The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 65 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-28-2012, 08:59 AM   #961
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
I havnt played a FPS on a computer since BF1942.

Sent by Paper Planes
*sigh* using a controller for an FPS is like trying to jump start your car with nipple clamps: simply not the right tool for the job.

CRAWLEY'S STORY <3 (sort of a build thread)
FOR SALE: SOFT TOP WITH FRAME FROM A 99
misterpookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2012, 09:22 AM   #962
CoRubicon
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterpookie View Post
*sigh* using a controller for an FPS is like trying to jump start your car with nipple clamps: simply not the right tool for the job.
CoRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #963
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Oh yeah? My 360 just up and f****** DIED. SO QUIT B*******, B******!

Today's Jeeping: I was at the gun show all weekend, so I didn't get anything done aside from a great re-prioritization of the build schedule, based around next year's Easter-ish pilgrimage to Mecca. And by "Mecca" I mean "Moab, Utah."
What's the plan for Moab shaping up to be?
dongalonga is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2012, 10:26 AM   #964
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterpookie View Post
never fear, I'm building a new box when i get home. build on that too

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2012, 12:05 PM   #965
tanksoldier
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by takirc02 View Post
Dual batteries for on board welding?
When I first read that I thought: "Dual batteries for a wedding? Kinky!"

Army Jeep Club Bumper # C34
Colorado Jeep Club Member #1970

[QUOTE=Hussler;12728204]
Helen Keller on LSD could drive a submarine in space better than this kid could steer his own thread[/QUOTE]
tanksoldier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2012, 03:41 PM   #966
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

i think you need to take this image to a vinyl printer and put this thing on your hood

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2012, 09:06 PM   #967
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
i think you need to take this image to a vinyl printer and put this thing on your hood
Oooh! Pretty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongalonga View Post
What's the plan for Moab shaping up to be?
Probably a quicker two/three day run out to Colorado, and them some time spent looking around there and Utah. A "wandering" path up through the back roads to Moab, a few days on-site at Jeep Central, and then a bit of sightseeing on an easy-paced trip back to the hacienda. We're scouting the area for a possible relocation, and I'm planning to burn up a LOT of film while I'm out there. "Go west, young man."

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2012, 10:05 PM   #968
45AUTO
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
"Go west, young man."
Best move I ever made!!

I suggest wandering through the Needles district of Canyonlands National Park. The joint canyon leading into Chesler Park (pretty easy hike) not too far from Devil's Kitchen campsites is a nice one. There's also the confluence overlook where the Green river merges with the Colorado (moderately strenuous hike). The best part is, you get to go over Elephant Hill to get to them both. I doubt Elephant Hill would scare you off (I've been wrong before ) but if hiking is not your thing, stop by Dead Horse Point. It's a state park that's on the way into the Island in the Sky district of Canyonlands. The Needles entrance is farther South but the Island in the Sky is just a bit North of town.

Arches National Park is also close by. If you don't mind hiking, I suggest making the hike out to Delicate Arch. The overlooks just don't do it justice. If you decide to make the hike, make sure you allow yourself and the Missus enough time to be out at the arch before sunset to set up. A photographer such as yourself would get some incredible sunset pictures. Double Arch is near a parking lot and is very easy to get to. It's not really a hike at all. You'll be able to get under both Double Arch and Delicate Arch if so inclined. They are massive. If you go into Arches "the back way" you'll run into all sorts of dinosaur tracks in the slickrock. Imagine tiny little dinosaurs running next to elephant size ones. Neat stuff!

Make sure to bring plenty of water!

P.S.- Top of the World trail has one helluva view! That's a decent trail that can be done (up, hang out for lunch and a few pictures, and down again) in a day.

Last edited by 45AUTO; 05-28-2012 at 10:53 PM..
45AUTO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2012, 11:37 PM   #969
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45AUTO View Post
Make sure to bring plenty of water!
Oh, never fear, my friend...I am a desert creature.

First one to identify the nerdy sci-fi reference gets an Official Republic of Dave Pre-War Bumper Sticker...whenever I get them made.

Unread 05-28-2012, 11:44 PM   #970
45AUTO
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
First one to identify the nerdy sci-fi reference[/I]
I know, I know. Oooh ohhh, Pick me!

What is "Children of Dune"?
45AUTO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2012, 12:44 AM   #971
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45AUTO View Post
What is "Children of Dune"?
I'll award partial credit for that...but it's not quite correct.

