The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 03-24-2012, 06:57 PM   #106
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Hopefully, ARB will make good and send you a new shock.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2012, 07:18 PM   #107
Tobit
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Another excellent OME build. I can't wait to start mine, I am eager (and a tad nervous) to see how it sits with the slightly heavier 934 spring before I start loading up the front with bumper, winch, and armor.
Tobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #108
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobit View Post
Another excellent OME build. I can't wait to start mine, I am eager (and a tad nervous) to see how it sits with the slightly heavier 934 spring before I start loading up the front with bumper, winch, and armor.
Oh, it's far from over...

The question of how it sits isn't the issue...you'll have a bit more height, I'm sure, but my concern would be one of ride quality. I'm not sure whether or not that heavier spring will be more harsh than the 933's. I'm actually wanting to get a heavier bumper on mine and throw about 20mm of spacer in the front to level it out perfectly. That would soften the front suspension's ride considerably.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2012, 08:13 PM   #109
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Oh, it's far from over...

The question of how it sits isn't the issue...you'll have a bit more height, I'm sure, but my concern would be one of ride quality. I'm not sure whether or not that heavier spring will be more harsh than the 933's. I'm actually wanting to get a heavier bumper on mine and throw about 20mm of spacer in the front to level it out perfectly. That would soften the front suspension's ride considerably.
I've considered the same thing. I have a bit of a rake, and have considered adding a spacer to the front.

Unread 03-24-2012, 09:01 PM   #110
Tobit
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The question of how it sits isn't the issue...you'll have a bit more height, I'm sure, but my concern would be one of ride quality.
Yeah. Time will tell I guess. I will be putting the 934's in the front, which was recommended to me by Unlimited04. I wanted to avoid the rake some 933 users, Boring Bob being one, experience after adding a winch.
Unread 03-24-2012, 10:21 PM   #111
mediumdaddy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Never laughed so hard reading any build thread. I really appreciate your sense of humor - and love of Residen Evil And Fallout.
Utah Jeepcrew #63
mediumdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2012, 10:25 PM   #112
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah. Time will tell I guess. I will be putting the 934's in the front, which was recommended to me by Unlimited04. I wanted to avoid the rake some 933 users, Boring Bob being one, experience after adding a winch.
Hmmm, compromise? Even with the rake, I'm pretty happy with the ride quality. Isn't that what it's all about?

Unread 03-24-2012, 10:28 PM   #113
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome thread man. Very entertaining!
Unread 03-25-2012, 04:29 AM   #114
Tobit
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
Hmmm, compromise? Even with the rake, I'm pretty happy with the ride quality. Isn't that what it's all about?
Yup, and there is nothing wrong with a little rake I just don't like it from a visual perspective and yeah, I'm a bit picky like that. We'll see, I don't think the 934s will be extremely rough. I have the springs already so it'd be hard to change my mind now.

In any event, sorry Sundowner for the thread hijack. We need to get back to the Annabelle show.. oh wait, this is a Jeep build thread.
Unread 03-25-2012, 08:23 AM   #115
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yup, and there is nothing wrong with a little rake I just don't like it from a visual perspective and yeah, I'm a bit picky like that. We'll see, I don't think the 934s will be extremely rough. I have the springs already so it'd be hard to change my mind now.
I'm actually of the same mind, in both ways. The ride quality and performance is the most important aspect of it...but I want my Jeep looking a certain way as well. I'll be getting rid of the rake on mine. It's not severe - probably nothing the OME 10mm spacers wouldn't fix, one per side - but a front bumper and winch is going to push the nose down. I'll throw two 3/4" spacers in the top of the spring and be fine...

Quote:
In any event, sorry Sundowner for the thread hijack. We need to get back to the Annabelle show.. oh wait, this is a Jeep build thread.
...or will I? I'd prefer some discussion over these kind of things, and this is why there's no reason to apologize: it's not a hijack at all. Think of it this way: if you get those 934's installed before I get a bumper and winch combo on Greta's front end, I may elect to go with those springs instead of the spacers that I'd planned on using. That decision won't be made without seeing what other people are doing, so getting some commentary and feedback is vital and much appreciated.

We'll be back to The Annabelle Show in full force once the new hotness arrives from Savvy. Until then I'm going to work on a few smaller updates that are more Jeep-centric...

Centric...the brake upgrade has Centric rotors! Ha! I'M FUNNY.

...namely, getting ready to relocate the locker compressors.

Also, I'm thinking of doing two additional projects within the greater build thread: photo essays on my TJ-specific tool kit and spare parts load-out. These are every bit as vital to the build as the parts I needed to clear the 35" Falkens...and in some cases, much more so.

Unread 03-25-2012, 09:21 AM   #116
B52dude
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Your choice of words is perfect. Your grammatical errors are nonexistent. Your humor is tasteful.

While this may not be the most hardcore rig on JF, your build thread is my new favorite.

Thanks for the info and entertainment.

Red Jeep Club #614
B52dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2012, 09:57 AM   #117
BigDeaner
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Subscribed

1987 JEEP YJ LAREDO
4.2L,MC2100,TFI,NUTTERED
NP231,AX15,D30,D35
9,500LB WINCH,60"HI-LIFT
BigDeaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2012, 03:58 PM   #118
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B52dude View Post
While this may not be the most hardcore rig on JF, your build thread is my new favorite.
Greta won't be a typical "hardcore" rig at any point in time, I think. I'm not looking to create a rock-monster on 40's that can't be driven down the street, but I think I can give her a little bit of bite where she needs it. We'll see. Compliments are much appreciated.

Unread 03-25-2012, 06:45 PM   #119
ThomasYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

just read up on all the progress made in the last few days. Good stuff, great info and as always: an entertaining read.

Quote:
I hate to break the news to you, bro, but this particular model of female was only produced for one day back in '79, and they only made two of them.
Thought it might be worth mentioning that I wasn't chasing your specific VIN, I was just interested in the TJ blueprint it was created from, if you catch my drift. lol
ThomasYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2012, 06:50 PM   #120
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasYJ View Post
just read up on all the progress made in the last few days. Good stuff, great info and as always: an entertaining read.

Thought it might be worth mentioning that I wasn't chasing your specific VIN, I was just interested in the TJ blueprint it was created from, if you catch my drift. lol
And great pics too.

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.