the valve cover and lo and behold:

So basically, the oil pump drive shaft and the CPS was the source of the original misfire and the spark plug incident was the source of the push rod failure (that was the loud cluck that we hear that almost sounded like a backfire through the throttle body.) Funny thing is, the plug had no damage. I think the piston is fine. I have a feeling that the valve came down and hit the side of the plug and since the pushrod is softer, it is what gave.

New push rod will be here in the morning. I hope no more damage exists..........looked down in the push rod hole as best as we could and cam and all still look good so my fingers are crossed.....

My Youtube Channel

Unread 04-30-2012, 02:37 AM   #165
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Damn never heard of that happening before, hopefully you caught it in time. That sucks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.