The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 62 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 05-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #916
wrngleryj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I am glad this thread took a turn toward an OBA system. The details in these write ups are very helpful for us noobs and the fact that the compressor can be scored from a junk yard offers a cheaper and, IMO, a more exciting way of building the set up. I've followed this thread for a while now and I must say this is the write up I've been praying for! Good work sundowner and +1 more vote for the website.

wrngleryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 11:54 AM   #917
unholycowgod
2005 TJ Wrangler 

unholycowgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #918
Eric2000TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'm with the two above. Us noobs are learing a lot. As for the website idea, maybe Anna could become a GoDaddy girl. Then you'd get a free site, be able to see Danica during the commercial shoots and have Greta featured in the commericals.
Eric2000TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 03:10 PM   #919
JeepinShep
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric2000TJ View Post
I'm with the two above. Us noobs are learing a lot. As for the website idea, maybe Anna could become a GoDaddy girl. Then you'd get a free site, be able to see Danica during the commercial shoots and have Greta featured in the commericals.
Wow. That was impressive. Great deal of planning and forethought went into that post. Win/win/win
2007 WK Limited, Red Rock Crystal, 3.0L CRD, QD-II. OME HD lift. 255x75x17s. Pinchweld mod. 1.5" Alloy hub-centric spacers. F/R Stillen rotors and pads. 4xG rear diff guard and belly armor. Tuned by Green Diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoch
...you never, ever, skimp on suspension and tires as they will save your *** when you do something stupid - and .. you *will* do something stupid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeansWings
Rock crawling is a whole 'nother animal. To me, the off-camber low rpm negotiation of lines provides a different type of adrenaline than plowing through mud. It's terrifying at times, but the pride of looking back at what you just climbed over is what is addictive.
JeepinShep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 04:00 PM   #920
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Even better than my half-door idea?
Yes, because a website won't cost me anything

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2012, 12:41 AM   #921
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Cool! And I do know the capability of a York, Im just the type of person that would rather it run a minute then shut off for a while. I have seen a tankless york set up in action and almost every air use made the compressor run, even if only for a split second. This setup in question was on a carbed engine and the guy had the foresight to wire in the AC throttle bump thingy (technical term) so it would bump the rpm when the york kicked on.
Anyway its all personal opinion and either way works.
However If you do decide on a tank you can look for a semi truck in a junk yard, semi trucks have several tanks of various sizes I used to have a small colection of air tanks from 1/2 gal to 5 gal. I think I have used most of them as bartering material but I know I have a 2.5 gal tank for my jeep.
I personally do not plan on an engine driven compressor. The 2.5L only has 120HP to begin with LOL. I will go for an electric I actually already have a slime branded compressor in the ABS tray but its only really good for emergancies. I have a train horn that will scare a heart attack into vintage persons and will have a dust blow down nozzle.
BLAH BLAH BLAH Insomnia.....
I was trying to get to a point, and that is, while doing your OBA system, a semi repair shop or parts store is a good place for supplies if you have one local. They are usually a cheaper sorce for air stuffs, because there is no bling factor to OBA in a semi.
May the farse be with you!
Unread 05-24-2012, 06:09 AM   #922
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty762 View Post
Sundowner, this is the best thread I have come across on JF and just wanted to say thank you for the breath of fresh air! You have my vote for an Annabelle gallery, you are a lucky man
My sincerest thanks for the compliments on both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal97TJ View Post
Not trying to hi-jack,but what about Annabelle`s LJ?
That'll have it's own thread when we start building it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrngleryj View Post
I am glad this thread took a turn toward an OBA system. The details in these write ups are very helpful for us noobs and the fact that the compressor can be scored from a junk yard offers a cheaper and, IMO, a more exciting way of building the set up. I've followed this thread for a while now and I must say this is the write up I've been praying for! Good work sundowner and +1 more vote for the website.
I'm glad you're enjoying it! And yes, the compressors are fun to play with...I've got one of them apart and have found a bit of corrosion inside, but I'm going to still rebuild it and see if it'll work. The other one seems in better shape, and turns a bit more freely...and since I'm not worried about finding one, now, I may just pull this first one totally apart to look at the bearings and everything else in it. For $25, it's a good investment and learning experience. Interesting note: they seem to have bronze heads.

