XJ down under - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > XJ down under

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-09-2014, 10:54 AM   #1
Dezman121

1999 XJ Cherokee 

XJ down under

A big Gidday from Australia and I would like to tell the world iv got a jeep
Here is a picture of my 'Felicity'
As you can see she's like new and only 50k miles on the clock 'wow'.
Never been off road and used for short work commute. She should be in a museum, I feel a little guilty of the hard life she may get!
It's not that I'm rough but I can never keep anything perfect, but she just smiles and tells me "I'm here to do a job" ...'oh I believe some cars are alive in away!'.

So far iv only put on 31" tyres which look great, but of course she needs a lift for the tyres are rubbing a little.
I thought of the cheap shackle way but realised she needs new springs if I really want to carry weight.
Iv a limited budget to spend but know that I intend to keep her for many years to come, so while I still got some dollars left over from the great deal I got on her! Then I do as much as I can.
I'm hoping to explore the outback of Australia etc. plus towing a 21 caravan to fossicking sites for the hunt of gem stones.
That's why I need the ability to carry heavy loads, thinking of 300kg rear springs.
Iv lots of questions and already learnt a lot reading through the posts here.
Please ask anything you would like to know too.

image.jpg  
Dezman121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2014, 12:12 PM   #2
Dezman121

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Update, I deleted the last comment as it was messy and I want to keep this thread tidy.

Iv ordered a 2" lift kit with 300kg rear springs for towing my 21ft caravan and carrying gear.
It comes with Bilstiein shocks from Germany, which are considered the best here in Australia.
Gee I wish I access to the heavy parts from the USA but postage is more than the parts!

I'm really enjoying this build as Felicity is in such great condition and I feel so lucky to have
Found her after looking at four bombs!
I had given up looking and was disappointed I couldn't find one of these proven 4+4.
Then sitting on the porch I saw one drive by and thought one more check online and there she was
Waiting for me to call and buy her.
Unread 06-13-2014, 03:45 AM   #3
Dezman121

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Now what do you buy a Jeep owner for Xmas?
WD40 spray, and what gives with these bolts?
Wow, now I know what a breaker bar is for!

Well the build is coming along great on my new XJ, iv replaced the radiator, water pump and belt.
And Why Won't This Fercking Hose come off? Ok consult the forum of knowledge, what bloodily special Tool!!!
Were is the knife, I'll fix this trans hose for good.

Ok I know I'm a bush mechanic but it will hold with a few clamps.
Put on my secondhand tow bar from the wreckers, what a workout doing six bolts!
Jeep owners don't need to go to the gym, they just work on their car. I really should be buying
A rattle gun for these tough bolts.

The lift kit comes next week and I'm prepping myself for the job, it's going to test me I know it!

Oh, I will post some pictures as soon as I remember.
Unread 06-17-2014, 11:40 AM   #4
Dezman121

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Waiting on my lift kit to arrive, found this explosive box which fits neatly behind
The drivers seat.
Iv removed the back seats out of my XJ as its rare that I need them and would rather
The extra room.

Went to replace the fuel filter with one I had lying around and bugger me it's on top of the tank!
Gees what a hassle as iv put on the tow bar.
I'm trying to plan each job and do the best I can, it would of been easy to drop the tank when the bash plate
Was undone. I'm hoping it's been replaced before but I don't know.
image.jpg  
Unread 06-17-2014, 03:08 PM   #5
jbjorgen

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Did you look at Old Man Emu for suspension components? I think they are made in Australia.
jbjorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2014, 12:13 AM   #6
Dezman121

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Shockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjorgen View Post
Did you look at Old Man Emu for suspension components? I think they are made in Australia.
No and I should of too as they came on my Suzuki Grand Vitara and they work well.
The Bilstine ones I got with the lift kit are considered the best here, even though they are made in Germany.
The bushes are made in Australia.
Unread 06-18-2014, 12:26 AM   #7
Dezman121

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Well I got the leaf springs and shocks on without to much trouble.
Three hours each side and I was lucky the bolts came out ok, feeling a little sore
But I saved $240 by doing it myself, not bad for a days work I think.

