Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

XJAbuzer's 2000 XJ

47K views 253 replies 56 participants last post by  SeaWulf 
#1 · (Edited)
Abuzed 2000 Cherokee...black -n- blue build

I have been at this site for quite some time now but I have never created a rig thread, so here we are.

I bought the Jeep in 2006 bone stock with the exception of a power sunroof. 4.0l, AW4, 29 spline 8.25....

The first mod I did to it was some JKS discos...

Next, I trimmed the fenders and managed to stuff some 31s under it that were purchased for $150 from a co-worker...

...followed shortly by some Herculiner across the lower portion....

Fast forward to September of 2007, when I purchased my RE6130 and installed it at my friends shop....gotta love access to a mechanics lift.

Around a month later, I got a C4x4 winch bumper and rear bumper...

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
February of 2008 I purchased some TrXus MTs 31x10.50

Fast forward again to August of 2008. After many miles of abuse, the 4.0 developed a knock. It was rebuild time. Since it is my daily driver, I needed a motor I could build on while I still used my Jeep to get back and forth to work. I bought a H.O. motor that came out of a 1993 with 160,000 miles on it.

Machined crank .010 over

020 over bore

Double timing chain set

gapless rings and cerami-coated pistons (I only have a pic of the pistons...taken at the machine shop that I purchased them from....got them cheaper that way)

Head decked .010 and rebuilt by the machine shop

Hesco #HESSPRSS6 4.0L Performance Valve Springs & Retainers

It also has Hesco #RVOB6 4.0-4.2L Camshaft & Lifters (not pictured) and Hesco #PR-301 72-76 Stamped Rocker Push Rods 9.594" Length.

Getting ready to tear out the dead dog...

Oh....whats this in number 5 intake port?!?!?!?

The oil/water mix was like paste..

Number 5 piston was laying in the bottom of the pan...

You can see all the way to the bottom of the head....

Yup, this block is toast....

I found out as I was back washing the injectors to put them on the new motor that number 5 injector was stuck open. I have a feeling that's what caused this.

On to the new motor.

Painted it Mopar blue and purchased a cheap header and had it cerami-coated.

Got it in the Jeep...sitting on Brown Dog Offroad motor mounts.

With the motor install came a 2.5 inch exhaust with a Thrush muffler made of 301 stainless fully welded. It has a nice sound to it.

#3 ·
A few months ago I got a DPG offroad belly skid and an Aussie Locker in the 8.25

Now on to some action....

Here I had a friends wife riding with me.

Here I bent a rim at the end of the video.

Some more when I was playing around at our local spot...

That is all for now. More updates will be posted as they come around. I am currently gathering parts and money to properly move up to 35s.

#4 · (Edited)
Rubicons "great product" after 2 years and they refused to replace the springs under warranty so I replaced them with BDS 5inch packs.

these pics was taken with the axle unbolted from the spring...this is merely the weight of the spring

Rubicon Express do not stand behind their products. Even Bob Supplee from Supplees Offroad thought they should have replaced them.

Here is my 2 year old 4.5" Rubicon Express leaf pack compared to the BDS 5" leaf pack

I bought some American Racing Series 185 for her and some ACOS to level her up. Once I get back from my Colorado trip in August, I will be making the transition to 35s.

I know this is "just another XJ on 31s" but any feedback on it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#6 ·
Rubicon springs huh!? <- that sucks they didnt back up thier product. I have ran BDS on 2 YJs so far and find them to be way to stiff, but a good product. They had asked no questions when I had some shocks warranteed, impressive I thought.

Looks great, what kind of performance are you getting out of that motor? One heck of a job you are doin.

Your XJ is like a nice set of boobies! Like a B cup.

#11 ·
Thanks.

I installed the CB yesterday. The antenna cable I purchased turned out to be too short. I will buy another one this weekend and get it installed.

Pic of the mounting...working with the self tappers that I had on hand....who says bolts have to match...lol

#14 ·
pm sent to OKJT

like the trail rig.

Which CB did you get. Just got my Midland hand held installed.

#16 ·
I bought a el-cheapo Radio Shack mini CB for dirt cheap from a friend of a friend.

I installed my Iron Rock Offroad heavy duty tie-rod and double shear track bar this weekend. I dont have pics as of yet.

#18 ·
I havent run it yet. I originally bought a 10' cable and found out it was too short. I purchased an 18' cable with a removable end so it can be run through a smaller hole. I plan on running it through the plastic trim peices just below the headliner to the back hatch, then I am going to drill a hole in the hatch to run the cable through

#20 ·
I am not nearly as concerned with that as I am tearing the antenna completely off if it were mounted in a different location. The cable is the cheapest part of the entire setup.

I will be running the cable through the same boot that the wiring for the windshield wiper, power lock, and 3rd brake light run through.

#21 ·
One thing I left out of this thread (by mistake) is the Durango snow plow steering box I added back in April. I have neglected to reinforce the frame at the box and now the frame is creaking and popping at the box. Today I ordered a Treks steering box reinforcement kit and a steering box brace from MORE at Jeepinoutfitters.com.

I also ordered Amsteel Blue 3/8" X 100' rope to replace my badly frayed winch cable.

#23 ·
Thanks bro..anytime you need it, you have my number.

I was replacing the bad bushings on my crappy RE arms yesterday and remembered to grab the camera for a shot of the IRO double shear track bar and the IRO tie rod with the goferit TR flip.

#24 ·
Just returned back from my Colorado trip on the 12th. I towed a trailer that weighed about 1400lbs with all the gear on it. 700 miles one way, plus another 1000 miles of just plain driving throughout the week, and about 250 miles of off road trails, then the Jeep towed the trailer back. The only thing that caused us any problem was a worn out U-Joint and the guy who aligned my Jeep didnt get the jamb nuts tight and they backed off....I ended up eating up 2 front tires. I changed the u-joint out before it failed completely. I had to realign the Jeep with a tape measure, but no problems after that.

Photos from the top of BristolHead Peak...almost 14,000 feet elevation...

I also ran Engineer Pass from Lake City to Silverton....

Then we took Stoney Pass from Silverton back towards Creede...

The top of the Buffalo Boy Tram above Stoney Pass...

Somewhere on the 4wd road from Wheeler Geological Area to South Fork...

I installed my Amsteel Blue winch line (5/8" x 100') before I left to replace my frayed Smittybuilt cable. I love that rope. No need for gloves anymore.

#25 ·
Ordered my Iron Rock Offroad Long Arm Upgrade on Thursday. The spare HP Dana 30 I had laying around is in the shop right now getting 4.56 gears. The 8.25 I have in the back yard already has 4.56 gears. All I have to do to it is replace the pinion seal, install my locker, and weld the u bolt eliminator perches and shock mounts on it. Then it will all be installed, then on go the 35” x 12.50” BFG KM2s. I cant friggin wait!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.