Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Wj build bluedreamn

20K views 122 replies 21 participants last post by  Rod Kimble 
#1 · (Edited)
Been wanting to do a build thread for a while now,guess I finally got some time.

Had a 99 wj 4.slow was cool took it to sierra Nevadas and big bear a couple times also some local cali trails like silverado canyone trail and Santa Rosa truck trail. however it had its problems,after much debate and contemplating I decided to sell the pos and start over with a real nice rig since I won't be driving it everyday and I plan on making it my around two new and mountain bound rigg. Anyways here she is after looking at a couple other wj I found a sweet one that I couldnt walk away from,can't seem to find a pic of when I first got him but here's the run down

-rough county long arms upgrade
-Bilstein shocks front measure 30 rear 28
-IRO 4 inch coils
-jku adj track bar
-jks quick discos
-1 inch spacer up front 2 inch spacer in the rear(I like the rake for camping trips)
-RC transfer case skid plate
-JKU rubi Rock sliders
-1.5 inch wheel spacers
-jku Arctic wheels
-285 70 17 RPB mud terrains
-Rola roof rack
-6 led pod lights from 4wheel parts(4 on rack in all directions 2 on fender mounts)
-led fog lights
-hi jack mount with 48 inch jack
-home made rear tire carrier with stock bumper cover
- Halo projector LED headlights

Future mods
-Swap out IRO coils for Rusty's or Clayton 4.5 mabey 6 after the axle swaps
-gas tank tuck
-2 inch fender trim all around
-front low pro bumper
-Rear high clear tire carrier bumper
-snorkle to let that V8 breeeaaath
Route 1
- jk Rubi axle swap front and rear with 4.10 and e lockers and sell my unused spartan (4000)
- 34 or 35 tires preference is duratracs or red letter generals (1500)
-242 hd swap (500)
-Tom woods custom shafts front and rear (1200)

Route 2
- purchase a 44 ecgs with e locker and 4.10 (5500)
- beef up the 44a add 4.10 and arb locker (2000)
-35 red gens or duratracs (1500)
- 242 hd transfer case (500)
-tom woods front drive shaft (800)

See less See more
#2 ·
First couple mods were the cb radio and fender mount pod lights,shortly after that go some 265 75 16 buckshot that I threw on before the serra trip I took in 2016. Buddie took his xjhiti on the last trip for her,sold shortly after we got home from the trip.

Attachments

#4 ·
Now to present day plastic dipped the wheels didn't know if I would like them all black will get them painted if I do,ANNNNNNNDDDDD little bro came home with a sick *** jeep today,can't wait to show him up on the trails and mod his jku out. He got an artic edition never seen one or herd of it.

Attachments

#5 ·
Some better pics in the day,also goingredients to pick up some bill shocks from a fellow neighborhood jeepershould work for my long atlrm lift,I'm debating clayton springs or iro Springs any recomendations are welcomed.

Attachments

#6 ·
Went to cleghorn trail today,bro had fun with his jku but it's no v8 :) also picked up the billisten shocks today they measure from tip toof tip rear 30 front 28 should go good with my long arm setup.

Attachments

#7 ·
Bought my hitch today a gentleman sold it to me brand new for 45 bucks,went to the metal man near me and picked up a 7 foot 2×4 and 11 feet of some steel tube will be starting the tire carrier very soon I will be following the examples of a couple diffrent threads mostly http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310...-take-22-a-1619433/#/topics/1619433?_k=k87l1b
I like this one alot. Will post picks of the materials when I get home.

#9 ·
Got the hitch installed just before night fall pretty simple just loosen up the bolts holding the skid plate and slide it on up i used a jack to hold the skid and me and my bro beans twomanned it up was supper easy with two people,tomorrow I will be making measurements on the metal?.

Attachments

#10 ·
Was a great day to paint so I decided to do somthin diffrent with the grill. Started by redoing everything in plasti dip last night then doing a light layer of spray paint,turned out real good my test subject was my old rim I did it a couple days ago during the week just to make sure I could peel it off if I didn't like it,while I was at it I added some more red touches to the jeep so far I like it so I'm gana take her to the wash and clean her up. Also started on the tire carrier not much progress but I stared cutting the metal base out of the way for the 2x4 took a while but glad I got it done. Tomorrow morning gana see if I can cut it and tack it down.

Attachments

#11 ·
Finished the grill and started on the rims,fresh coat of plasti dip then I'll do a layer of black rustolium and a clear coat to seal it all up,test subject was my spare tire been workin on it all last week to make sure I can peel it off with the paint over the plastidip,if anyone is wanting to do the same method I suggest doing multiple layers of the plasti dip I did a can and a half on each rim. Also popped the caps of and painted the jeep wording red I think it gives it a little more flare. I got the idea from the trd tacomas.

