XJ resurrection - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 02-26-2017, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
ThreePac39
1995 XJ Cherokee 

XJ resurrection

After a long time away, I've decided to reenter the jeep world. This passed summer I acquired two relic Cherokees for price i could not refuse.
Figuring out which to drive was a hard decision because the two door needed floors and the red one had not been on the road for a while.
Being that the red one is an '86 carb 2.8 i decided that the 2 door would be the project. I've kinda always had a thing for two doors anyway.
On a lunch break I started a full to-do list.
Full floors. a transfer case (stretched chain), cat back exhaust, coolant leak that ended up being no heat, complete mud for coolant... some u-joints
rocker panels, wheel wells in the back.
all in all it wasn't that bad for 212K

Attached Thumbnails
20161104_171617.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-26-2017, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
ThreePac39
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Without a garage at my house, working after hours at the shop and picking away at what i could on my lunch breaks ment progress was slow.
Floor pans were not exactly in my price range so i called a local supplier and got two 3'X3' pieces of 20ga sheet steel, some spent lawnmower blades, some 2" angle, and let sparks fly.
once i got the interior out (storing everything in the 86 for convenience) i found that someone had already "worked" on the floors in the front. -eugh
cut out old, measure, grind, weld, seal. started with clean seams and square angles... ended up with throwing in metal in shapes that took the least time haha.
Attached Thumbnails
20161114_132811.jpg   20161115_133843.jpg  
post #3 of 8 Old 02-26-2017, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
ThreePac39
1995 XJ Cherokee 

all said and done...
sheet metal -$60
4 tubes seam sealer- $50
2 cans gloss black enamel- $22
angle for front seat bracket -free
lawn mower blades for rear seat brackets -free
and grinding discs, welding wire+gas an all that stuff.
labor time ended up around 20 hours give or take because of constantly sitting on a milk crate to pull in/out. deal with other stuff in the shop... pesky customers...
Attached Thumbnails
20161116_192110.jpg   20161119_125723.jpg   20161123_134320.jpg   20161208_133020.jpg  

post #4 of 8 Old 02-26-2017, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
ThreePac39
1995 XJ Cherokee 

now the jeep is on the road, and runs strong.
im really glad to have my 6 month old in a back seat and out of my single cab pickup.
the exhaust got the cat deleted, and a used dynomax that sounds decent..
i replaced the rear u-joint with a moog super strength, and converted to U-joint straps
which by the way, pay attention to what yoke you have... because i did not have the right one. so when i drilled the holes out, i did not have the clearance on the back for the nuts DOH!
luckily i just tightened the hell out of em and check them regularly till i can snag the yoke off the '86

i had no thermostatic clutch or fan... or shroud... so i snagged a 14in electric fan off amazon that i wired through a relay to a switch in the cab. very pleased with this so far, we'll see how she handles 90* summer though.
Also started the research and foot work for OBA system using the A/C compressor. thats probably 70% done, but I've had some other stuff going on.

with spring around the corner the next project will be tucking those 33X12.5, the lift in the '86 is definitely a back yard job... kinda strange but im gonna see what i can run and what i cant. the front all seems legit, but needs adjustable arms because the tire sits pretty far back and obviously rubs the rockers.
the rear had little spring blocks... and add-a-leafs that were cut with a torch front and rear? with stock shackles, no shocks, and no sway bars front or rear.
im okay with it i guess... but why when i jack it up by the bumper does the suspension have zero down travel???
post #5 of 8 Old 03-25-2017, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
ThreePac39
1995 XJ Cherokee 

did it one piece at a time...

shop closed for a snow storm... 5hrs later

fender trim incomplete in this pic, stock lower control arms, no sye.
rode a lot better than i thought it would on my 20mi highway trip home
Attached Thumbnails
20170314_174007.jpg  
post #6 of 8 Old 03-25-2017, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
ThreePac39
1995 XJ Cherokee 

poke.
and play... purely for test purposes.
bottom pic is with better fender trim. still havnt done rears.

got fixed lower control arms from rough country, seriously improved bumpsteer and overall ride quality.
i have a hack n tap sye coming for it so that should clean up what little vibe i have left
Attached Thumbnails
20170315_181433.jpg   20170320_074832.jpg  
post #7 of 8 Old 03-27-2017, 11:36 AM
ForeverMackin29
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Replacing the floors on an XJ is one heck of a job I've been there with my 95' 2-Door. I love to see someone else keeping a 2-Door XJ on the road! Is that a 96'? Keep up the build thread, I'll definitely be watching this one!
post #8 of 8 Old 03-29-2017, 05:51 AM
1BeastXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
In a short time you did a lot of progress. Good job on your build.

The idea is to have fun.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.