Wife's 93 YJ "build" - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Wife's 93 YJ "build"

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-17-2014, 05:54 PM   #46
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Alright. TJ flares part 2 happened today. Scan back through the thread for before pics of the rear flares. Here's a quick step by step.

1 - remove old flares and fender liners (optional, but the liner becomes a PITA if you try to keep it)
2 - apply a bunch of masking tape around the wheel opening. This helps save your paint while you cut, and gives something to draw the cut line on

3 - clamp the TJ flares in place and trace your cut line. I lined up the front of the new flare with the stock wheel opening

4 - Cut out the traced line. IMO this is best done with a jigsaw and from back to front. You have more control than a grinder. I've done it both ways, and the jigsaw is definitely preferred. After the initial cut (purposely a little smaller than final), I used a grinder w/ a flap disk to smooth all the rough edges and slowly open up the cut to the proper fit.

5 - After you have the flare fitting properly, clamp it back in place and mark holes to be drilled. I chose to use the original 3 holes in the front on each side and drilled holes in the flare to match. The rest I marked on my tape which was still applied and drilled the new holes to match the existing holes in the flares. Install the flare using the original hardware

6 - pile all the tools you ended up using during the install onto your service cart so you can get it all back into the garage

7 - admire your work.. Still need to plasti-dip these flares but I didn't have time today

8 - Optional. I wanted to keep some of the protection of the fender liner where is shields the drain channel under the floor, and in the back to protect the light wiring. I had to cut the liner up a bit to remove it so I just used 2 sections to cover the very front and very back of the inner fender. I'll be spraying bed liner inside the fender as well once we get a chance to pressure wash some mud out.

bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2014, 09:58 AM   #47
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Spent some time yesterday to remove and plasti-dip the rear flares. I also sprayed bedliner in the rear wheel wells since I'm not using the original liners. Still letting it all dry so no finished pics yet.

We'll be taking it to get some paint and body work this weekend. It should look pretty sweet when we get it back. I don't really care about paint, but Amy wants it to look nicer. As long as it makes her happy.
Unread 02-28-2014, 07:58 AM   #48
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Amy posted this to FB after I got her the new seatbelts for Valentines day. It made me LOL..

Since then, we ordered a new Bestop replacement top with tinted windows (my old top was a bit stained from many years of use), some new door handles for the 1/2 doors (again, old, faded, broken spring), and I ordered some new rails for the tub to replace the one I smashed. It has worked fine, but the old ones would look pretty crappy with the new paint.

Also, we dropped the Jeep off at my buddy's place for paint as planned. I've been getting a few progress pics back. I won't be able to post any more after this until it's finished because Amy said she didn't want to see it again until it's done.

Unread 03-08-2014, 07:41 AM   #49
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Stopped by my buddy's place last night with the new parts and got the last few pieces installed on the Jeep. New color looks great. We we planning to bring it home last night but waiting on a new windshield to be installed. Probably looking at Monday.

Unread 03-12-2014, 12:16 PM   #50
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Picked the Jeep up last night. Got it home and installed the new soft top but it was dark when we got that done so no pics yet with the top.

Unread 03-24-2014, 12:01 PM   #51
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Amy posted a before/after shot on FB. It came out pretty good IMO.

Unread 03-26-2014, 06:10 AM   #52
responder
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Looking good!
responder is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.