You can see in the picture the new ones are much bigger with seven leafs and a
Rating of 600lbs extra weight before Min height is reached.
My 21ft trailer is not going to bother this Jeep

I saw that my rear cylinders are leaking and that would explain the rear brakes locking
Up, so I ordered a pair of them.
Tomorrow I'll do the front springs, shocks, sway rubbers and brake pads.
Unread 06-18-2014, 12:32 AM   #8
Dezman121

1999 XJ Cherokee 

A work in progress.
image.jpg  
Unread 06-18-2014, 11:30 PM   #9
Dezman121

1999 XJ Cherokee 

What have I done?

The back springs are high and stiff of course! Being 600lb ones.
And to bouncy in the rear end, I think iv over done it with these springs.
Iv got Vibration from the 2.5" lift that the 1.5" lift kit gave me! But it came
With a transfer case spacers which I'll put in tomorrow, and then it should be quieter.
image.jpg  
Unread 06-21-2014, 01:38 AM   #10
Dezman121

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Well my lift kit turned into 4" instead of 1 1/2" as they advertised.
I had a lot of vibration Even after putting in a 1 1/4" spacers to drop the trans case.
So I'm thinking I'll have to take the springs out and send them back for more standard ones, oh I'm not keen on doing that job again.

But first I'll try it with 350lbs in the back and it only went down 1/2", heavy springs indeed. Well what do you know it fixed it!
No vibes and a smoother ride, plus one happy driver

Now my girl has got high heels on and looking good.
Unread 06-29-2014, 10:43 PM   #11
Dezman121

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Well my girl rides ok with some weight in the back, about 250 lbs does the trick with the vibe problem.
I'm looking forward to dropping the caravan 'big trailer' on the back and try some towing, but first iv got
To change the header!
Yeah, they are cracked.
Here are the new ones wrapped up and ready to go on.
image.jpg  
Unread 07-01-2014, 01:30 AM   #12
Dezman121

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Well I was ready for this tough job of changing the header and straight into it this morning them bam!
3 bolts down then what another quick release pipe, oh I'm going to have to find this tool. Ring around a bit and no knows it.
So I google the image and there are lots of designs and a few pics of a hose adapter! Hmmm,
wonder if I could make one then it Dawn on me.
Cut the plastic pipe joiner and sleeve it on, well bugger me it must of taken 22 seconds and quick as say undo it was off easiest job of the day.
Not like the rest of those header bolts!
image.jpg  
Unread 07-02-2014, 01:50 AM   #13
Dezman121

1999 XJ Cherokee 

What an effort putting it back together!
The new pipes were poorly designed and blocked access to the bolts below, had to reach up from underneath.
I think every instruction for a job should come with a big warning!
Like for fitting intake manifolds 'don't miss align the pins!'.......
Yeah I did and started to tighten up and bang the locating slot broke, thought I popped a bolt or something.
Gees I'm lucky I did't crack the header, hmmm I try to take my time and look for any problems before they happen.

Well I think there is more power now and the wrapping should cool the intake as well.
Glad this job is done and now I'm looking forward to picking up my side steps and roof cage
In a few days time.
Unread Yesterday, 01:05 PM   #14
Dezman121

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Update; dam exhaust gasket gave out! It needs changing but I'm on the move with the trailer 'caravan' so I'm putting up with it.
I checked the tension and all were good, I guess it was a poor gasket or wrong glue!
Here is a picture.
image.jpg  
Unread Yesterday, 01:21 PM   #15
Dezman121

1999 XJ Cherokee 

The XJ tows ok with enough power for the job, however!
The cooling system is weak, even though I put in a new radiator etc. she warmed up a bit on the mountain.
Only got to 110o but was squinting trans and coolant when I stopped, but I found if I kept it at 2200 rpm she
Was more happy. It would be a problem in the summer though.

My lift ended up being bigger, 4" in the rear and. 3" in front. She sits well and corners ok too.
The heavy springs in the rear carry the weight well, in the picture she is loaded up with very heavy tools
And the trailer is no light weight pushing down on the tow ball at about 300lb + .
The Bilstine shocks are great and give a real confidence on big bumps, however you can tell the XJ has a short
Wheel base with some wobble at speed. But hey you can't have everything.
Mileage is high ! 8 miles to the us gallon. Which cost $6.00 US here in Australia !!!
But I feel like a king on the road.

I found that third gear works well as the trans tries to hold it in 3 until it's under to much load then shifting down.
I cruise at 55 miles with 2250 rpm and about 20% throttle on the flat.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.