Wife's 93 YJ "build" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Wife's 93 YJ "build"

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-16-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Wife's 93 YJ "build"

So my wife has wanted a Jeep since before we met. We've been together for over 12 years and married for almost 6. She drives a Liberty, but she wanted a "real Jeep". Well I've been laid up with back issues, and currently recovering from surgery so I had loads of free time. Last Monday I bought her a 93 YJ.

Current specs as we bought it:
5spd
2.5" lift (CJ7 lift springs)
33" ATs on black steel wheels
Tuffy console
CJ hard top and YJ full doors

The stock seats are fixed back and completely shot. Weatherstripping is all ruined, and it had some horrible tint. Also has badly trimmed stock flares.

This is where I'll document all the updates and improvements we do. I'll be helping, but its her Jeep so she will be making choices on what we do, and she will be working on it with me. This is not intended to be an offroad build. We have my Jeep for wheeling. This will be mostly street driven and maybe some mild wheeling once my wife gets used to driving stick.

Here is what we started with

bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 06:33 PM   #2
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

There are a few things we need to get started on right away. The tint on the Jeep was very dark, 1/2 the windshield was tinted (right through my eye line), and note in the pic above how they didn't bother to tint the entire window on the hard top. They stopped at the roll bar (awesome).

Since I'm still on very limited duty after back surgery and can't do any lifting, I decided to remove the crappy tint. Took an hour or so with the heat gun but it all removed very cleanly. Only a few spots with some residue we can clean up later.

Frankly I'm glad it had the horrible tint. If it looked this good before, I feel certain someone else would have bought it before I found it.

In the next installment we'll be addressing the seats. As you can see in the pic above, it had some wonderful flowery seat covers. Those were covering the stock fixed back seats that were completely shot. No padding left in the back, and at least 1 broken mount in the seat frame each as they wobble a bit. This Jeep has the fold and tumble risers on both sides so I expect a little extra work with the new seats.
Unread 12-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #3
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Good luck with you Jeep! Looks like you have a solid start
schaef89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 08:06 AM   #4
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

how do the CJ7 springs fit....aren't YJ springs/perches/hangers wider??
Orange Jeep Club #88

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
crackedcornish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 08:38 AM   #5
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Yep. The front CJ springs are 2". It looks like they tried to double up the side of the bushing in front but the stock shackles are still angled in a bit. I ordered some offset shackles from RuffStuff to run in the front that should address the issue there. I honestly haven't been able to get down and look at how the rear of the spring looks. If nothing else I can use a YJ bushing sleeve and some washers to center the spring properly.
Unread 12-17-2012, 09:09 PM   #6
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Got some parts in today. Shackles from RuffStuff and groundpounder both showed up. Had some sort of mixup at ruffstuff and got 1 of what I ordered and 3 of a longer shackle. No worries on that. Dan will handle it I'm sure, and its not like I can work on something like that yet anyways.

Here's what I got. I just need 3 more like the one pictured from RS. This is the 1/4" offset shackle to account for the CJ springs in front.

I also got some pics of the work we started this weekend on the new seats. I'll post pics of the actual seats later (I can't pick them up right now), once we get ready to install them.

Like I posted previously, this 93 has the fold and tumble risers on both sides (which I prefer) so I was expecting some small mods to get the seats mounted. We got the seats from a base model 99 Camaro at the local pull-a-part for $50. They are in pretty good shape, minor stains and some small tears, but worlds better than the original seats. We planned to throw some covers on anyways. We picked up some Pep-boys neoprene covers for now. I ran these years ago in my YJ and they work great for the money (cheap).

Here is a pic of the tabs I made to adapt the slider to the seats. 3/16" plate with holes 1.5" apart.

Also, I hadn't seen this mentioned in the other seat threads, but on these seats the distance across the seat between the sliders was 3/4" narrower than the stock Jeep seats. The risers were 14" wide, and these seats are 13.25" across. The easiest solution was to drill 2 news holes in each of the risers. Problem solved.

These are ready to install once my wife gets the inside of the Jeep cleaned to her liking (hopefully this weekend)
Unread 12-19-2012, 09:17 PM   #7
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Finished another small improvement today. We didn't have and keys for the hard doors so it went to a locksmith to have a key made for the doors. I didn't want it to match the ignition key since we may be selling the doors. We found that someone had changed the cylinder on the driver door to a later model but didn't change the components to match so the lock wasn't attached to the cylinder.

Rather than hunt down linkage for a later model door I ordered new Omix-Ada locks for both doors. Nothing really photo worthy but I got the new locks installed today and the linkage connected properly so now we can lock the jeep.

I also pulled the tuffy console so we can clean the tub and get everything back in over the Christmas holiday. I'm ready to teach my wife to drive this thing.
Unread 12-24-2012, 10:05 PM   #8
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

So this weekend we finally had some nice weather and were able to finish the seat install and some other items on the list.

We started the day by removing the top for easier access to clean the inside. We also needed to install a new windshield seal.

Amy got to work cleaning and I folded the windshield down to remove the seal.

Here is the before picture of how the tub looked. I might not stay clean, but my wife wanted it to start that way.

After removing the windshield gasket I found some rust on the bottom of the frame I needed to address so the windshield came off so I could remove any scale, and clean and paint the problem areas to stop the spread. Didn't remember to get any pics of the damage. Only 1 small hole. Cleaned and painted it all really good so hopefully it stops there.

new seal installed and ready

While I was messing with that my wife was busy and got the tub all cleaned up.

