Wife's 93 YJ "build" - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Wife's 93 YJ "build"

Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com2" Lift Kits for JK, TJ, XJ, WJ~$125.00 w/free shippiGreat prices on seating!--Oconee Off-Road

Unread 01-22-2013, 06:39 PM   #16
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The Jeep came with a pair of the 6x9 boxes that mount around the base of the roll bar. For wiring I'm planning to use some wire loom and run it to the sides where there are existing tabs to hold some of the OE wiring. All that should be really visible when the seats are folded forward is 1 length of wire loom behind each seat frame running to the sides. From there it will be tucked under the door sill, at least that is the plan.

When we bought this they had a cheap powered sub in the floor behind the passenger seat, a cheap equalizer/amp in the console, a sound bar that I think was made for a TJ, some tweeters, the 6x9s, and the 4x6s in the dash. Along with all that they had about 50' of wire running all over the place with twisted and electrical taped connections. I wish I took a picture of all the wiring I pulled out of there. It was terrible.

Some more progress BTW. Pulled the CD player out of the dash so it can be installed in the console. More of the same shabby wiring behind the radio. They half adapted and half hacked the factory radio harness. Going to have my buddy check that out as well when he installs the radio.

I also realized that the rear shocks are toast driving it a bit yesterday. Very bouncy so I ordered a pair of rough country shocks to get it road worthy so I can continue teaching the wife to drive it. Can't have her cruising in an unsafe vehicle.

bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 09:58 PM   #17
alexladwig
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Liking this thread! I have a 90 myself and my story of it is very similar to yours!
alexladwig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 10:05 PM   #18
dkirkley
1999 XJ Cherokee 

It's always terrible when newbies try running their own stereo wiring. All they really care about is getting a sound system that plays music. I personally prefer a more professional look.

Running the wire look along the Other OE wiring is what I was doing too. But mounting the stereo in the middle console is always going to have some complications. The PO with my YJ tried rewiring practically everything to an alarm system and it's complete garbage.

Good luck though. Can't wait to see the results.
dkirkley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2013, 09:03 PM   #19
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Enjoying the build. Keep it up! I have a feeling I'll be building my wife a CJ down the road one day.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2013, 09:50 PM   #20
kgb_m3
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Good looking jeep and I like what you have done so far. My gf would love to get one! House comes first though... May I ask why bother making the CJ springs work rather than just getting a YJ set?
kgb_m3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2013, 10:02 PM   #21
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb_m3 View Post
Good looking jeep and I like what you have done so far. My gf would love to get one! House comes first though... May I ask why bother making the CJ springs work rather than just getting a YJ set?
$40 for shackles vs $200 for springs. Easy choice there. Nothing really wrong with CJ springs, they are just narrower.
Unread 01-26-2013, 01:57 AM   #22
kgb_m3
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredjeep View Post
$40 for shackles vs $200 for springs. Easy choice there. Nothing really wrong with CJ springs, they are just narrower.
Got ya, I guess I'm way to anal and would not be ok with that
kgb_m3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2013, 11:46 AM   #23
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Congrats on the new family member. Black is also good. Looks to have AC? Sorry to hear about having back surgery. Been there, done that.
Anywho, good luck on the build. Other than the minor cosmetics, looks to be a nice YJ.

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #24
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
Congrats on the new family member. Black is also good. Looks to have AC? Sorry to hear about having back surgery. Been there, done that.
Anywho, good luck on the build. Other than the minor cosmetics, looks to be a nice YJ.

WRM
Yep, I didn't expect AC for the price, but it is there and works.

I keep finding more odd little things the PO did. For example, I mentioned the shocks being bad. Got the new shocks I ordered and went to install them today and when I get under the Jeep I see the current shocks are mounted upside down. No wonder they didn't work. They were Rancho RS5000s and I thought about keeping them but I really hate the way 5000s ride so I swapped them. I also noticed one of the u-joint straps was made in Taiwan and the joint was wiggling in the yoke so I had to pick up a new strap from the dealer. All better now.
Unread 02-04-2013, 08:09 PM   #25
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I finally got the stereo installed today. About 2 weeks ago I pulled the CD player out and found the hacked up harness. Today my buddy installed the stereo in the Tuffy console and wired in a new harness for me. All solder connections and new wire. Nothing hack about it.

I really wish I took before pics of the radio install when we got the Jeep to compare with now. Just imagine ~50' of various types of wire running all around the floor boards behind the seats. Here is how it looks today.

My wife told me not too, but I ordered her some speakers for the back anyways.

