The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 95 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 06-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #1411
GoGetEmTurbo
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthompson View Post
This must have been your cube...

And to kinda keep things on track...as others have said, very informative, yet entertaining build. I'd love to be a part of the Wasteland Survival Clinic, but it'd be close to a 10 or 12 hour drive, although if it's at the right place with stuff around to keep the wife occupied, might be a nice vacation. Keep up the excellent work!
Yea....this kinda crosses the line or rather screams past it at 300mph. I'd just walk away and leave it. Though it might be fun to jump into it, kinda like a foam pit? I certainly would only do that if I wasn't going to have to clean it up. The s**t gets everywhere.

Back on track, I'm waiting to see how the Mysterious And Suspiciously-Named Girly Things Kit comes out. My wife has a serious aversion to Jeeps. More specifically, my Jeeps. It comes from years of breakdowns and expenditures on my daily driven Jeeps when money should have been directed towards other things. She loves to go wheeling, loves camping and loves the idea of Jeeps but says at heart she is a Chevy girl. I'm hoping the Mysterious And Suspiciously-Named Girly Things Kit may have some things in it that will make her like my Jeep a bit more. Even if it's only measurable with an electron microscope.

www.dirtjunk.com
GoGetEmTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2012, 05:47 PM   #1412
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthompson View Post
I'd love to be a part of the Wasteland Survival Clinic, but it'd be close to a 10 or 12 hour drive, although if it's at the right place with stuff around to keep the wife occupied, might be a nice vacation.
What, she doesn't like Jeeps? Do I need to write another helpful article on romance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGetEmTurbo View Post
My wife has a serious aversion to Jeeps. More specifically, my Jeeps. It comes from years of breakdowns and expenditures on my daily driven Jeeps when money should have been directed towards other things. She loves to go wheeling, loves camping and loves the idea of Jeeps but says at heart she is a Chevy girl. I'm hoping the Mysterious And Suspiciously-Named Girly Things Kit may have some things in it that will make her like my Jeep a bit more. Even if it's only measurable with an electron microscope.
Right...I need to get on-point with that article. It's really not about the kit itself, but rather, the perception of the effort required to assemble it. That's all most women want, you know...honest effort.

Updates coming later. For now...more beer and pizza.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2012, 05:48 PM   #1413
misterpookie
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Not a hijack at all...that's good information. I did happen to know that they're quite safe, but as you said - expensive. However, they're also a couple of years old and I don't mind a bit of metal hitting them every once in awhile.

What I don't want people to infer is that ANY pair of glasses is safe...some are very much NOT safe, in fact. Like you, I do all kinds of things with these and don't worry about the safety of my eyes...but I know that these particular frames/lenses can take it. I wouldn't chance any of these repairs/mods unless I knew that and had it in writing from the company. And that's exactly the case, here.

Good follow up. Thank you.
and in case it needs be said, good taste sir. i've been debating getting the wind-jackets for a while because of my propensity to leave my doors somewhere and the fact that they'll stay on my face even if my face is oriented incorrectly (like upside down) and being shaken violently.

always a good thing to look for in expensive sunglasses: staying power.

CRAWLEY'S STORY <3 (sort of a build thread)
FOR SALE: SOFT TOP WITH FRAME FROM A 99
misterpookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2012, 05:56 PM   #1414
bthompson
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What, she doesn't like Jeeps? Do I need to write another helpful article on romance?
She actually likes them quite well, but her version of a trail ride is on a relatively easy trail through the forest on a fall color tour. Much more than that and she'd rather stay home. Bouncing around on rocks and attempting to launch yourself off the top of sand dunes (of which I did the latter this past weekend ), not so much.
bthompson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2012, 06:29 PM   #1415
unholycowgod
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterpookie

and in case it needs be said, good taste sir. i've been debating getting the wind-jackets for a while because of my propensity to leave my doors somewhere and the fact that they'll stay on my face even if my face is oriented incorrectly (like upside down) and being shaken violently.

always a good thing to look for in expensive sunglasses: staying power.
I'm quite happy with my half jackets I've had for a while. I've never had a problem with them trying to blow or fall off my face; and that includes while parachuting.

The Army gave me a pair that cups your eyes similar to those wind jackets but I didn't like the feeling of how they pressed up against my face. That said, you make a solid point about the staying power and those certainly won't come off no matter what you're doing. Have you gotten to try them on anywhere yet? For me comfort is every bit as important as function.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/gas-overflow-fix-hose-problem-gm-hose-1419753/"]05-06 TJ/LJ gas puking problem fixed![/URL]
unholycowgod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2012, 06:33 PM   #1416
357transam
There's a better way....

1998 TJ Wrangler 

She loves to go wheeling, loves camping and loves the idea of Jeeps but says at heart she is a Chevy girl. I'm hoping the Mysterious And Suspiciously-Named Girly Things Kit may have some things in it that will make her like my Jeep a bit more. Even if it's only measurable with an electron microscope.[/QUOTE]

That and a 5.3 swap. Then the Jeep would have a Chevy heart.
357transam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2012, 06:38 PM   #1417
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Also: I'm calling an audible on the On-Board Air setup. Some of you are going to hate me for this, but a few of you just might be interested. While I'll keep working on the York compressors and will rebuild at least one of them for Anna's LJ, I think I'm going to take a slightly more elegant and sleeper-ish approach and rework my stock - read: totally useless at all times - compressor and use it for air duties. That was my original plan, but I couldn't see a good way of connecting to the compressor itself...but now I've found a painless method. So, that might be happening a lot sooner than anyone had planned.

