Where my Jeep TAKES me! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Where my Jeep TAKES me!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 03-06-2002, 11:41 PM   #1
Jeff Alu

Where my Jeep TAKES me!

Well, I'm a photographer and I do lots of shooting in the deserts of Southern CA. I have a 96 Grand Cherokee which I abuse quite a bit. It's missing the front bumper, I've had it trapped in the mud in a "Dry" lake. Took an 80 year old local, his tractor, and lots of chain (and about 6 hours) to pull me out. On another trip to the desert, I got TWO flat tires, within 10 mins., And I only had one spare!. Well, I'm sure this is nothing compared to some of the situations you' all have been in. But I love my Jeep to pieces!

Just wanted to show you some of the places my Jeep has taken me via my photos. You can check them out at:

Digital Gallery

Hope you enjoy them,

Jeff

Oh Yeah, here's my Jeep after we got it out of the "dry" lake. Had to rip off the bumper to hook up the chain:

Jeep1
Jeep2

Jeff Alu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2002, 07:00 AM   #2
01Sport
2002 WJ 

Wow, you are quite the photographer. Those pics are awesome. Wish I could do that.

Your Grand looks good with all that mud on it. Sounds like it was quite the job.

Keep on Jeepin!

Sold:
2001 TJ Sport :(
01Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2002, 11:51 AM   #3
Jeff Alu

Yeah, I love the mud on the outside, just not the inside! Although this was dry desert mud, it had been baked by the sun for years, and was very purified. It actually came out very easily, no smell, etc. Lucky me...
Unread 03-07-2002, 02:56 PM   #4
evilpsych

hahahhaah damn dude.. that's a lot of mud on the inside.. how'd you manage that? just tracked in on your feet?

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2002, 03:07 PM   #5
Jeff Alu

Well, it wasn't really tracked in, but pushed in. The mud was up to door level, and there was water coming in and thinning out the mud even more, which didn't help. A number of times the suction pulled my shoes right off when walking around my Jeep. I'm still hitting myself for not getting more photos of the event.
Unread 03-09-2002, 09:53 PM   #6
evilpsych

bahahhahhaa... next time.. dont drive in the puddle that you think is only inches deep.. ;-)

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2002, 02:29 PM   #7
Jeff Alu

Well, it didn't look at all like a puddle. The surface was dry looking, but there was mud underneath. I was doing about 40mph, when all of a suddon...
Unread 03-18-2002, 11:22 AM   #8
Ronnie Bravo

Awesome pics Jeff! Thanks for the "process" section, I'll have to do some playing around in photoshop now.
Ronnie Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2002, 07:59 PM   #9
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Wow! That was an interesting journey. Thanks.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2002, 09:51 PM   #10
OldJeepguy
1979 CJ7 

Was this "dry lake" near Borrego Springs? We almost lost a Jeep in the Borrego Sink...
Unread 03-19-2002, 01:36 AM   #11
Jeff Alu

The lake was Harper Dry Lake, just west of Barstow. Be careful if you ever venture out onto this one. Here's a pic:
http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.c...=1211&Z=11&W=2

You can see the damp (darker) areas as they looked in 1994. The really dark areas just above the circles along the edge of the lake are VERY muddy, and that's just below where I got stuck. Had to pull my Jeep out through one of those areas and it was quite a challenge...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.