XJ 6.5" RC Long Arm Lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > XJ 6.5" RC Long Arm Lift

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black (Paint to Match) Grille2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black Sun Shade (Rugged Ridge)

Unread 07-13-2014, 10:36 AM   #1
difnqf
2001 XJ Cherokee 

XJ 6.5" RC Long Arm Lift

I bought this lift kit to start getting into more serious off-roading/rock crawling. I was currently running a 3" RC lift with 31's and had been very satisfied with the lift kit, so I decided to stay with Rough Country and upgrade to the 6.5" long arm lift. I ordered the lift kit, SYE, and new rear driveshaft and it all was delivered in 13 packages within a week. I used a friendís shop space and performed he entire removal of the old lift/ install on the new kit on the ground, only using jacks and jack stands. Removal of the old kit was simple and the new install began. The first issues I ran into was removing the original lower control arm mounts on the frame. The kit instructions say to use a reciprocating saw, this process was very slow for me and the blade on my saw broke very quickly and I did not have another one. From that point on I used an angle grinder and cut-off wheel which worked really well and quick. Provided measurements for all components were accurate and assembling all components was relatively easy. The next issue I ran into was the prep work for the new cross-member/ lower control arm. The instructions say to remove the stud, REMOVE THE STUD, do not cut the stud off as you will need to re-use the threaded hole. I did not remove the stud, so I had to drill out the center of the stud and back it out. Drilling the holes in the frame uses to bit sizes you cannot easy find in a home improvement store, I had to order mine from amazon. The chuck on my corded drill was not large enough to fit the drill bits so I had to use a cordless drill and about 12 battery charges. I would suggest using a hammer drill with at least a 1/2" chuck. Once the cross-member was mounted, install went relatively smooth from there on out. Lining up the axle with all the new control arms was a little difficult without any help and removing the original pitman arm (150k miles) took longer than expected. I highly recommend using an impact wrench during the removal and install of all equipment, it makes things go much faster and uses a lot less physical effort. Once the front axle is installed is reassembled move to the rear. Using the impact wrench the removal of the old leaf springs was simple as well as the install of the new ones. Installing the new extended brake lines is pretty easy, make sure you have a line wrench or you could damage the fittings. Also, make sure to save your copper washers or buy new ones as the kit does not come with any and you will not create a seal/ build brake pressure without them. If you plan to run 35" tires expect to cut away a lot of your fenders, to at least the top of the factory fender line. Installing this kit on my own, on the ground, took much longer than it should have, but with help and a lift it could be easily completed in a day. I would recommend this kit to anyone looking for an affordable long arm lift.

jeep-5.jpg   jeep-4.jpg   jeep-2.jpg   jeep-3.jpg   jeep-1.jpg  

jeep-6.jpg

difnqf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2014, 11:05 AM   #2
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

cool beens bruh....good looking rig too..but why on earth would you put the light bar where it would be the first thing to get smashed?.....

Shhhhhh I'm not crazy...It's just the voices in my head
freaknajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2014, 11:22 AM   #3
difnqf
2001 XJ Cherokee 

The light bar is getting moved, there was originally a piece of plate steel to protect it. I am making new brackets to move it above the bumper now.
Unread 07-13-2014, 11:32 AM   #4
DunmerBoy
eXJpedition

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I usually don't like lifts over like 5 inches but the way your XJ looks, I am seriously diggin it what are the future plans?
- Build Thread -
DunmerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2014, 09:00 AM   #5
difnqf
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks man. I don't have anything too crazy for the near future planned. Maybe lockers but I'm just looking forward to taking it crawling for now
Unread 07-14-2014, 10:20 AM   #6
caronaxtr
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Xj does look good. How does it ride with the long arms vs the short arms? MTR's look really good (I'm debating on getting them in35's now).

Also, I like your rear bumper, who makes it?
caronaxtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2014, 03:01 PM   #7
difnqf
2001 XJ Cherokee 

The long arms ride pretty smooth, and the articulation is pretty incredible. With the larger leaf springs the rear is a little bouncy but still solid. As for the rear bumper I'm not too sure what the brand is, but I might be able to find out. I bought it from a friend a few years back off of his '96 and had to cut my rear hatch to make it fit

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.