Got the doors painted. Used some Krylon rust tough gloss black. They don't look great, but in that respect they match the current paint job on the Jeep pretty well.
No pics on the Jeep yet. I got them put back together and installed, but it started raining again this afternoon so I had to cover it up. My wife needs to clean the upper 1/2 doors and then we can install the soft top.
Honestly, I'm not thrilled with it. It looks great, fits great, but it has proven to be less than waterproof. Water beads pretty well on top, but if water collects more than a very small amount on any part it seeps through. The first heavy rain I had it on over the bikini top and when we removed the cover (had a nice puddle on the roof) we found a puddle in the bikini top as well. I emailed them about it last week but haven't received any response yet. I need to email them again. Maybe I expected too much from a "rain gear" cover, but I think it should keep the rain out a bit better than it has.
I realized yesterday that I never got a pic with the soft top installed. The old top is still looking pretty good IMO. I've had this top longer than I've known my wife (~12 years now). The only part I was worried about was the tub rail for the driver's side since I smashed it up pretty good a few years ago at Harlan. Thankfully I was able to bolt it down, then some slight tweaking with pliers and it all works fine.
ugh... Yes, that's on the list. It's been on the list since we bought it, but it hasn't made it to the top yet. My wife will be buying those (I'm fighting the urge to buy them myself really hard). Doing TJ flares, eventually. If I wasn't picking up a pair of axles from a 4cyl YJ to swap in I probably would have already ordered and installed them.
And here we are. Finally working on replacing the chopped up crappy looking fender flares. I started this yesterday and I'm almost finished with the front. I don't recall it taking this long on my Jeep a few years ago, but I'm probably being a little more careful cutting on my wife's Jeep than I was on mine. I also opted to trim part of the fender (the back for extra tire clearance), but across the top I trimmed the lip off the flare where it interfered. The end result is basically the same and this was easier to match up side to side IMO.
Here's another reminder of where we started.
So I removed the flare and did some of this.
then drilled a few holes to end up with this.
Then after a few test fits I got here. This was after I had trimmed about an inch from the front edge of the flare to line up with the fender.
I paid $25 for the complete set of flares, thus the condition. Even in their scratched up and extremely faded condition they were a huge step up from what was there before. They also came with clear marker lights (not pictured) which I don't care for but they will do for now. Since I was wanting to make it look as nice as possible, I picked up a can of plasti-dip to try out and it seems to have worked very well.
I had to let those dry for 4hrs so no finished pics tonight, but it should look great. I'll probably start on the rears next weekend.
Did some more work on the Jeep this weekend. My wife being a newer YJ owner is still used to all these fancy modern day amenities, like interior lights, and she felt her Jeep was lacking in this area. I had bought and installed a Rampage dome light a few months ago, and it basically sucked. It was better than nothing, but just barely.
So fast forward to last week. I picked up a small LED license tag light from the local parts store to install in place of the battery powered light we had in there. I've been running this same light under the dash in my Jeep for years so I knew what to expect from this one.
While I was at it, I decided to install the switch for the new lights in the spot where the factory radio went, which has been an open hole in the dash ever since we moved her radio to the console. This meant I finally had to build something to cover that hole. This is what I came up with to fill it. If she didn't have AC it would have been much easier, but I had to install and secure the plate all from the front w/ no access to the back of the plate.
The plate was a shim for a spring perch and already had the 3 holes. I can use the others in the future if we install other accessories.
So that side tracked me for Saturday. I also found some original interior floor lighting was in her Jeep (which didn't work), so I removed those and modded them to hold some old single round LEDs I had laying around. I wired all 3 lights to the switch I installed in the dash plate. It lights up the Jeep very well, and most importantly my wife approves.
Here's the dash plate installed.
Here is the modified original light that was under the dash on each side.
and the tag light mounted. It actually fit perfectly in the strap that came with the Rampage light.
Apparently I didn't feel the axle swap I'm working on for my own jeep was enough work. I was wandering the junkyard today not looking for an axle, but there were so many explorers I couldnt help but take a look. I wanted 4.10s and found a few. The only posi axle I found was 3.73. I went for a 4.10 from a Sport model. Got some work to do, and I need to find a stock 4cyl front axle to match.
Got some new seatbelts for the Jeep today. Ordered them from quadratech and they showed up just in time for valentines day. The original belts never looked great, but the real issue was when the driver's buckle stopped latching.