The "Why did I buy this jeep" build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The "Why did I buy this jeep" build

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsPoison Spyder DeFender Inner Fender KitsCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 12-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #1
smb72
1974 CJ5 

The "Why did I buy this jeep" build

It was about 3 years ago when I wanted a new project to work on. I regret still to this day on selling my 69 Firebird. At the time when I did it, I had my dads 71 Chevelle SS. With only having a single car garage at our new house, one had to go. I sold the bird knowing the SS was the big dollar car. I finished up what needed to be done and it wasn't until I started putting the rear bumper and glass molding that I noticed that something was wrong. The ps quarter was not put on correctly. The bumper had no gap and the rear window chrome trim did not fit. Even the lower valance did not fit. At the time this going on, work was slow and I was to disgusted to even want to work on it. I just painted it which made it the much worse. So I put it up for sale and sold it. I ended up leaving the old muscle cars to buy a modern muscle car, a 97 Camaro SS. This is car is a beast. I still have it today which brings me to the CJ5. I wanted something to build, muscle cars where way to much for even a junker so I started looking at Jeeps. I kept my search local and looked at junk. The ones I looked at didn't even run or would be able to run. I ended up finding a 74 CJ5 that ran and was still together. I ended up bringing that rust bucket home and that's where it all began with us falling in love with Jeeps

smb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
smb72
1974 CJ5 

Here is a picture of what it looked like when I brought it home. It's more like 4 years not 3 years.
image.jpg  
Unread 12-07-2013, 04:33 AM   #3
smb72
1974 CJ5 

I didn't know anything about jeeps at the time when I brought the cj home. If I knew what I have learned now then I would have never got it. The 72-75 years are the odd balls with not much out there as far as parts wise. It wasn't until 76 that Jeep made a better product and with more choices in the aftermarket. This is where I should've done my homework and looked for a 76 and up CJ5 or better yet a CJ7.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.