Unread 06-22-2012, 06:52 PM   #1418
GunHo198
1994 YJ Wrangler 

While I see your vision, I think in time your going to want MORE. Nothing beats a York. And when in time you see Hers is Bigger than Yours, envy will set in and you will go York.

I use my York more than anything I've put on my Jeep. But with a YJ without A/C it was a simple task. And I know TJ's have a nice location for a 12 volt system. Time will tell.....
Unread 06-22-2012, 06:53 PM   #1419
357transam
There's a better way....

1998 TJ Wrangler 

As an interesting side note: I'm beginning to think we need to appoint someone to be Head Chronicler of the R.O.D. Obviously said person would be taking the most important parts of this thread and putting them on something more capable of surviving "The Event" (AKA the creation of the true Wasteland) than the always fickle internet. I'm thinking hardback and time capsule.
357transam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2012, 07:02 PM   #1420
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunHo198 View Post
While I see your vision, I think in time your going to want MORE. Nothing beats a York.
Except RPM's. Someone that just did the conversion over posted some numbers, and the air-up time from 14 to 30 PSI on a 35" tire is right at 70 seconds...at idle.

70 seconds isn't bad, although a York 210 could easily beat it. Two things are very much in my favor, though: the first is that a hand throttle to increase the compressor speed will offset any difference between the 7 and 10 CFM flow rates...and the second is that I don't run my tires at 30 PSI. I run them at 22 or 23...which means that I can air down to the 8 or 10 PSI range and still air them up in the same amount of time.

There's also a third point, and this is the one that originally sold me on the idea: instead of adding the weight and complexity of another accessory, I would be re-appropriating the workings and mass of an existent system that is not being used. So, while I know that the York being built for Anna's LJ is going to put out more air, I'm more than happy to go this route with Greta.

Besides, this way I don't spend the time installing a compressor system onto an engine that may not live a great deal longer under the hood...but the parts that I do install can easily be transferred over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357transam View Post
As an interesting side note: I'm beginning to think we need to appoint someone to be Head Chronicler of the R.O.D. Obviously said person would be taking the most important parts of this thread and putting them on something more capable of surviving "The Event" (AKA the creation of the true Wasteland) than the always fickle internet. I'm thinking hardback and time capsule.
That's sort of what we're doing with the website idea...but I like your thinking.

Unread 06-22-2012, 07:09 PM   #1421
GunHo198
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sometimes you just gotta say....

What would Sasha do?
Unread 06-22-2012, 07:10 PM   #1422
GoGetEmTurbo
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Right...I need to get on-point with that article. It's really not about the kit itself, but rather, the perception of the effort required to assemble it. That's all most women want, you know...honest effort.
This, my friend, is the key. I've been trying to get her a little more into it; asking her opinions on color choice if I do a paint job, offering to let her choose the color of the 5 point harness for the whole vehicle (to which she replied that she wanted her own special purple one and didn't care about the rest, haha), things like that but I'm still getting resistance. As time goes on and the budget relaxes, her outlook is slowly starting to closer to the positive side of the scale but every time some unforeseen thing happens to the Jeep that requires additional attention we have a slight back slide. With time and the Mysterious And Suspiciously-Named Girly Things Kit, I think we'll be alright! For fear of being banned from the holiest of holy threads...I shall not share the root of all the "anger" that is my wife...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357transam View Post
That and a 5.3 swap. Then the Jeep would have a Chevy heart.
You are more than likely correct, I guess my 5.2L isn't quite the same...

www.dirtjunk.com
GoGetEmTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2012, 07:28 PM   #1423
misterpookie
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunHo198 View Post

What would Sasha do?
short answer: just about anything.

CRAWLEY'S STORY <3 (sort of a build thread)
FOR SALE: SOFT TOP WITH FRAME FROM A 99
misterpookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2012, 07:42 PM   #1424
cycleguy04

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGetEmTurbo
For fear of being banned from the holiest of holy threads...I shall not share the root of all the "anger" that is my wife...
I feel your pain...

Sent from my own little world.

[COLOR="White"]'91 Ranger XLT 2WD - 4.0 V6, A4"hell"D, contemplating twin turbo 5.3[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]'79 C10 Big Ten 2WD - 350, TH350, contemplating rebuilding to 355ci with supercharger and programmable EFI[/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]'12 Subaru Forester (AKA: Arctic Cat) - 2.5, non-CVT, wife's, still begging her to let me get an exhaust system[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Blue"]'01 SV650 - snorkelectomy, ebay slip-on, cam swap and re-jet in the near future [/COLOR][/FONT]
cycleguy04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2012, 09:44 PM   #1425
cycleguy04

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunHo198

What would Sasha do?
Hmmm... Better yet, what CAN Sasha do? But I think we know the answer to that question...

Sent from the far reaches of space.

[COLOR="White"]'91 Ranger XLT 2WD - 4.0 V6, A4"hell"D, contemplating twin turbo 5.3[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]'79 C10 Big Ten 2WD - 350, TH350, contemplating rebuilding to 355ci with supercharger and programmable EFI[/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]'12 Subaru Forester (AKA: Arctic Cat) - 2.5, non-CVT, wife's, still begging her to let me get an exhaust system[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Blue"]'01 SV650 - snorkelectomy, ebay slip-on, cam swap and re-jet in the near future [/COLOR][/FONT]
cycleguy04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.