Unread 05-29-2012, 01:02 AM   #972
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'll award partial credit for that...but it's not quite correct.
Leto said it in "Dune" IIRC.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2012, 06:49 AM   #973
unholycowgod
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy02

Leto said it in "Dune" IIRC.
Yeah that's what I was thinking as well.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/gas-overflow-fix-hose-problem-gm-hose-1419753/"]05-06 TJ/LJ gas puking problem fixed![/URL]
unholycowgod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2012, 10:06 AM   #974
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

"And I am a desert creature. You see me, Father? I am a desert creature."
Who: Liet-Kynes
Source: Dune
Notes: Character notices that he is standing above a bubble of carbon dioxide that will eventually become a "blow" and engulf him. He thinks that is something that only desert creatures can sense, and while these are his last thoughts, they are a way of "speaking" to his dead father. He dies when he is swallowed by the blow.

Copied from http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Fiction..._in_literature. Was easier than getting super nerdy and relocating it for myself the hard way (plus I have work to do). Don't let those be your last words.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."
H. L. Mencken - US editor (1880 - 1956)

K.C.C.O. [url]www.thechive.com[/url]
hallsofstone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2012, 03:48 PM   #975
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallsofstone View Post
Who: Liet-Kynes
Source: Dune
Correct. Now, it's time to f*** up a good thread with more stupid Jeep-build tech...

A Few Slight Changes...

Things have been SLOW lately, mostly due to our non-existent cash flow. I mentioned earlier that we had a massive re-organization of the build priorities due to our already-seemingly-impending trip out west...but I didn't go into much detail about what's been shuffled about and planned, and the reasons behind the changes.

Time to fix that.

Realization: I always carry a small notebook around with me, and those notebooks are always filled with a plethora of random ideas, thoughts, diagrams and the like...a lot of them relating to Jeeps and to Greta's build plan. Over time these various notions either get dismissed, refined or distilled into solid concepts. When I sat down the other day to write a comprehensive list of what we were going to need in order to do some TJ-based adventuring...well, the proverbial red flags started going up.

One of my very favorite things to do is to browse about the web looking at various build threads, posts, forums and websites that can give me ideas for Greta's project list. The TJ Toolkit came out of this kind of activity; I kept seeing tool sets that were retard-bulky and I knew I would have to do better. My Repair Parts and Trail Gear set ideas/lists started this way too; likewise with the electrical bag, the small survival kit, and almost everything else that I've got in the works. Here and there I would see some truly innovative expedition rigs that got my mind working and turning in a Jeep-based direction, but one annoying little fact kept popping up: none of those innovative expedition rigs that I found were TJ's...they were all much bigger.

Clarification: I've mentioned before that every bit of space is precious in a TJ. I've also mentioned the fact that I was applying some ultralight backpacking thoughts to the project as a whole. What never truly occurred to me, though, was just how f****** little space there is in a Jeep that's headed into the Wasteland. I suppose that it never truly sunk in to my brain until this weekend, when we started to make a few gear purchases at the local REI. I was all excited about getting a couple of Therm-A-Rest self-inflating sleeping pads...and by that, I mean that I was excited until I saw that none of the full-sized pads could be packed down any smaller than a literal breadbox. Seeing the rolled-up pad in front of me started me wondering about exactly how much room our gear would really take up, and when I did a few mental calculations I got very, very concerned: we weren't going to have enough space...not by a long shot.

Explanation: Think about it this way...if you pull the rear seat you are left with a space that's roughly 35" by 35", and about 17" inches high. Into this space I have to put tools, all of the chosen repair parts and materials, all of the trail gear (recovery straps, tree straps, and everything except the jack) and any survival/emergency gear that I might need, and also a Jeep cover...and this is NOT INCLUDING ANYTHING FOR WHOMSOEVER IS IN THE JEEP. My best estimations are that I will lose over half of the rear cargo area just to carry the items I need to keep Greta going in almost any terrain imaginable...because that's my goal, yes? Yes.

My mental figuring left me with an estimated space that has a volume of approximately 10,000 cubic inches...which is about half of the area underneath the deck cover. 10,000 cubic inches is less than the volume of two large backpacks, and in that space I have to be able to carry all the food, clothes and supplies for two people for at least two weeks. Suddenly the true meaning of "limited space" crashed into me and I realized that I had to IMMEDIATELY start re-prioritizing my build plan.

