Woodsracer's Black TJ - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Woodsracer's Black TJ

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 06-20-2012, 10:20 PM   #16
karlo

Looking great. Nice job!

karlo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2012, 09:47 AM   #17
woodsracer
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I appreciate all the comments. I'm still trying to decide wether to keep it or not once it's rebuilt. But when it's rebuilt at least I'll know what I've got.
woodsracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2012, 10:13 AM   #18
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Obviously pull the stuff you want to keep before you sell. I had a YJ with the 2.5L and I did about everything I could to get it "hopped up" short of a heavier flywheel. Eventually it was time to concede to my earlier assumptions...the 4.0L is where you want to be with a stock TJ or YJ engine. Great progress thus far. Pick up where you left off with this one or the next!

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."
H. L. Mencken - US editor (1880 - 1956)

K.C.C.O. [url]www.thechive.com[/url]
hallsofstone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2012, 03:11 PM   #19
castorriver
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsracer View Post
I'm not sure on the stock bumper. I would guess there would be some drilling.
Oh i didn't realize you got an aftermarket bumper.
Registered Nurse Jeep Club Member #1 (I think...)

Verse 36: And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.
castorriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2012, 05:44 PM   #20
midnight_f150
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsracer View Post
I appreciate all the comments. I'm still trying to decide wether to keep it or not once it's rebuilt. But when it's rebuilt at least I'll know what I've got.
If you ever want to get rid of that hardtop hit me up.
midnight_f150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2012, 06:33 PM   #21
woodsracer
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by castorriver

Oh i didn't realize you got an aftermarket bumper.
I still had to drill the aftermarket one too. Four holes through the bumper through the winch plate. I also drilled holes through the winch plate to bumper mounts. So the winch plate is held on with 8 bolts now.
Unread 06-23-2012, 12:39 PM   #22
woodsracer
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Progress report so far today:
Motor unbolted from trans. Going to start on removing parts from the motor and engine bay. Motor should be out by this afternoon. Not sure if I'm going to tear the block apart today or not.

Got the motor out fairly easy. Drained the oil and that's it. Went to harbor freight to pick up a motor stand and that's as far as I got.

Damage so far, looks like it's going to need a new flex plate. Some of the teeth are torn up pretty bad.
Unread 06-23-2012, 11:04 PM   #23
woodsracer
1997 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE="woodsracer"]Progress report so far today:
Motor unbolted from trans. Going to start on removing parts from the motor and engine bay. Motor should be out by this afternoon. Not sure if I'm going to tear the block apart today or not.

Got the motor out fairly easy. Drained the oil and that's it. Went to harbor freight to pick up a motor stand and that's as far as I got.

Damage so far, looks like it's going to need a new flex plate. Some of the teeth are torn up pretty bad.

Motor out:
image-4119874137.jpg  
Unread 06-24-2012, 01:42 PM   #24
woodsracer
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well I started tearing the motor apart. Nothing new there or any surprises, wasn't my first one to take down to a bare block.
Found out what was making my noise. The skirt on one side of the piston had broken off into two piece and was down in the oil pan. On the positive side it looks like a new tranny was put in around 2008 according to the sticker on it.
image-2279173528.jpg   image-1409939495.jpg  
Unread 06-24-2012, 09:18 PM   #25
woodsracer
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Here's some other shots after cleaning up all the tools. Going to check into a mild cam. Motor is going to the shop tomorrow and I'll find out more then.

Anyone has any other ideas to add little more pep to this little four banger? I know over in the dirt bike world my crf250r's(06 and 07) are ported and polished, high compression piston, and different cams.

Might end up turboing it or supercharging it if I keep it long enough.
image-3012524873.jpg   image-3111478634.jpg  
Unread 06-25-2012, 08:03 AM   #26
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Mainly bolt-ons are the only thing that's worth it. I read an article quite a while ago about a heavier flywheel adding some much needed "balls" to the 2.5L. It was in a Petersen's or a FourWheeler, I can't remember which. Of course look into things like throttle body spacer, higher flow exhaust, cold air intake, the usual. In the end, for what money you have in rebuilding the block, port and polish, and adding bolt-on's, you can have a 4.0L and tranny out of a Cherokee with decent miles. Since you seem to be mechanically inclined and properly equipped with tools, you would probably only have to invest in motor mounts being moved and then bolt everything up yourself.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."

