alright...here is a basic run through of the SYE install:
a good quality set of snap ring pliers is a MUST, also rtv sealant, and a basic socket set, plus torque wrench, and i think 1 1/8th socket for the yokes.
i cut the boot on the driveshaft, and slit it off. Then took a hammer and screw driver to the outer seal:
After that, there is a snap ring seen below that will need to come off:
at this point you can remove all of the bolts holding the 2 case halfs together, and pry in two specific locations....there is an indent that is supposed to be used to help you open the case, but dont force it:
In the above pic, a snap ring goes on after oiler, then the speedo gear, then another snap ring.
once installed like this, its a good idea to tighten up all the bolts to proper 20-25 lbs/ft holding the case halfs together. i also like to pour a tiny bit of ATF on the main shaft, so its not dry on reinstall.
Then you are ready to install the outer housing (the cover that goes over the shaft sticking up), make sure to wet the seal before you install over the shaft....
Reinstall speedometer sensor, and the two yokes. These need to be torqued to around 150 ft/lbs. I like to put a big pipe wrench on the yoke against the ground, this holds it pretty well so you get really torque it down. This is final product.... give the RTV at least a few hours before filling up the transfercase:
Sorry if i forgot anything, but hopefully that helps some other guys out...its really not bad to do by yourself, except for the whole benchpressing it in and out of the vehicle part ha.
took a piece of tubing...made it an internal sleeve. if you look close, you can see i used a grinder to make a flat spot on the tube. this is so it will clear the weld seam on the driveshaft. (you can see a little bump if you look close)
This flat spot is also key to realigning both ends of the driveshaft...
At this point i tacked the sleeve to the driveshaft, so it wouldnt slide in any more...then i slid (hammered) the other end onto the sleeve...with the weld seams lined up on that flat spot i made.
Left enough room to weld it real good:
All welded up, and while it cooled, i installed my double adjustable RK upper arms in the rear. This is so i can point the pinion up towards the transfercase...now that it has an SYE installed.
Need to double check my pinion angle tomorrow, but its all together. Test drive tomorrow.
This will get my by til i have another XJ shaft retubed (professionally)...and will be a good trail spare.
Putting my tax return to good use...picked up a dynomax cat back exhaust, and magnaflow universal cat. I went with the universal because its 89 dollars, whereas the bolt in version is a few hundred bux.
The new cat is quite a bit slimmer, and lighter:
I need the clean the end of the pipe, but its fully installed:
muffler is just a hair smaller than stock one:
Here you can see ive gained some room under the skid:
I am very happy with this exhaust. At lower rpms, it is just a bit louder than stock, with a slightly deeper note. At highway speeds i dont notice it over the wind noise. And now i will be able to pass emissions, as my stock muffler had a hole in it. Everything clears great, it just required a bit of welding to get the universal cat to fit.
Now...the extra room will come in handy when i install this:
rokmen high clearance skid, this thing is beefy, all 1/4 inch steel: