XJ Budget Racer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > XJ Budget Racer

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 01-06-2011, 05:37 AM   #1
VACJ5
1991 YJ Wrangler 

XJ Budget Racer

Racing and budget are two words which do not belong together. But there is the Line Mountain races up in PA that have really caught my eye. My buddy owns a hot rod shop here in Norfolk, and on the side I run the fabrication half of the shop. He has an old 91 2 door Cherokee 4.0 5 speed that has been sitting behind the shop for 3 years. Over the Christmas holiday we were bench racing and walking around the yard and found the thing back there and decided that we couldnt let her rott away. So we started digging up parts we had lying around and see if we can make a capable racer out of this thing on a tight budget.

It already has a narrowed 4.10 welded ford 9" rear. ($0)
Keep the HP30 and truss the daylights out of it. Keep it open so it wont put so much stress on the axle shafts and carrier. ($ cost of steel for truss)
15" steel wheels. ($50 off craigslist) I have a Torchmate plasma table, so I will cut some beadlocks for it in house. ($ steel cost for beadlocks & hardware)
Scored some 33" mud terrains for free. ($0)
We have some bilstein 5150's for the front and some 5100's for the rear. ($0)
Trim the fender wells and remove all the glass and interior. ($0)
Mastercraft suspension seats and harnesses we scored from a military contractor for free. ($0)
We have enough DOM lying around from other builds to put in a cage. ($0)

To top things off we went out last night and put a battery on the cherokee. Remind you that this thing hasnt been touched in 3 years and without hesitation, she fired right on up!

Gotta find a way to stuff those 33's. Might have to swap in different leafs and coils. We are kicking around the idea of making some beefier upper and lowers for the front and definitely gotta make some bumpers front and rear. I will be sure to post up pictures as this thing comes together. I have built CJ's, YJ's and TJ's before... But this is my first XJ build so any info you guys can throw my way would be appreciated.

BeachMetalWorks Custom CNC cut Jeep parts & more
VACJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2011, 08:41 PM   #2
VACJ5
1991 YJ Wrangler 

A few pictures snapped this afternoon.
p1010886.jpg   p1010885.jpg   p1010887.jpg  

Unread 01-06-2011, 09:11 PM   #3
ArrizX
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Looks like it could use a scrub
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2011, 09:36 PM   #4
VACJ5
1991 YJ Wrangler 

And a 4th wheel!

Unread 01-06-2011, 09:42 PM   #5
shark02
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I'm looking forward to seeing this come together! one thing I might suggest, if you haven't thought of it already, is to plate the uniframe. That should help keep it from coming apart in the abusive racing environment. Keep up the good work and make sure to take plenty of pictures!
shark02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2011, 09:51 PM   #6
7urtle
2008 KK Liberty 

interesting
[URL="[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/wanted-xj-875786/#post10031031[/url]"][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/wanted-xj-875786/#post10031031[/url][/URL] -[FONT="Arial Black"][B][I][U][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Green"]1UMF[/COLOR][/SIZE][/U][/I][/B][/FONT] a really slow build. bruised and never left the street
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]WTB: rear bumper/tire carrier,31" tires,armor[/COLOR]
7urtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 04:46 AM   #7
VACJ5
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrizX View Post
Looks like it could use a scrub
He also has a big media blasting room... unfortunately this is parked directly behind it. So alot of that is just dust that floats out in the yard. I'm sure it is going to look alot worse than that this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark02 View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing this come together! one thing I might suggest, if you haven't thought of it already, is to plate the uniframe. That should help keep it from coming apart in the abusive racing environment. Keep up the good work and make sure to take plenty of pictures!

Yeah, I am going to be taking some dimensions and cutting some reinforcement plates on the plasma table here soon. Thoughts on thickness?

Unread 01-07-2011, 05:18 AM   #8
04_Sahara_Man
2004 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/d...-build-367176/ an awesome build you should look at...same concept, lots of info and pics.
In Pennsylvania, fun is illegal
Xbox live GT - TheExecutive00
Tama, Paiste, DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth....yes I go boom boom!
04_Sahara_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 06:13 AM   #9
VACJ5
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yep... seen that one on here and on P4x4. Good build! Shame after all that great fab work he never ran it.

Unread 02-24-2012, 08:38 PM   #10
VACJ5
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Bringing this one back to life... With the economy the way it was, racing this thing really wasnt an option last year. BUT, this year is different. Me and my buddy are making time to have a little fun... and considering that we still haven't thrown any money at this thing, that makes it even more possible.

To catch up on how it is now, we trimmed the fender back, took some stock JK control arms and shortened them to add a little stretch. The JK arms are tubular and fairly thick... much better than the stock stamped metal ones. Even with them shortened, the track bar got into the diff cover. Snatched the back seat out and slimed the dry rotted tires and wheeled it once beating the snot outta it in 2wd. Thank god my rig has OBA, because it seemed like we were airing it up every 30 mins.

A buddy gave us some 35's... which made the D30 immediately start trembling and crying. So, we started looking into what we had lying around the shop. We have 3/4's of an old early bronco chassis which has a 44/9" combo with a good set of brand new steel wheels. Only problem is that the 44 has drum brakes. But we have a 76 Full sized jeep 44 front (wrong side drop & 6 lug). So the game plan is to take the knuckles (flat tops), spindles, caliper stands and calipers off the FSJ 44. Then swap them on the EB 44 housing. We also managed to dig up some TTB 44 hubs and rotors. So we will a disc brake radius arm 44. Plan on modifying the stock radius arms with heims at the end and fabbing up a new cross member. The mastercraft seats made their way into my YJ, but we have some beard suspension seats in their place. Going to run Bilstein 5150's in the front and 5100s in the rear.

I'll post up some more pictures soon. The first race is on June 9th, so we are starting the build now and hopefully shake it down long before raceday.
p1030653.jpg   p1030655.jpg   p1030672.jpg   p1030674.jpg   p1030676.jpg  

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.