WJ Overland Build Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > WJ Overland Build Thread

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 12-15-2014, 10:43 AM   #1
kimballkrawler
2002 WJ 

WJ Overland Build Thread

General Info
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
4.7 V8 H.O.
Quadrat-Trac II (NV247)

Current Specs
Notch Customs Fenders
Zone 4" suspension lift
15x8 Ion Alloy wheels
33x12.50x15 Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs

After selling my second wrangler I decided it was time to give the WJ a try. I test drove several Grand Cherokees but when i found this overland it was a pretty easy sell. Picked it up for $4400. It had 137k miles but a rebuilt engine with less than 100! I immediately noticed that building a WJ was much different than a TJ. I had previously owned two TJ's and the options were endless! WJ's on the other hand aren't as easy to customize because few companies fab parts for them. Being my first completely stock jeep i had a lot of decisions to make. Phase one was to originally go with a 6" long arm lift and 35" tires but that changed and got pushed to Phase 2.

Phase 1
Roof Rack
4" Zone suspension Lift
33x12.50x15 MT/Rs
15x8 Ion Alloy Wheels

Phase 2 (Future plans)
6" lift with long arms
Tcase swap from 247 to 242HD
Notch Customs front bumper
JK axles swap (gears and lockers)
35x12.50x15 tires

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Last edited by kimballkrawler; 12-15-2014 at 04:44 PM..
kimballkrawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2014, 10:56 AM   #2
Mark-318-IT
1998 ZJ 

looks very good!
Mark-318-IT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2014, 11:11 AM   #3
kimballkrawler
2002 WJ 

Here it is sitting in the driveway just minutes after bringing it home for the first time:
Unread 12-15-2014, 11:47 AM   #4
kimballkrawler
2002 WJ 

I kept going back on forth on how i was going to do this build. What lift? What size tires? what am i going to do about the fenders? The more i looked into it the more complicated things got. While that battle was going on in my head, I decided i needed to at least do something. So i decided to put on a roof rack because the new spare was by no means going to fit in it's normal location. I also decided to replace the stock radio. When i bought it the radio display didn't work so you never really had any idea what station you were listening too. It made finding good tunes more of a challenge haha.

I got the universal roof rack and cross bars off eBay. it wasn't a perfect fit so i had to trim a few things but all in all it was only a $100 upgrade

For the radio I went with a Kenwood eXcelon KDC-x-798. It's not a bad head unit but if i were to do it again i would go with one of the JVC Arsenal units.

Unread 12-15-2014, 12:00 PM   #5
kimballkrawler
2002 WJ 

I decided no matter what lift or tires i went with, the fender issue needed to be addressed. In my research i stumbled upon some made by Iceland that i liked but i quickly found out they had gone out of business. Luck has it a local shop, Moab Outfitters, purchased the molds that Iceland had used and was now selling them under the name Notch Customs. I visited the shop and once i saw them with the bedliner finish i was sold. I was super happy with how they turned out but with no lift and tires i drove around for a few weeks looking like an idiot on stock tires.

Unread 12-15-2014, 12:50 PM   #6
kimballkrawler
2002 WJ 

Found a good deal on wheels that i couldn't pass up. I didn't like them just sitting around so I decided to do a little custom paint job with plastic dip. 6 coats of red and 2 of the glossifier. I'm really happy with the outcome. Only regret now is that i didn't use actual paint because it's going to peel off over time

Unread 12-15-2014, 01:04 PM   #7
kimballkrawler
2002 WJ 

The big decision: Sometimes money talks (or the lack of money) my money said that long arms and 35s were too far out of reach so I put that on the back burner and went with a zone 4" suspension lift and 33s. Install took place last weekend. I was a little worried that i wouldn't have the aggressive look i was going for but i couldn't have been happier. I had to do some additional trimming to get the 33s to stop rubbing but it was totally worth it!

Last edited by kimballkrawler; 12-15-2014 at 04:52 PM..
Unread 12-15-2014, 01:10 PM   #8
kimballkrawler
2002 WJ 

I felt like it was Christmas driving this thing. Being the impatient person i am I decided to take a last minute trip down to some lava tubes by Filmore so i could hit some dirt roads. There's obviously a lot of dirts road much closer but i wanted to get a feel for it on the freeway. So far the only issues i've run into is some minor vibes and the bigger tires throwing off the speedometer and making the transmission shift a lot. I'm still figuring out a fix for that but here's a few pics from my little excursion.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.