XJ rust bucket build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > XJ rust bucket build

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-11-2011, 11:42 AM   #1
blankdeluxe
1988 XJ Cherokee 

XJ rust bucket build

I'm transferring my build thread over here from another forum. I'm just going to copy and paste so the dates won't match up right. So here goes.

Picked up this 88 in october for 1100 bucks. It needed a new brake booster right off the bat. Aside from that i figured it would be a fun build and something to keep me busy.

It came with a 3 inch lift and 31's but since it still had the stock wheels i had some issues with rubbing. I picked up a set of crawler wheels on craigs the second week i had it and put those on but i dont have those pictures yet.

In the past two months I have replaced the following...

Thermostat Housing
Thermostat
Put in a 3 core all metal radiator
Fan Clutch
Water Pump
Serpentine Belt
Aux. Cooling Fan
Redid all cooling lines. (kept the close loop system which actually works very well when it isn't full of oil, dirt, and plastic)
New oil cooling lines
Cut the intake line and routed it to behind the driver side light for cooler air.
New fill tank
Master cylinder
Brake booster
Brake lines
Rear Drums
Rear shoes
New rear brake hardware
Push Button Start
Stereo install
Fuel pump kill switch.

Everything was running good and seemed to be holding together well on it until last weekend. Took a trip up to Greeley in it to see the family and on the way back I blew the transmission as well as the rear main seal. There's 240k on the body but only 100k on the motor so my best guess is that the tranny has 240k on it as well. My brother just picked up a new AW4 for me and after the holidays we're towing it to his shop for that install. Ill do my best to keep the pictures coming through all of that and onto the rest of the build.

Future plans.

Safari rack. I build one already for it but i used stainless for some of it and after loading it up with too much weight i broke it so i have to start over from scratch.
Custom Rear bumper Building one with a tire carrier and jerry can rig as well. Most of the design is finished I'm just looking for metal now.
Custom front Bumper Im going pretty basic on this one. I just want something a litter stronger and a hitch receiver incase of towing.
4" lift Havent decided what brand yet, just looking for a little more clearance for a set of 33's
rust removal Tear down and weld on sheet metal in the rough patches before it spreads beyond repair.
new fogs for the safari rack in both the front and rear, on the front bumper, and on the sides for light while camping.
More to come...

blankdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2011, 11:48 AM   #2
blankdeluxe
1988 XJ Cherokee 

No new updates from the last post but I got some pictures of my AR-15's finally. New tires are coming next month to replace the crap rubber that came on it.

Currently waiting for parts to come in for my homemade Posi-lock and EMT safari rack.

Unread 07-11-2011, 11:55 AM   #3
blankdeluxe
1988 XJ Cherokee 

New Toys. More info coming soon, just wanted to take a quick picture.

Spent most of my weekend grinding down a 1/2 piece of rigid conduit so that it would fit inside 3/4 EMT as sleeves.

Here is my supply list for the safari rack
7 pieces of ten foot 3/4" EMT
One piece of 36" 1/2 rigid (Grind the entire piece down so that it slides inside of the 3/4 EMT and then cut it into 2 inch pieces. Total of 16 sleeves needed)
One box of 1/2" with 1/4" heads Teks screws
8 90 degree bend 3/4" EMT
1 piece of 36" aluminum plate for the sides cut into 12 3" pieces. (1/8" thick by 1 1/2" wide by 36" long)
6 JCR gutter mounts for XJ
4 Harbor Freight offroad 100w lights
4 Harbor Freight Clear Lens Halogen Lights

I have the frame finished now and am waiting for the floor pieces to get back from the machine shop. I took them in to press the ends flat so that i can drill them straight into the rack with the teks screws. More pictures should be up this week but this is all i have right now.

I have been working on the rack off and on for the past week and finally have it more or less done. I took all the floor pieces to the machine shop and had them press the ends flat so they were easier to run the teck screws into. I also pre drilled all the aluminum side rails so that they were easier to run screws into. The hardest thing that I ran into was running self tappers through the rails and the rigid inside. I think I broke about 15 drill bits before i finished all of those. I drilled an additional hole in all of the JCR mounts so I could put u bolts through each of them to mount them since i couldn't find another way to mount them. I still have to throw it up on the roof and mount the fog lights this weekend however the basic layout is finished now. I'm also building a custom switch panel on the dash right below the heater controls. My switches, LEDs, bezels, inline fuses, and ABS plastic should be here next week so i can start on that.

Thanks for looking. More coming soon.

Unread 07-11-2011, 11:58 AM   #4
blankdeluxe
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Here is the write up for my posi lock. This is a litte lengthy.
Things you need.

PTO Cable link

1/4 Inch Compression Union link

5/8 Compression Spring link

Gasket Maker link

To open up the vacuum side use a flat head screw driver and work your way around the seam prying it open. Once it is open all the way you can pull the entire thing apart and cut the diaphragm so that it doesnt seal anymore.

This is the one part that i dont really have photos for. Being that my hands were covered with oil and my camera cost more then my jeep did i decided that it was a better idea not to touch it. You need a pair of needle nose pliers here and you need to pull the holding clips from both sides of fork so that the fork can slide out. Once these clips are out you will see the small ring where they hold in place. This is were i only used one of the clips instead of two. While the fork is out drill a 5/16 hole in it so that it will line up with the hole in the case when everything is back in place. When your putting everything back together put the fork back in place and slide the rod back through til you can see the very first clip ring. Put the clip back in place between so that the clip is between the fork and the wall of the case (vacuum side. Also PM me if this doesn't make sense). Now the fork Is held in place but there is a gap between the cable side of the case and the fork. This is where you slide your spring into place so that it is always trying to push the fork out of 4x4. When the cable is pulled it will lock the axel and as soon as you unlock the PTO cable it will slide out of place again.

