The WWK Build... An Austin Texas TJ - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The WWK Build... An Austin Texas TJ

Jeep Gear & Install Packages!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 03-01-2010, 09:09 AM   #61
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LURCH634 View Post
What do you think the cost difference could be doing a build up -vs- buying a rubi?
Ive done a little number crunching and it depends. I bought my 4-cyl Jeep for $7500. I could put $1500 in it and make it relatively close to a Rubi (i.e. 8.8 rear end and lockers) I would keep the D30 up front, but again, I could be CLOSE to a Rubi, at least offroad.

Now when it comes to highway and daily driving, it would take alot for me to match a Rubi, BUT, most Rubi's ive found, even in the worst of shape are still bringing $12-$15K... So I technically could spend another $7500 on my Jeep before I would hit that price point, which would put my Jeep in line with a Rubi.

Ive found a Rubi 4.0L engine, tranny, and t-case for $3000, then the install would be $1500-$2000, then the $1500 for rear axle and lockers... So again, in my case, I could get a Rubi for the same price as building MY Jeep up...

Some would argue my numbers, and I encourage it, because im just going off research, but you can see my thought process.

FOOTNOTE: If I can find someone that has already built up a Rubi (lift, tires, etc...) It may be worth it, seeing as how you dont get a return on that type of investment... Lots of factors.

Shameless plug: www.davidisabeersnob.com

My CJ7 Build Thread
AustinCJer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2010, 09:40 AM   #62
LURCH634
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like you put some thought into this. I guess you could save a mint doing it all yourself. But than again if it's a daily driver than that in not an option. If you decide to do o big project yourself lemme know. I could do a drive to Austin and help if ya need.
LURCH634 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2010, 09:46 AM   #63
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LURCH634 View Post
Looks like you put some thought into this. I guess you could save a mint doing it all yourself. But than again if it's a daily driver than that in not an option. If you decide to do o big project yourself lemme know. I could do a drive to Austin and help if ya need.
Id welcome any help I can get

Yeah, Ive def. thought about it... I run into one major issue though... If I build my rig, it will require alot of "out of pocket" funds. I dont own a house, so no equity loans available, and signature/title loans are almost unheard of these days.

But if I bought a built Rubi, I could finance most of it.

I had an idea for awhile to build my Jeep slightly, pay it off, then sell it once its paid off... THEN, use a portion of the proceeds as a down payment on a Rubi and the remainder as immediate upgrades (lift, tires, etc...)

But who knows...

My CJ7 Build Thread
Unread 03-01-2010, 09:48 AM   #64
LURCH634
2006 TJ Wrangler 

That makes a ton of sense!
LURCH634 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2010, 01:21 PM   #65
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Took the doors off yesterday... its starting to look and feel like Spring time in Texas...

4 Wheel Parts is giving a free windshield channel with purchase of a Summer Top, so I bought a Bestop Safari Top and got a Bestop channel at no cost, so im psychd! Im taking Idaho-Jeep's advice and sliding a piece of fiberglass rod into the piping at the back of the top to keep it from flapping so much...

My CJ7 Build Thread
Unread 03-10-2010, 01:56 PM   #66
reconmarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTJer View Post
Ive done a little number crunching and it depends. I bought my 4-cyl Jeep for $7500. I could put $1500 in it and make it relatively close to a Rubi (i.e. 8.8 rear end and lockers) I would keep the D30 up front, but again, I could be CLOSE to a Rubi, at least offroad.

Now when it comes to highway and daily driving, it would take alot for me to match a Rubi, BUT, most Rubi's ive found, even in the worst of shape are still bringing $12-$15K... So I technically could spend another $7500 on my Jeep before I would hit that price point, which would put my Jeep in line with a Rubi.

Ive found a Rubi 4.0L engine, tranny, and t-case for $3000, then the install would be $1500-$2000, then the $1500 for rear axle and lockers... So again, in my case, I could get a Rubi for the same price as building MY Jeep up...

Some would argue my numbers, and I encourage it, because im just going off research, but you can see my thought process.

FOOTNOTE: If I can find someone that has already built up a Rubi (lift, tires, etc...) It may be worth it, seeing as how you dont get a return on that type of investment... Lots of factors.

I would sell you my "rubi" for 65k. and you know i've got more into it than that.
reconmarine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2010, 01:58 PM   #67
reconmarine

...but I don't know if you'd be able to handle looking like a pimp
Unread 03-10-2010, 02:00 PM   #68
reconmarine

Unread 03-10-2010, 02:24 PM   #69
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmarine View Post
Who is that sexy guy?

My CJ7 Build Thread
Unread 03-10-2010, 03:56 PM   #70
AlTheKillerr

Quote:
I would sell you my "rubi" for 65k. and you know i've got more into it than that.
how do you have more than 65k into your jeep
AlTheKillerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2010, 04:03 PM   #71
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicRiver View Post
how do you have more than 65k into your jeep
Yeah... hes a little ridiculous...

If I recall, the only original parts are the tub, the dash, the engine, and the seats...

Colt, youre confusing me with this new name and Avatar... it throws me off everytime I see it.

My CJ7 Build Thread
Unread 03-11-2010, 10:32 AM   #72
AlTheKillerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTJer View Post
Yeah... hes a little ridiculous...

If I recall, the only original parts are the tub, the dash, the engine, and the seats...

Colt, youre confusing me with this new name and Avatar... it throws me off everytime I see it.

sorry felt like using something different.

do you know the specs on his jeep? sounds intense
AlTheKillerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2010, 10:42 AM   #73
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicRiver View Post

sorry felt like using something different.

do you know the specs on his jeep? sounds intense
I have to go by memory and he will probably correct alot of this, but:

06 LJ Rubicon
4.88 gears
6" Nth degree LA lift with extra fabrication for support and strength
ARB lockers front and back
Beadlocks
35" tires
custom roll cage and front stinger
warn rear tire carrier
warn winch
genright flat fenders front and back
genright sliders
I want to say he has replaced both the transmission and t-case
Viair onboard air
PIAA lights
anti-rock system (not currie, but I cant remember the name)
and no doubt, a TON more that im missing...

So between the cost of a new Rubicon and all the fabrication, he is well over 65K... PLUS, he added stuff early on and has since removed it to replace it with something else...

But yes Colt, it is a very intense machine.

My CJ7 Build Thread
Unread 03-11-2010, 06:30 PM   #74
reconmarine

sorry dude by you're wayyyyy off. 5.13 youkons 37's chromoly all they way around. sniper fab flat fenders genright rear and sliders. 32 gal aluminum gas tank with skid. and more than i would ever feel like typing. so im going to stop. you gave it a valiant effort. and thanks for that.
Unread 03-11-2010, 06:56 PM   #75
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
sorry dude by you're wayyyyy off. 5.13 youkons 37's chromoly all they way around. sniper fab flat fenders genright rear and sliders. 32 gal aluminum gas tank with skid. and more than i would ever feel like typing. so im going to stop. you gave it a valiant effort. and thanks for that.
HAhAhahahAhaA, I knew it was a stretch trying to guess and remember what you had on that beast...

My CJ7 Build Thread

Tags
2004 , build , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.