XJ Cherokee half doors - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > XJ Cherokee half doors

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 02-27-2010, 10:35 PM   #1
tommy-xj
1990 XJ Cherokee 

XJ Cherokee half doors

Ok, y'all, I've not come across much for write ups on Cherokee half doors so I'm diving into the project. I'll do my best too document it as I go. I've already got a lot of the work done so we'll start with that.

For starters I want to be able to have full doors in the winter time so I'm rigging the hinges to be quick release. I've taken pictures of that as well. I hope this helps anybody out there thinking of doing this. I have a parts jeep (listed in classifieds for parts if you're looking for anything) that I stole the doors off of that I cut up.

Here goes.

tommy-xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2010, 10:54 PM   #2
tommy-xj
1990 XJ Cherokee 

When I started the hinges looked like this so I removed the doors from them.
copy-img_3572.jpg   copy-img_3575.jpg  
Unread 02-27-2010, 10:59 PM   #3
tommy-xj
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I tried to cut the doors with the hinges still bolted on but didn't have enough room for the Dremel cutter. After I got 'em off I was able to cut the hinges.
After the bottom arm of the hinges are cut the hinge pin needs to be cut as well. This'll take a bit and you'll go through a few blades for your Dremel.
copy-img_3576.jpg   copy-img_3577.jpg   copy-img_3578.jpg  
Unread 02-27-2010, 11:05 PM   #4
tommy-xj
1990 XJ Cherokee 

After I got that cut off the hinges pulled right out. A couple of them took a little sweet talkin' but they all came out.

The drivers side hing pins are stuck to the top arm of the hinge. Unfortunately the passenger side used the same hinges so the bottom arm has the pin stuck to it. On all the passenger side hinges, after I cut the bottom arm off, I had to weld the pin into the hinge so it wouldn't fall out with gravity and a few times opening and shutting the doors. The bottom picture shows half the hinges welded, it only took a little tack weld to the end of the pin.
copy-img_3580.jpg   copy-img_3582.jpg  
Unread 02-27-2010, 11:14 PM   #5
tommy-xj
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Now that I got the hinges rigged to work, I began cutting the doors. I started by gutting them of all the window mechanisms and door handles. All I left was the actual door latch.

I plotted the cuts with a yardstick and a sharpie.

I tried a few different cutters in this step. I used the Dremel cutter, a pneumatic rotary cutter, and a sabersaw. The sabersaw was the easiest and quickest but it tended to bend the door skin if it caught wrong. There were a few places I had to get out the Sawzall for it's longer blade. The red door I used the saber saw on and you can see how it's chewed up a bit.

That's where I'm at now. I need to borrow a welder to start putting them back together and get my Jeep back from the mechanic so I can cut it's hinges.

Stay tuned.
copy-img_3584.jpg   copy-img_3583.jpg  
Unread 03-13-2010, 06:19 PM   #6
tommy-xj
1990 XJ Cherokee 

After I got the doors cut out how I wanted them I welded in some 3/4" black iron pipe so it'd have rounded edges. I had to notch out the indentations in the interior door skin to get the pipe to lay flat. It turned out pretty good. I used .024 wire to help keep the body metal from warping. It still warped on me a bit. I got a little hasty.
copy-img_3620.jpg   copy-img_3622.jpg   copy-img_3627.jpg   copy-img_3628.jpg   copy-img_3626.jpg  

Unread 03-13-2010, 06:25 PM   #7
tommy-xj
1990 XJ Cherokee 

After I got both pipes welded in place I cut some old diamond plate I had laying around to cap it off. To cap the open ends I cut the diapmond plate the correct width and height then traced out the curvature of the body. I cut the plate with a sabersaw. It was thin enough that it worked.
copy-img_3629.jpg   copy-img_3630.jpg   copy-img_3631.jpg   copy-img_3632.jpg  
Unread 03-13-2010, 06:31 PM   #8
tommy-xj
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I snagged a pair of inside door latchs out of a '98 Corolla to replace the bulky door handls/lock mechanism that came in the Jeep. I don't figure I'll need locks any more with these doors.
I traced out the footprint of the door latch and cut it into my diamondplate. I then took the rod from the old handle, cut it off and bent it to fit into the Corolla handle. It took me a couple times bending it to get it right but it works pretty slick.

I haven't got the door panels finished yet but I have them cut out. I plan to fold the vinyl around the cardboard and re-attach it to the door. It should look pretty good.

Stay tuned.
copy-img_3634.jpg   copy-img_3635.jpg   copy-img_3636.jpg   copy-img_3637.jpg   copy-img_3638.jpg  

Unread 03-13-2010, 06:37 PM   #9
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Looks awesome. Reminds me that I have an extra set of doors in the garage.

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2010, 08:38 PM   #10
radar95zj

gives me bad ideas
radar95zj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.