Woodsracer's Black TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Woodsracer's Black TJ

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 06-07-2012, 10:28 PM   #1
woodsracer
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Woodsracer's Black TJ

So long story short I traded my 93 YJ straight up for a 97 black TJ. Both have the 2.5l, but the tj has an auto trans.

Here's my old YJ

And Here's how I got the TJ

17" rims and on 35s, with no lift

First off the TJ ran, but not very well at all. Had to add trans fluid, buy a new radiator because it didn't have the right one in it. Then come to find out it had a head gasket leak so I had to take care of that. While I was at I decided to check the rod bearings and ended up changing those as well. I think the water that got in from the bad gasket helped them out, in a bad way.

Took the wheels off and found a set of stock jeep wheels and tires on craigslist for cheap:

Sold the Gear Alloy rims and 35s on Craigslist

Decided my next project was to take care of the the fender flares and the over spray from the previous owner. Wet sanded the flare down and painted them with krylon fusion satin black.

Took some rubbing compound and spent about an hour polishing away:

I took my usual peek at craigslist one night and found a guy that was looking to trade a set of alloy wheels and 31s for a set of stock wheels and tires SCORE! The only thing I had to do was go to Pick-N-Pull and find a matching spare. I found one that matched and had a good 31 M/T on it. Bought a used highway terrain tire to put on for the spare and traded away.

Before:

After:

I hadn't tried flexing this tj out yet so I tried it out:

So I started looking at bumpers and didn't find anything that I really like that was in my price range. I really wanted something with a stinger and hood loop. So I settled on a E-Auto Grilles stinger front bumper. It seems solid so far. The Fed-Ex guy had a hard time carrying it down the driveway
It only weighs 72 pounds according to their shipping tracker.

Went to wal-mart and picked up some cheap driving lights to fill the light holes for now:

Winch to come next.

That's where I'm at so far. I intend to lift it 2.5-3 inches and put some tube fenders in the front. A new rear bumper with receiver for a hitch. When I get the cash, I'll eventually go to 33s and regear to 4:56. Swap to a high pinion d30 front and lock it with an aussie. Do a body lift when I do the 33s and make room for a tummy tuck.

Oh and I don't reccommend crown auto parts hood latch replacements. One was broke out of the box and one was starting to split. Called and was told they don't deal directly with the public.

Those are my plans for now, but they change about every week or so lol.

woodsracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
woodsracer
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Picked up a badlands 12000 pound winch today for $325 out the door. Forgot to get a winch plate while I was there, so I'll have to pick one up tomorrow and get it all installed.
Unread 06-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #3
castorriver
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sweet so far. Does the winch bolt right on to the stock bumper with a winch plate?
Registered Nurse Jeep Club Member #1 (I think...)

Verse 36: And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.
castorriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2012, 08:53 PM   #4
woodsracer
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure on the stock bumper. I would guess there would be some drilling.

Next big purchase will be a lift, either zone offroad 3" or rough country 2.5" progressive springs with zone shocks. Then I can get back out to superlift and get some wheeling in again.

For now I think I'm going to buy some 2" budget boost spacers to put in the front to level it out.
Unread 06-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #5
woodsracer
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Didn't get much done today like I had planned.
Got the winch plate cut up and in place. Going to drill the bumper out tomorrow and get everything all mounted up.
image-2412514243.jpg  
Unread 06-09-2012, 11:23 PM   #6
midnight_f150
2002 TJ Wrangler 

where in central arkansas do you live?
midnight_f150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2012, 07:10 PM   #7
woodsracer
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_f150
where in central arkansas do you live?
Conway.

Sorry for all the crappy cell phone pics.

Here's what I got done today:
image-3264443149.jpg  
Unread 06-12-2012, 09:29 AM   #8
woodsracer
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ordered a set of 2" lift spacers to hopefully have before the weekend. If all else fails I have a set of 6 cylinder springs that will hopefully get me up a bit.
Unread 06-12-2012, 08:02 PM   #9
woodsracer
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Little bit of a scenic shot from fishing this afternoon:
image-1725526377.jpg  
Unread 06-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #10
midnight_f150
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsracer View Post
Next big purchase will be a lift, either zone offroad 3" or rough country 2.5" progressive springs with zone shocks. Then I can get back out to superlift and get some wheeling in again.
Talk to Ty Turner owner of Turner Offroad. http://www.arkansascrawlers.com/main...ad.php?t=12343
midnight_f150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #11
Prryan45
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good.
Prryan45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #12
woodsracer
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Pretty productive weekend on the jeep. Dropped the front axle and installed 6 cylinder springs and two inch spacers to level it out.

Got out to superlift this weekend too.

Had a great time and nothing broke!
image-3822943087.jpg   image-204321395.jpg   image-2022489540.jpg   image-1303767662.jpg   image-1092618263.jpg  

image-2064165897.jpg  
Unread 06-20-2012, 04:03 PM   #13
woodsracer
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Going to be pulling the motor this week and have it rebuilt. Started having a really bad knock and my motor guy thinks it's a wrist pin.
Unread 06-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #14
mbporesky
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hey! looks sick so far. For the engine i havent personally drove a 4 banger but i have the 4.0 and onroad power isnt well, amazing so i cant imagine the 4 banger, but i also have 35s and my jeep weighs a few thousand pounds more. Titan engines offer a good range or rebuilt engines. http://titanengines.com/remanufactured-engines/jeep. I know its more than just plopping a 4.0 in.( trans and other issues). I just thought i would add my two cents. Its alot of money if your on a tight budget.
Unread 06-20-2012, 06:03 PM   #15
woodsracer
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have a set of pistons and a few other odds and ends sitting around. Just basically pay the labor to have the motor put back together. The pistons were given to me for free so that's good. I put in new litters yesterday. So not much else left.

I think I'm going to give up on this wrangler though. Seems like something goes wrong every week. Oh well move on to my fourth wrangler lol. I'm not a fan of the four cylinder and after this I don't think I ever will be.

Tags
arkansas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.