The Wranglerado - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-07-2015, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
blecter

The Wranglerado

Hi y'all! So after pushing my old Chev hard for the last couple of years, I decided to get into a Jeep. I love most things about my half-ton, but I need her to be reliable for snowmobile adventures and wheeling is starting to wear her down.

I wanted something basic, but with an auto tranny as I'm an auto guy from my pickups. I found some nice mid-2000's TJ's, but around here any Jeep with an auto tranny in decent shape disappears in a heartbeat. I eventually found a 2009 Wrangler X with decent mileage, and at a fair price, so I jumped on it. This will be my new project!

Picked it up on a Thursday night, then promptly left for work for a few weeks. Can't win!

She has power nothing - no power locks/windows/etc, no cruise, etc etc. Only a couple options - like the auto tranny, hard top and 3.73 gearing. Dealer put a new windshield and 4 new Duratracs on as well. Can't complain there.

More updates will be up shortly to get me to where I am now. This isn't going to be a super crazy build, but one that is going to work just how I need it too. It will also take some time, so I'm not rushing!

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-07-2015, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
blecter

So why "Wranglerado"? For starters, I'm a Chev guy. I'm planning to paint the Jeep OD green in the spring, and when I do I'll add a bowtie and some name stickers.

Makes all my Dodge/Jeep buddies squirm too!

I got back from work. First problem was the lack of tow points. My Jeep had none whatsoever. Not good. I needed to rectify that before going wheeling, to appease the wheeling gods of course!

I started pricing out bumpers and the likes, and right now getting everything I want is out of my current budget. I settled for a cheaper option for a rear recovery point - a Smittybilt 2" hitch receiver. This works out as I am moving all of my recovery gear from the truck to the Jeep, including my hitches and shackles.

At the same time I grabbed a Hi-Lift Extreme 60". Something I wanted for a while. For mounting I used Hi-Lift's hood bracket mount. Happy with it so far.

And with that I decided to go for a little rip at a local wheeling area. No action shots as I was solo, but boy does she ride different than the Chev. Tons of fun though!

post #3 of 9 Old 11-07-2015, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
blecter

And finally, to bring us up to now.

I wasn't digging the chrome grill, so I grabbed some spray paint and did a terrible paint job on it. Looks great from a distance though! The truck is roughly the same colour, so the two of them are like a family now.

I also swapped out the front bumper. I was never a fan of the stinger styling, but it grew on me and now I love it. I really need tow points for next weekend's wheeling trip, so I bit the bullet and grabbed a Smittybilt SRC Stinger bumper. Not the nicest, but I got a really great price on it, and it will do exactly what I need.

Install was simple. The only issues I hit is that the instructions are grossly out of date (last update was 2010 I believe, and has some incorrect information in it, such as hole and bolt sizes), and there was a little chunk of metal on one of the bolts already attached to the number that I had to get off before the nut would go on. Other than that things went smooth, and I'm happy with the results!

My current plans over the next few months look as follows. Work will slow down as it's about to get real cold outside, but part collection will continue.

- 2.5" coil lift - looking at Teraflex's lower end kit to start with, then build on
- 35's on 17's - looking at going with a steel rim, and thinking of Mickey Thompson MTZ's. Always wanted those tires
- regear to either 4.56 or 4.88's
- locker for the rear D44 - currently undecided
- extend diff/t case/tranny breather lines
- PVC snorkel
- trim fenders
- paint everything either OD green or flat black
- build a table for inside the rear gate
- build a lockable box in the back for tool/etc security when topless
- decide on a soft top

I'm excited to get this project going!

post #4 of 9 Old 11-07-2015, 04:17 PM
Bchain5
2007 WK 

I was expecting to see a hacked up Wrangler and Silverado mashed together when I clicked on this

My 7th Jeep, 07 Grand Cherokee QTII 4.7L
#164 of the Silver WK Club
My build http://goo.gl/sr5m5f
post #5 of 9 Old 11-07-2015, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
blecter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bchain5 View Post
I was expecting to see a hacked up Wrangler and Silverado mashed together when I clicked on this
Haha that would be awesome.

Eventually I want to do a powertrain swap and throw an LS in... but that won't be for years yet.

post #6 of 9 Old 11-07-2015, 04:51 PM
dadzrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bchain5 View Post
Same here lol. Crazy

The Ultimate Driving Machine
post #7 of 9 Old 11-08-2015, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
blecter

Took the Jeep out in some light snow today. The traction control was better than I thought, but not having the wheelbase or the rear locker like the truck will take some getting use to!

Can't wait for more snow!

post #8 of 9 Old 11-14-2015, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
blecter

Out the other day hunting and this happened...

Looks like I'm changing tires sooner than expected! Going to drop to a 15" steel rim. Just need to decide on either 33" Mickey Thompson ATZ P3's or 35" BFG KM2. Fender clearance won't be an issue once I chop my fenders.

Anyone have any experience with either?

post #9 of 9 Old 11-28-2015, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
blecter

Grabbed a set of older Rubicon rims with good shape BFG KM's to solve my tire dilemma. Most cost effective way right now.

So plans are changing drastically. Originally I was looking more at mostly bolt on parts for my rig, but there is a lot of learning I want to do, so that's becoming less and less the case. Nothing big will happen before spring. We're into winter mode here, and the garage is full up, so no working in there (breaks my heart!).

Sent from under the Jeep.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.