I plan on running it mostly in Ocotillo Wells and surrounding areas. I also will make trips to other So Cal locations.
Looking like ill be posting new updates sunday nights giving details on weeks activities. So If your interested in following either subscribe or check sunday nights.
This week I shaved the front frame area to prep for plating the frame rails
This is how they looked before, notice the lip where they joined the sheet metal.
I cut it off, rewelded the frame and then smoothed it out.
After months of staring at the jeep not making progress I had to do something I could finish in a weekend, so we made a rear bumper/ relocated how my spares mounted. Before they just stood up in the tub where the stock spare was located. This new position allows me to raise the fuel tank between the frame rails so gain better departure angle in rear.
Hopefully in the next week, Ill get the crossmember and beam mounts tacked in place so start getting the front end plated and caged.
__________________ March 2014 GCOTM. 1998 Deep Slate 5.9 On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint. In the garage: M1 4bbl In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
Got a random wednesday off. Took the time alone in the shop to get stuff done.
Made templates for the frame plates, then started to tackle the beam mounts.
After 6 hrs ive done it. I have TTB mocked up in a jeep and surprisingly there is a lot more room than I thought. My beams right now are completely stock, no cutting or extending, and it looks like im going to get decent travel and improved ground clearance over solid axle. Its a rough design for right now, but I didnt want to start building with 3/16 plate. The jig I made from the bronco worked perfectly the beams are centered under the jeep and everything works so far. I need to trim off what I dont need from these mounts and add in some pleaces. Then Ill make new mounts from thick plate, throw the axles and gears and get the radius arms going in the next week or so. If anyone knows where I can get a set of 14in coilovers for mock up that would be great.
After a few weeks off to ride the the dirt bike and night spent in camp with no toys I hit it hard this weekend. 3 9 hr days can get a lot done. Plus the addition of this little guy
Brown Santa brought these guys thursday in preparation
I started making the cross members and support plates on saturday. Thats when I decieded the plasma was best used outdoors
By Sunday mid day I had the crossmember in there
This plasma was awesome I could start in the middle of 1/4" plate and draw any shape I wanted. Made for some cool cut outs.
Toady was a marathon I got the radius arm mounts and location figured out.
I spent some time before I started today looking at location of beams and relation of the left and right beam in relationtion to each other. I also set the wheel center line and made sure everything was square. I then took a hard measurement for the length of my radius arms. I spent a lot of today build the plates to attach my radius arm to my beam. I might cut down the size a little but Im on the road of bigger is better.
After cutting a piece of 1.75 .120 wall dom to fit I tacked it all together and took some measurements of travel.
This is full bump
That is 17 inches of travel which will probably strap at 15 due to axle shaft issues. Tomorrow I am going to build the drivers side radius arm and check the crossmember and differential clearance issues. The next big build session should be thanksgiving. Look for more pictures then.