Weekend TJ Interior Buildup (electronic mods) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Weekend TJ Interior Buildup (electronic mods)

The Retrofit Source / JW Speaker LED Headlight GROUP BUY!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300

Unread 01-15-2010, 10:56 PM   #1
EdsJunk

Weekend TJ Interior Buildup (electronic mods) UPDATE!

So after a long time of debating and finding a wrangler, i came across a 1998 2.5 with 90k miles for 3900. So i jumped on that! It had some bigger tires on it already, and I am more of a interior mod guys myself, so here is what has been done so far! feel free to ask any questions!

So I wanted all of my gadgets (ipod radio, CB, scanner, gps, inverter and such) to be all permanently installed and secure. So tuffy was the best option for me! and i love it! I got everything used on ebay quite cheap, more than half the cost of new. I also added some Hella 500 Lights to the front. So ill type what I have done and will add pics.

-CB Radio. I have a Cobra 29 with Bluetooth Speaker phone system. I definitly wanted to add this to the jeep. I wanted to install it into the tuffy center console radio spot. Well if any of you have tried to put the 29 radios in this center console.. it simply does not fit. Even with nothing plugged into it, it still sticks out about 2 inches from the top, eliminating the use of the lockable door. And after you put on the antenna cable, its about 4 inches out the top. Well long story short, I got it to fit. I had to pull the antenna, mic, power and speaker jacks to inside of the unit and plug them inside the CB. it still being to big, i cut about 2" off of the casing of the CB and maneuvered the circuit boards and such and got it to fit! I then used the bottom of the CB with the speaker, as a speaker box that fits after my center console under the dash (see pics) Looks like it was meant to be there!

-Scanner and Switch Box. I wanted both of these units in the tuffy overhead console. This was in fact very easy. both fit nicely and will have to say that console is by far the best I have bought. The switch box is something I custom made. It has 6 switches. One is a power over ride switch that lets you run all of the accessories along with the factory stereo without a key in the ignition. This helps alot if you want to shut off the engine (getting gas, ext) but do not want to turn off your electronics. All the other switches are also provided power when the wrangler is turned on. the other 5 are for my accessories. Each switch has 1 green and 1 red led under it. Red indicates it is off, green on. I also added a fuse box to the switch panel, so each switch/led set has its own fuse. The whole box has a quick disconnect as well. The scanner had no additional modifications to it.

GPS. I wanted a GPS in the wrangler, but did not want to use a suction mount as it would quickly get stolen. So I made a bracket that allowed me to screw the GPS to the dash frame. Its great and if someone was to try and steal it, they would only bend up the bracket or break the GPS.

Inverter. I mounted a small inverter under the passenger seat. It has a single outlet, but I added 2 outlets to the tuffy center console along with a green LED to tell me if it is on. The Red LED shows me that the Power Over Ride from the switch panel is on.

Garage Door Openers. I mounted in two garage door openers inside my dash board and have LED momentary switches on my dash to control them. The lights come on when the wrangler is on, and they have a Status LED light as well (blinks when you push the button).

Switch Box

CB. Cobra 29 in Tuffy Center Console

Power inverter outlets/CB Ext Speaker

Garage Door Openers

Last edited by EdsJunk; 01-23-2010 at 09:47 PM..
EdsJunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2010, 12:12 AM   #2
Hobojo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

That is nifty!

Very cool!

How do you like that overhead console?

I was debating on picking one up, but I heard it rattles enough to drive you crazy
Unread 01-16-2010, 09:26 AM   #3
EdsJunk

I love the console. It hasnt rattled much for me to notice yet... dont know what people are talking about? seems fine!
Unread 01-16-2010, 10:39 AM   #4
thetrashman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

that is BEAUTIFUL!
awesome job!

My Build Thread
thetrashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2010, 11:11 AM   #5
GroceryGetter01
2004 TJ Wrangler 

That looks great
Yellow Jeep Club Member #802
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC08JK View Post
Load up all the recovery gear!!!!
We're goin' to the "MALL"

-Jason
GroceryGetter01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2010, 09:45 PM   #6
EdsJunk

UPDATE!

I installed a new panel where the stock switches/ash trays were and added 3 switches and an atomic clock. I also added some Red LED ambient lighting.

So for the panel. The stock switches were not doing it for me, so I pulled the center dash out and cut out the ash tray. I then cut a piece of sheet metal to the same size as the opening and screwed it down. I then added 3 Switches (One for Fog Lights, The Ambient Lighting (see next paragraph) and the next for some fog lights i will be adding to light up the sides when the doors are open. I also added a atomic clock with inside and outside temp and modded the backlight to come on when the ignition is on and stay on.

Now for the ambient lighting. I was driving the wrangler a few nights ago and thought how i wish i could see the center console and floors without being to bright. So I came up with the LED idea. I had a total of 8 LEDs. 6 in the front and 2 in the back. I made some brackets form sheet metal i had left over and used stock screw holes in the jeep to mount them. They are real nice and are not to bright and are not distracting. They come on with the ignition and do have a cut off switch.

LEDs And the wiring is not as messy now

Unread 01-23-2010, 11:58 PM   #7
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Too many buttons and switches and lights going on for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj1974 View Post
your money will go farther in College Station.
rubidriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.