It's funny because I'm getting to do all these things to her Jeep that I sort of skipped over in my own, mostly from lack of funds when I was near this stage. Also making sure to do things right in my old age vs. easy or fast like when I was young and dumb (no offense to those who are currently young and dumb). LOL
Unread 03-11-2013, 09:38 AM   #26
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Haven't really had any updates to speak of in a few weeks. I've got a few maintenance items I've been taking care of (bulbs out, replaced flasher, and other small stuff). Having an odd issue with the front turn signals where only the passenger side was working. Now neither of the front signals or dash indicators flash, but the rears work fine. I'll have to get a friend to check that out as I'm no good with tracing wiring issues.

I also ordered some exhaust parts for her. The current exhaust has a glasspack which actually doesn't sound terrible, but it has a big hole in the back of the muffler and we are getting more fumes inside than I like so it needed to be replaced. I ordered a TJ down pipe, a YJ tailpipe, and a welded body Dynomax muffler from RockAuto that I'll use to replace the current exhaust. Those parts should be here tomorrow and I'll get started on the swap after work later this week (hurray for the time change). I just need to pick up some clamps and a piece of pipe from the local parts store once I see how much I need to reach the muffler from the TJ pipe. Based on the youtube videos I've found it should sound good, and I'll be in it for about $180 all said and done.

The biggest news so far since I started this happened yesterday. After some driving lessons around the neighborhood over the last couple weekends, we hit the open road on Sunday. My wife did great (only stalled once). She has been so frustrated trying to learn and this weekend was the big breakthrough I think. She was nervous in traffic, but did awesome and she is finally feeling OK about having the manual in the Jeep. Thats good because it saves me a bunch of money installing an Automatic, and now she can drive my rock crawler when we hit the trails which will be interesting.

My view from the passenger seat.

I'll have pics of the exhaust install once I get started on that.
Unread 03-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #27
Wranglin4Life
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Everything looks great. I really like the console and the radio in it. Clean looking install. I have a similar console, made by Smittybuilt I believe... I will eventually get my stereo in there and it all wired up. For now the el cheapo radio is just in the dash. Havent even put the console in yet but these photos make me want to. Good looking jeep.
Wranglin4Life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2013, 06:41 PM   #28
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I replaced the exhaust today. It went pretty smoothly and everything bolted up without a hitch. Like I posted above, I installed a TJ exhaust pipe from the manifold. I was going to weld it all, but I don't have the right wire for my welder for such thin material so I clamped it. Everything fit pretty tight and no leaks that I can detect afterwards so we should be in good shape. I can always have it welded later if I see the need. I also wasn't sure about welding to the muffler as it is stainless.

Here is the muffler I pulled out. First, it's a glasspack which I hate, second, there is a big hole in the muffler, and third, the weld around the back of the muffler was cracked 1/2 way around (notice the black on the pipe just after the muffler). This old system was bent as well so we had to clearance the pipe for the longer shackles. No such issue with the new system.

And some shots after the install

Unread 05-28-2013, 12:22 PM   #29
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Small update on the Jeep. We got the hard top off this weekend and put it in the shed. I picked up a nice cover for the Jeep to keep the elements out while the top is off. We also started installing my old soft top hardware. We got the windshield header installed, and all the rails around the back, including the one I had bent pretty bad while it was on my Jeep. I think it will work fine, but we can replace it later if needed. I need to get some new screws for the door seals that mount to the side of the windshield, and my wife wants to clean the top, then we can get that install finished. Total cost there is just the $30 for the door seals as both of mine were broken (darn trees). We also need to disassemble my 1/2 doors to paint them black. It won't match, but will be closer than Red like they are now.

Also, the radiator has started leaking a little worse so we will be replacing that before it gets driven again. I knew it needed a radiator when we bought it so it's not a big deal.

Unread 06-02-2013, 09:01 AM   #30
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Did some more work on the Jeep yesterday. First I swapped the leaking radiator for a new one. I was hoping to get an all metal radiator but this is all I could find locally. Its got a warrantee so if it give us any issues she is covered. In the process of swapping the radiator I found most of the clips the radiator bolts to were broken. Just in case anyone else has the issue, I found Napa has all sizes of speed nuts available to replace them. I picked up a back of 8 for like $5. I've been dealing with broken clips on my YJ for years so this was good info for me.

While I worked on the radiator my wife was busy washing my old soft top, along with several others that same with the Jeep (bikini, duster, wind jammer, etc).

She was pretty busy

And I also stuck my old 1/2 doors on for the first time. These are getting spray painted black. I started the first one yesterday. Not worried about pro results since the whole Jeep will be getting painted eventually. We just don't want to look like UGA fans until that happens. I used my heat gun to remove the striping, then goo-gone and elbow grease to remove the 25yr old adhesive.

We installed the soft top to make sure everything fit and was still in good shape. Everything was good so once I finish painting the doors she will be ready to go and we can get serious about selling the hard top and doors.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.