Wish I had done it right the first time........ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Wish I had done it right the first time........

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line50" LED CREE Light Bar Pair With Wiring KitTeraflex JK LCG PRE-RUNNER KIT! ULTIMATE OFF ROAD PERFORMA

Unread 02-06-2015, 01:34 PM   #1
GoodtimeKenny
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Wish I had done it right the first time........

I started my build with a 97 TJ, 4cyl, ax5. I blew the 4cyl and was hell bent on doing a 4.3 chevy vortec swap!! I started off with a junk yard motor....*** deep in the build that motor siezed up, and the transmission I had, a 700r4 was left at a friends shop where I had welded in the motor mount that ended up dissappearing. There went $400.
I bought another 4.3, 4L60e($500) and began the swap again. I went with Howell EFI custom wiring harnes($550), and getting my computer flashed and reprogrammed by LT1swap.com($75). After getting this motor mounted I realized my stock TJ radiator wasnt going to work. I bought a Champion racing 3 core radiator($225) to keep things cool. I got this motor running, but it was running ruff. I replaced the spider injection system($190) this helped but didnt cure my problem. I went with a inline high pressure holley fuel pump($275). Motor was running but now running hot.....blown head gaskets($60 gasket kit, $150 to get the heads checked and planed, $40 head studs). I was able to get it all put back together and take the jeep out for its maiden run. I got to wheel a whole entire hour before I spun 3 of the 4 main bearings!!!
So, bought a running in the vehical motor for $600 at a local yard. I brought it home and installed it with in the weekend, while making all my final once overs under the hood, I smelled that awful white bluish smoke. The motor had over heated. I did another head gasket job($60 gaskets, $150 head work, $40 new studs). This didnt fix all my problems with this motor, I know had a ring or two stuck so the jeep continuislly smoked. Time to do things right, I broke down and bought a full rebuild kit from summit racing($509).
I took the motor to a local guy that builds street rods and classic cars, he charged me $250 to rebuild it since i had taken the motor out for him.
I got the rebuilt motor back and was hooking everything up and noticed the high pressure fuel line had a kink in it from being taken on and off so many times. I went to my local NAPA store and had them build me a custom high pressure hose($100), worked flawlessly! Since I was thinking the motor is now new, she needs new water pump($60), a new power steering pump($158), and finally a new alternator($70).
So, lesson learned was that when doing a project one needs to fully research what it all entails including the cost. You might think a junk yard motor is great because you got a steal of a price, but it is way easier to rebuild it before going thru all the trouble installing it and tearing it down multiple times. I love working on my jeep, but I should have been enjoing it instead of it sitting for nearly two years.

GoodtimeKenny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2015, 01:55 PM   #2
GoodtimeKenny
1997 TJ Wrangler 

motor block

motor-block.jpg
Unread 02-06-2015, 02:02 PM   #3
GoodtimeKenny
1997 TJ Wrangler 

water pump

water-pump.jpg
Unread 02-06-2015, 02:02 PM   #4
GoodtimeKenny
1997 TJ Wrangler 

painted motor

painted-motor.jpg
Unread 02-06-2015, 02:03 PM   #5
GoodtimeKenny
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Front side view

front-jeep.jpg
Unread 02-06-2015, 02:04 PM   #6
GoodtimeKenny
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Finished motor

finished-motor.jpg
Unread 02-06-2015, 02:11 PM   #7
GoodtimeKenny
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Misc build parts

I installed Rock Sliders, Rock Ready steering box skid, Aussie locker in the front, Ten Factory axle seals, custom Eqquis 8000 white face gauges, Warn VR8000 winch, Solid rear diff cover, Novak transfercase shift linkage, stubbed and welded all the holes in on factory front bumper, and I am sure I am missing others as the list continues to build!
Unread 02-06-2015, 02:18 PM   #8
GoodtimeKenny
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Custom dash

dash1.jpg
Unread 02-06-2015, 02:19 PM   #9
GoodtimeKenny
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Dash view 2

dash-2.jpg
Unread 02-06-2015, 02:20 PM   #10
GoodtimeKenny
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Just got in a new part this week!

I got my Rubicon Express track bar in the mail this week and will get installed this week!
Unread 02-06-2015, 02:23 PM   #11
GoodtimeKenny
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Stubbed factory bumber

stubbed-bumper.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.