So there is the basic write-up. Leave me comments if you have any ways to make this better or easier. So far it works quite well(takes a little longer to put in 4x4 but i know its not going to go out)
Unread 07-11-2011, 11:59 AM   #5
blankdeluxe
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Finally got some pictures of my rack on the jeep with the lights installed.

I also finished my light switch bar and install it today. They LED's aren't in it yet but the brackets from them as well as all the switches are in. I will try to get some photos of that up sometime tomorrow.
Unread 07-11-2011, 12:00 PM   #6
blankdeluxe
1988 XJ Cherokee 

I had a little extra money in my bank account so I went ahead and ordered these. Cooper STT 33x12.50xR15. I got four of them for 700 bucks which IMO seems like a pretty decent deal. I'll get them mounted at my brothers shop so I won't have to pay anything extra.

Unread 07-11-2011, 12:01 PM   #7
blankdeluxe
1988 XJ Cherokee 

I'm really happy on how things are coming together on the jeep so far. Waiting for the total cost of the new tranny and then I will be ordering my RC 4.5 with new leafs and control arm drops. :euro:

And here is my switch panel that I finished on Sunday.
Unread 07-11-2011, 12:02 PM   #8
blankdeluxe
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Just ordered this. I have spent entirely too much money this week but the new toys may possibly make up for it.

and this too.

It going to be sitting for about a month before the install but I had the money so Why now buy it now.
Unread 07-11-2011, 12:03 PM   #9
blankdeluxe
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Its pretty much turned into a weekly thing at this point but I have new parts in again.

My CB came in as well as the antenna and the mount. I also went to get a CAD vacuum housing yesterday for a servo engaged 4x4 that I'm designing and ended up coming home with 4 new doors and a steering column as well.

I have my tires, lift, and tranny sitting at the shop right now and the jeep should be getting towed there sunday morning. Then Ill be driving my honda for a couple weeks til I can go pick it up again but free work takes a little while longer sometimes.:thumbup:

I have been doing research on how much re-gearing to 4.56 is going to cost me and I may have accidentally found a set of 4.10's for $100 bucks. Not my first choice by any means but I figured I would get everyone else's input and see what you guys/girls think I should do. ($500 + for new gears and carriers is going to put a dent in the pocket books)

Should I put in the 4.10's or continue with my 4.56 plans? Anyone have an opinion on this?
Unread 07-11-2011, 12:04 PM   #10
blankdeluxe
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Well my jeep has been at my brothers shop for the past month and I'm going to pick it up and put on new parts this week. I have a few parts list for everything that got replaced while it was gone and I just wanted to document all the new work on it so I can go back and see when parts were replaced.

Here is the growing list of newly replaced parts.
Valve cover gasket
Oil pan gasket
Oil filter O-rings
Power steering pump
New power steering line and power steering pressure line
Transmission mounts (I had a bad rattle underneath and we found out that this was what caused the problem)
New Starter
Transfer case seal
These were all the parts we replaced to solve the leaking problems. Not a drip of fluid is leaking now!
Spark plugs
Wires
Cap
Roter
Fuel filter

All of this plus the parts that I had listed before. I'm also working on a writeup for removable doors that will be more picture intensive and easier to follow. I know that there are a lot of removable door writeups online already but I built new pins for all my hinges and have two different sets of doors that I can interchange for half doors or full doors so I figured I would post my process on it.
Unread 07-11-2011, 12:08 PM   #11
blankdeluxe
1988 XJ Cherokee 

New door hinges.

Teaser shot. The lift is done I just haven't dug my camera out yet.
Unread 07-11-2011, 12:09 PM   #12
blankdeluxe
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Here are a few pictures from my cell phone. Ill get my canon out tonight or tomorrow and get real pictures too. I have to put in a drop pitman arm and SYE still. The driveshaft doesn't have any vibration but I don't wanna tear up new parts so I'm just going to get it over with. My T-case is also stuck in 4x4 right now so the front axle is disengaged until I can figure out how the adjust it.

Still stock

Rear End Dropped

With the 33's on

Sitting on the floor

This morning at work.

Again

You like?
Unread 07-11-2011, 12:10 PM   #13
blankdeluxe
1988 XJ Cherokee 

I had some problems with my doors. I ended up having to use a sawzall to cut a couple. I literally spent 6 hours on two doors working on them so I didn't get any pictures yet. The one thing that I can tell you is that JB weld isn't a great way to hold the pins in. If you can tack them with a welder it will work way better. Im planning on getting more pictures soon but I had to do the lift/everything else last weekend while I had access to the lift. Ill get you more details on it soon.

Im also stuck in 4hi. The lever is in 2hi but my front shaft is still spinning. I disconnected my front axle so I can drive on the hwy without tearing things up but im not sure whats wrong with it.
Unread 07-11-2011, 12:12 PM   #14
blankdeluxe
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Took a somewhat better picture this morning. I need to head to the mountains this weekend if I can find some free time.

I picked up a S.Y.E today for $400 bones. Time to throw that in and get everything working like it should again.

Also finally got my led's in my switch panel. Who needs heater vents when you can have switches instead?
Unread 07-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #15
blankdeluxe
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Well come to find out my bushing is coming out of my harmonic balancer so I have to replace that this weekend. It had a small wobble in it for a couple days so I just kept an eye on it but yesterday the rubber started hitting the fan blades so I decided parking it might be a good idea. My vacuum also started working in the front axle randomly so now I'm stuck in 4x4 until I either fix my current t-case or put the new one in. One of the two...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.