Solution: I decided to create a refined list of parts and modifications that will have Greta very much ready to go in the quickest manner possible. They will maximize our "out there" time and comfort and eliminate the most likely "broken down on the trail" pitfalls, while strengthening the entire build, as a whole. Here's what I came up with, in rough order...

1. A full-sized spare tire. I had originally planned to go with a lighter ExoGate, but I may have to refine that concept depending on how cash flow looks for the next few months and also depending on what we're going to do about tailgate-area storage and function. I'm thinking hard on a swing-out tire carrier/bumper, because I may be able to get one reasonably cheaply.

2. A rear roll-bar-mounted cargo basket...probably the exceptionally-good unit from Poly Performance. If I can get this bolted in to the rear pillars it will give Greta a much greater carrying capacity. I believe that we can get a tent/shelter, sleeping bags/pads and clothing secured to this area. I'd like to see about fabbing a mount for the a Hi-Lift jack on the rear, and maybe a shotgun mount across the front. In addition to storage/mounting goodness, this basket/rack will also be able to remain in-place whether I'm running the deck cover or a full soft top. Party! Bonus!

3. The Savvy-fied version of Currie's CurrectLync tie rod and drag link. I seem to get into debates all the time over in the tech forum about what's required to run 35's. My usual rejoinder is "you need brakes and steering" and the usual response is someone saying "Whatever, man, you can totally run 35's on stock brakes and it'll be fine...I run 37's and I haven't crashed into anyone broken a tie rod yet, LOL! Stock brakes FTW!" Well, since this is my thread, I'd like to issue a general "F*** YOU, MALL-CRAWLER" to the people that cheap on out safety and thereby endanger themselves and others. I got Greta's brakes upgraded, but the steering HAS to be addressed as well. Currie's system is a no-brainer, and for about $45 extra dollars I can upgrade it with a solid, heat-treated tie rod from Savvy. I'd be stupid to try anything else.

4. Currie's heavy Johnny Joint track bars, front and rear. Same rationale as above...I'm stupid not to take the easy upgrade. A little frame drilling never hurt anyone, and I desperately need adjustable track bars. Even with the 2.5" OME springs, I have a touch of bump steer from the steering/drag link mis-alignment.

5. A bulkhead partition between the tub and cab areas that will help with gear retention. It's hard to store or carry anything in a box that's missing one of its sides...and that's pretty much what you have when you take the rear seat out of a TJ. There's nothing between the rear of the front seats and the tailgate, and things go careening about with little regard for anything but the immutable laws of motion (Thanks, Newton, you asshat). I had thought for awhile about welding in a partition similar to what's used for a half-cab conversion, but the more I think on it the more I consider a heavy cargo net that could be dropped/removed. If I make it this far with the mods before we head west, I'll pull the interior and shoot the entire tub with bedliner.

6. On-board water storage that feeds an on-board shower. This one will likely occur even if we miss a couple of the others...mostly because a hot shower is so choice on a cold morning or at the end of a long day. To do this I only need a water source, a pump and some lines...and a compact way to fab up a shower arrangement. My current plan is to use a standard hose connection to feed a small showerhead by way of a 1 GPM pump that pushes water through the unused ATF circuit of Greta's radiator. A valve will help to adjust water flow and - consequently - temperature. Since this is a water-to-coolant heat exchanger the water flow MUST remain constant, or there will be a dwell time for water in the radiator...that could lead to severe 200-degree scalding. If I cannot use the existing path, I'll probably use a fluid chiller that's piped into the heater core circuit, and do the same thing. For non-hose-equipped sites I'll need to either locate a small water tank or use some of the cool Rompalicious water bladders that hang on the rear upper pillars...which I'd like to have anyway.

Conclusion: We'll be in much better shape for travel, this way. I'm still playing with my compressor but I'm not going to expect it to be installed by the time we head out to Utah...likewise with the battery systems and the hundred other small things that I want to get done. Those would be nice but they won't help us actually get out and enjoy the Jeep until a much later time, simply as a factor of the funding that their installation requires. Naturally, all of this may change as life evolves around me, but for now this is where we're at. I'm still behind on serious updates but hopefully you guys are still hanging around and enjoying the tech debates and nonsense...because I sure as hell am.

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.