Unread 06-25-2012, 08:58 AM   #27
woodsracer
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallsofstone
Mainly bolt-ons are the only thing that's worth it. I read an article quite a while ago about a heavier flywheel adding some much needed "balls" to the 2.5L. It was in a Petersen's or a FourWheeler, I can't remember which. Of course look into things like throttle body spacer, higher flow exhaust, cold air intake, the usual. In the end, for what money you have in rebuilding the block, port and polish, and adding bolt-on's, you can have a 4.0L and tranny out of a Cherokee with decent miles. Since you seem to be mechanically inclined and properly equipped with tools, you would probably only have to invest in motor mounts being moved and then bolt everything up yourself.
Don't think I mentioned this earlier, but I also had to remove the front bumper. Stupid stinger was in the way.

Yeah if I motor swap it a straight six would be last on the list to go in. I'm dreaming of a 5.3 vortec in there someday. I guess it's a good thing I have my truck, but it feels weird switching from the 2.5l to the 5.9l gas burner.

My old yj got caught on fire by the previous owner and I had to rewire the whole the thing. Who knew jeep didn't put the same harnesses in 4 cylinders for 93. Three different harnesses later and swapping wires from my original it was up and running.

After that little fiasco, it's scared me of wiring up a completely different motor.
Unread 06-25-2012, 10:33 AM   #28
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

There's been some substantial exporation of the 5.2L and 5.8L MOPAR V8's lately on Jeepforum. They are relatively cost effective, produce reasonable numbers, and the wiring is much cheaper and easier to accomplish than some of the other comparable V8 swaps. This is even coming from a guy (myself) who has an obsession with the GM 350, those two engines are my #1 and #2 considerations for when my 4.0L goes south of the cheese.

I'd be interested to see what benefits you find with the heavier flywheel. Since you have it all apart anyway, might be worth a try for what little it costs to get one. Here's the online copy of that writeup I was referring to:
http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techart...que/index.html

Unread 06-25-2012, 01:52 PM   #29
woodsracer
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallsofstone View Post
There's been some substantial exporation of the 5.2L and 5.8L MOPAR V8's lately on Jeepforum. They are relatively cost effective, produce reasonable numbers, and the wiring is much cheaper and easier to accomplish than some of the other comparable V8 swaps. This is even coming from a guy (myself) who has an obsession with the GM 350, those two engines are my #1 and #2 considerations for when my 4.0L goes south of the cheese.

I'd be interested to see what benefits you find with the heavier flywheel. Since you have it all apart anyway, might be worth a try for what little it costs to get one. Here's the online copy of that writeup I was referring to:
http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techart...que/index.html
I know for certain the 5.9L 360 will not go into this jeep. That's what is in my truck and I get about 15.1mpg average on a good day.

My dad took the block and everything to the shop this morning and most of the stuff checked out. Block will be bored .30 over and a stage 2 cam will be going in. The motor guy also said he doesn't even know how the little thing had any power the way the piston and rings looked. So hopefully the freshening up and the cam change will result in something will a little more grunt.

Still waiting on the block to be checked to see if there are any cracks. Now the waiting game begins. I'd really like to have it back together for the ride at byrd's adventure center next month.
Unread 07-04-2012, 10:12 PM   #30
woodsracer
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Not much of an update but I took out the grille today. Whoever replaced it put a red one on it and painted it. Never sanded it down, and the paint ran like crazy. Going to sand it down and paint it, along with a new hood, paint the fenders, wind shield frame, and couple other little pieces up front.

Block was still in the vat being boiled last time I called. Hopefully won't be there that much longer. I'm getting tired of driving my truck!

Tags
arkansas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.