Attachments

#12 ·
Little bit of a set back my wallet got stollen out of the jeep they pushed my sun roof open and took my phone as well....? them. So after cancelling the cards and filling a report I was just bummed. Then the track bar came the same day and springs are on the way. After I get my card in I'll be ordering the arms kit next. So with that in mind me and the dudes hit up a trail for the weekend it's was pretty tough got stuck a couple times mainly because of poor lines but the bro had fun and Ithe made me Wana lift me jeeposted sooner rather than later.? and the jeep came back brown and blue,love driving threw mud but damage I hate cleaning it off.

Attachments

#13 ·
Tire carrier is coming along well,been spending all my free time on it and ran into a couple hiccups but it's gana be dope AF when I'm done.

Attachments

#17 ·
Sick jeep! I wanted that color but wasnt able to find one at the time. The tire carrier looks real solid i actually based mine of that same build you did but just like everyone else, with my own twist haha .Looking forward to seeing the progress on that baby bro !

#18 ·
Long arms came in today,supper pumped to get these on juSt waiting on coils and starring stabilizer from iro then it's install time. Also took the jeep to trabuco Creek,it was closed but we had alot of fun just taking the side routes and watching BMW and Volkswagens driving offroad. I couldn't belive it even thow it was very mild for the most part,and once we got back i could just tell my jeep didn't feel right and sure enough on the way home from the gym it threw a check engine light flash 7 times I guess it's a mistake fire and my temp Guage is slightly colder than normal also I can feel a weird pulse on idle just barely so I talked to my pops and he things it's sparkplug/coil ignition problem so I will have to get that looked at will I do the install. For now I'm trying not to drive it .

Attachments

#19 ·
long arms are on,took two days to complete it me and my little bro did it over the weekend at my pops shop,and WOOW I love it already.I only got to drive it 10 feet to move it but hopefully I get it back tomorrow.

A couple things I wanted to mention about the rc kit to anyone looking to purchase it,the instructions sucks major *** I know there just pictures for the most part but jezz I struggled alot with that part.

Shocks worked out great I think I might have to go a little longer in the back but I used all my old hardware from the stock shocks and they fit perfectly.

Had a problem with the zone track bar fitting into the axle part so that's not all the way on but my alinment guy will get that handled for me.

Will probly get some bigger tires by the end of the year thinkin 265 70 17 general red letters:)

Deffinally getting some coIL retainers for the front and brake line extentions.

Also changed all spark plugs to solve a misfire code that popped up but after talking to my dad he thinks a coil might have gotten water in it because I did do a awesome pressure washing job on the engine bay that same day and the code didn't pop up agian after I cleared it but ehh the engine needed some love too.

Attachments

#20 ·
BEAST IS HOOOMMEEEE,took the freeway to see if I had any vibes and as far as I could tell none that noticeable,there might be a slight one at take off thow I'm thinking its time to check the DS joints and go from there. As for as ride wise it's Definitely different,can still turn on a dime thow. After I got home I checked all the bolts,shocks and arms all tight but I noticed a rumble whew I start it sounds like my exhaust is hitting the crossmember. Ganna post pics to the wj of the month soon after I wash it up. Soon I will me tackling some engine work I have a leak that I don't like and I think it's from the valve cover gasket passenger side so probly gana do both and check the fill neck gasket. Pops thinks I should start saving for an engine rebuild if the leak doesn't stop after that because no one wants to be out on the trails with that thought on there mind and he said he has some HO heads from and 04 they recently put a reman in.can't wait to test the flex thow I got front brake line exstenders to put on as well so still gata wrench on it till I can really stretch the new lift.

Attachments

#21 ·
Little update,neighbor hooked it up with some rubicon brake lines,turned out pretty good. Also I replaced both valve covers,after pulling them off to replace the seals I noticed the inside seal rail was gashed in a couple spots on one of them and while pulling one bolt out of the driver side I broke off the entire circle of the old cover so 250 bucks later I got all new covers and the leak has stopped. Looks like my rear main is the next thing to check out. Then I found a pick of the day I brought it home....lots of changes:)

Attachments

#23 ·
Went to Thomas mountain and black mountain in idywild this weekend,nothing to crazy but we had some fun.

Attachments

#24 ·
Working on some rock sliders,picked up some jku sliders for 50 bucks,then about 20 bucks in some metal I'm at this,gana make a middle mount that connects to the frame I found a few threads with simular design's so sliders for about 80 bucks sound dope to me.

Attachments

#26 ·
Haha thsnks man yeah I think it's because I'm using the Mobil app I need to login on the computer and fix that as well also I should probly fill out my profile

Also got the frame kickers on the rock sliders today I'm gana probly finish this weekend

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.