Willys replica build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Willys replica build

UCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 10-13-2014, 03:44 PM   #1
workgoats
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Willys replica build

I haven't been on long enough yet to post pics but they will come soon.

I took the axles and transfer from an 89 Cherokee and build a complete new unibody to approximate a 48 or so Willys pickup. The original plan was to build a 4x4 street rod but it made its way into the off road catagory.

It is powered by a Dodge 360 Magnum engine and the transmission is a 727. I'm still having some tuning issues with the MegaSquirt computer but we are working on that issue.

workgoats is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2014, 08:42 AM   #2
workgoats
1989 XJ Cherokee 

profile pic

A picture of the near finished Jeep is on my profile.
Unread 10-19-2014, 08:27 PM   #3
workgoats
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I tend to want something different. So...

I started with a fairly good looking 89 Cherokee. The engine was toast. We bought it for the transmission which was transplanted into my daughter's 88.

When I got through cutting on the XJ, I had the front frame clip from the seats forward and the rear axle and springs.

I built the beginning of the frame with 2x3 tubing. Then added a 2x2 frame member about 6" higher and this became the floor.

The engine was a 318 that was removed from a running Ramcharger to make room for a Magnum 360. The transmission was a 904 built from a 2x Ramcharger front case and the balance from a 80's Eagle SX-4.

The transfer is a NP242 from the 89 Cherokee. The input gear had the wrong spline count for the Eagle transmission but Novak people provided the right one.

I did a final square up on the frame and welded a piece of 1/8" plate above the rear axle and the shock mounts to hold it where it belonged.

I had in mind what I wanted it to look like. The plan was to get a Texas title for a Willys replica. I went as far as putting up a concept drawing and lined out a plan for the grille.

After the frame was established, I centered my time on fabrication of the grille. I planned it to look like a 1948 +/- Willys but I changed the number of vertical bars.

I found headlight buckets in a couple of old Dodge pickups. One came from a 1953 3/4 ton stake bed and the other from a 1955 half ton pickup.

The vertical bars are light weight 1" square tubing. Modifications to the grille continued. Part of the front fenders are welded to the grille and bolted to the remainder of the fender, allowing removal of the front end (for when I install a bigger engine).

The parking lights came from kaiserwillys.com. That is the same source I used for the CJ instrument panel that I bought.

The radiator was purchased from Speedway and it was a tight fit.

Last edited by workgoats; 10-19-2014 at 08:29 PM.. Reason: removed some text not needed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.