Since this has turned into a full-blown project, I figured I might as well start a build thread to document the insanity.
I had a 92 YJ a couple of years ago that was a complete rust bucket. I bought it without really knowing much about a YJ and what to look for, like frame rot and such. I had some fun with it, but got rid of it after I got my 02 WJ. I had wanted another one ever since and I picked up this little 88 YJ as something to tinker around on, fix up along the way, and just have some fun. The body and frame are solid, it's a 4.2 auto that had factory a/c at one point in its life. I got a pretty good deal on it, or so I thought...
The day she arrived.
First time I had seen a 2-piece hard top. (Photo from the sale ad, not my barn)
First project was to add a Weber 38 and HEI ignition. This got me really looking at the wiring and that's where the fun began...
I have no idea what all had been done to this poor Jeep, but everything was covered in mud and dirt and grime. And it was about one short away from a full on fire. Whoever messed with the wiring should have their toolbox welded shut!
So I figured, while I'm there, I'll just clean up the wiring. That turned out to be a huge mess, so I went looking for a replacement engine harness. I found the Painless one and almost had a heart attack when I saw the price. $900 for some wires, those folks are crazy! So my next stroke of genius was to be a cheapskate, hit eBay up and pick up a good used harness. The harness was in pretty decent shape and I commenced to stripping out the ECM and ICM stuff, since I was going with the Weber and HEI. The harness was filthy, so I gave it a good scrub so I could bring it inside and go through it wire by wire and get rid of what I wouldn't need. While it was hanging in the sun to dry, I decided to install my new Hella E-code head lights and upgraded head light harness.
Not much difference in the outward appearance.
While I was there, I thought it would be a good time to replace the cowl seal that had also just arrived. I have a guy who wants to trade his family bar for my sport bar, if he can ever get the torx bolts out of his. Since I already had the roll bar loose, it should only take a second to swap the seal. Yeah, ok!
I like the old school look with the windshield down and the spreader bars out. I also replaced the double tube bumper with a Smittybilt combo and got the tire off the tailgate so it would close a little better. That was a whole other adventure!
When I pulled up the seal, I notice some rust on the top of the metal dash. I wasn’t about to put it back together with the rust there, especially since my last YJ was so rusted out. So, while I was there (see a pattern yet?), I thought I would clean it up and put some paint on it.
One thing led to another…
It was so nasty, I figured I might as well take it completely out so I can clean it properly and I wanted to replace the speakers any way.
Well that wiring in here is a disaster too, so now I have to fix that while I’m there. Then I sat down and thought to myself “Self, you’re an idiot for trying to cheap out. Buy the harness and be done”. Amazon, Quadratec, Rock Auto and UPS love me! The Painless (Painful on the wallet) harness will be here tomorrow.
So everything came out for a good scrub and paint. While it’s out, I’m replacing the heater core, upgrading the blower motor and will probably go ahead and put Monstaliner in the tub since I ripped out all of the nasty, mud soaked carpet in there.
So between work, going back to school, kids and finalizing a divorce, this should be a fun distraction. I love having a project to tinker on.