Once the cleaning was done we finished up the seat install. I already have the sliders done so all I needed to finish it was to bolt the sliders to the risers, and the risers to the floor. Piece of cake. Here is what the seats we got look like.

and after the install with the el-cheapo Pep-Boys neoprene covers. They aren't great, but they work well for the money.

The Tuffy console will be going back in soon. I need some new hardware that isn't so long it needs a stack of washers to fit like what I pulled out of it. I also need to get the radio out of the dash so I can install it in the console where it should be.
Unread 12-31-2012, 08:54 AM   #9
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

On to the shackles. I mentioned before that the Jeep came with CJ springs in front. The rear of the CJ springs use an extra wide bushing that fits ok in the stock spring hanger (stock CJ spring hangers are the same front and back). In the front the shackles were sitting at an angle. They tried to make up for the width by stacking extra bushings on the sides of the spring bushing but it didn't work..

To correct this I bought some offset shackles from RuffStuff. Since I didn't think it would look right to have beefy 3/8" thick shackles on the front and stock in the rear I picked up a pair of boomerangs from Groundpounder as well. I used all new hardware. The only diffuculty was that the tail pipe was in the way of the lower shackle bolt. A little heat and a hammer helped clearance the pipe so nothing hits.

On to the pics.. Here are the shackles (1 plate missing in the pic of course)

Before pics

And after

That is paint on the tailpipe. We didn't char it.

I got my wife to use some power tools as well. Snapped a pic while she cut one of the sleeves for the front shackle support.
Unread 01-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #10
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I'm just talking to myself here, but whatever. lol

Been slow going here for a few weeks with weather and other projects. Finally finished the doors. Had them all the way apart to replace the weatherstripping. Got full kits for both. We also picked up some new handles for the inside, and lower panels as the original ones were toast (driver's side was rotten and the passenger was only slightly better).

Here are the results.

and complete back on the Jeep

We also reinstalled the console after some cleaning and paint, and the windows were nasty so we cleaned those up. Anywhere that wasn't previously tinted had some gritty residue on it. I think the PO sprayed some cheap liner or paint or something inside w/o masking those surfaces. We used glass cleaner, simple green, paint thinner, and finally fingernail polish remover to get the stuff off the glass. It looks 100% better than before.
Unread 01-20-2013, 04:45 PM   #11
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Where did you get the kits for the full doors? What does the kit have in it? I've been in need of a drivers side crank forever.

Did you ever think of grabbing YJ front springs instead of getting those shackles?
schaef89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2013, 06:03 PM   #12
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

nice job on cleaning the interior of the tub...hard to tell from the pics, is it lined?

where did you get the stuff to refurb the doors? the seals in my doors are getting pretty bad
Orange Jeep Club #88

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
crackedcornish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2013, 06:14 PM   #13
dkirkley
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish
nice job on cleaning the interior of the tub...hard to tell from the pics, is it lined?

where did you get the stuff to refurb the doors? the seals in my doors are getting pretty bad
Zooming in on one of the pics... I see a "Rust Tough Enamel" can on the driver side. Might be that.
dkirkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2013, 10:28 PM   #14
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The tub isn't lined yet, or if it is its a super cheapo job. Planning to do one eventually. It was really grimey when we got it. Same story with the tuffy console. No idea how they got it like that. I never wash mine and its still not that gross. Lol

I did spray paint a few spots after she cleaned it up to stop some surface rust.

For the doors, I got the weather stripping kit from eBay. It was ~$100 for both doors which was a good price. The lower panels were also from eBay. Gives it a little different look than stock and I like it. The handles are rugged ridge. We didn't replace the crank handles yet but the passenger side knob came off so that it on the list. Lots of options out there. I might just replace the knob since I found those at the parts store today.

I forgot one other thing we did this weekend. I finally got rid of the cheap plastic cowl intake cover and put the OE style grill on. Looks much better. Hoping to talk to a friend tomorrow about installing the radio in the tuffy console. Going to use the current 4x6s and getting some new 6x9s for the boxes it came with. Should be plenty loud when we are done and no mess of wires running all over the jeep like when we got it.
Unread 01-20-2013, 10:34 PM   #15
dkirkley
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredjeep
The tub isn't lined yet, or if it is its a super cheapo job. Planning to do one eventually. It was really grimey when we got it. Same story with the tuffy console. No idea how they got it like that. I never wash mine and its still not that gross. Lol

I did spray paint a few spots after she cleaned it up to stop some surface rust.

For the doors, I got the weather stripping kit from eBay. It was ~$100 for both doors which was a good price. The lower panels were also from eBay. Gives it a little different look than stock and I like it. The handles are rugged ridge. We didn't replace the crank handles yet but the passenger side knob came off so that it on the list. Lots of options out there. I might just replace the knob since I found those at the parts store today.

I forgot one other thing we did this weekend. I finally got rid of the cheap plastic cowl intake cover and put the OE style grill on. Looks much better. Hoping to talk to a friend tomorrow about installing the radio in the tuffy console. Going to use the current 4x6s and getting some new 6x9s for the boxes it came with. Should be plenty loud when we are done and no mess of wires running all over the jeep like when we got it.
Where are you mounting the boxes and 6x9's? And how do you plan on running the wiring back to the stereo harness?

I've got a tuffy center with the deck installed and my 6x9's bolted in boxes on the rear wheel wells. I've never figured out a real clean way to run the wiring from back there. Then again I haven't really tried too hard either.
dkirkley is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.