I'm glad to see that people are interested in the website...I've never done one before, but then again I've also never done a build thread before, and this one seems to be doing alright.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2012, 06:17 AM   #923
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Build is coming along nicely. I think I'm in Chick-fil-a withdrawal. I haven't had it in a couple weeks. It's hard to beat a chicken biscuit in the morning with a sweet tea. Bliss indeed.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2012, 08:57 AM   #924
Shobes
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner
I'm glad you're enjoying it! And yes, the compressors are fun to play with...I've got one of them apart and have found a bit of corrosion inside, but I'm going to still rebuild it and see if it'll work. The other one seems in better shape, and turns a bit more freely...and since I'm not worried about finding one, now, I may just pull this first one totally apart to look at the bearings and everything else in it. For $25, it's a good investment and learning experience. Interesting note: they seem to have bronze heads..
I'm yet another first time poster to the thread (very entertaining by the way). I have a 2003 silver rubi and very similar suspension setup/ wish list as you (though admittedly OBA wasn't in the budget until seeing your latest salvage). Very much looking forward to the write up on both the OBA and the locker pump relocation!

On a side note (segway from locker pump relocation), not sure of you've settled on a Tummy tucker, though it's pricey I like the AEV but I am trying to get some information from them in regards to shifting linkages (if I am running stock linkage and a 1" body lift do I need to replace linkages...if so, is it just the tranny or do I need a new transfer case linkage as well)? New territory for me, I just want to have a plan before doing this as I will be doing the tummy tucker, body lift, cv rear drive shaft and some seal replacements all at the same time (no chik filet in Michigan but Jimmy Johns does nicely)!
Unread 05-24-2012, 09:28 AM   #925
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
Build is coming along nicely. I think I'm in Chick-fil-a withdrawal. I haven't had it in a couple weeks. It's hard to beat a chicken biscuit in the morning with a sweet tea. Bliss indeed.
I understand. I suggest you remedy this problem as soon as is inhumanly possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shobes View Post
...On a side note (segway from locker pump relocation), not sure of you've settled on a Tummy tucker, though it's pricey I like the AEV but I am trying to get some information from them in regards to shifting linkages (if I am running stock linkage and a 1" body lift do I need to replace linkages...if so, is it just the tranny or do I need a new transfer case linkage as well)? New territory for me, I just want to have a plan before doing this as I will be doing the tummy tucker, body lift, cv rear drive shaft and some seal replacements all at the same time (no chik filet in Michigan but Jimmy Johns does nicely)!
Welcome to The Mostly Unofficial Sasha Grey/Electric Mayhem Fan Club.

To answer your question...yes, I've settled on a tummy tuck: I'm going to build it myself. The TJ arguably has one of the easiest-to-fabricate skidplates in the entire off-road world...it's flat and features all of about a dozen easy-to-locate holes. The only difficult parts are the actual crossmember and transmission mount, but there are so many tutorials and builds on the subject that it's been rendered a great deal easier. This way I can get exactly what I want (flush to the bottom of the frame rails) and not pay a ridiculous amount for it...and I get to practice my design/fabrication skillz.

I can tell you right now that there's no real reason to call AEV about your shifter...mostly because you would be doing yourself a favor by going to a Novak cable shifter, regardless. When you do your body lift, you may or may not lose some functionality in the t-case linkage...mine actually works better for some reason, but your own mileage may vary. Were I in your position, I'd go ahead and drop the extra $150 on the upgraded shifter and cease worrying about it. If you have to save money for two or three more weeks...so what? Do it right, once. When I have my interior stuff out for some minor tub modifications and bedlining, I'm going to go ahead and handle the cable shifter at the same time.

Unread 05-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #926
tanksoldier
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I think I'm in Chick-fil-a withdrawal
Replaced the radiator in the TJ today.

Lunch inspired by this thread:

Officially a one-sammich job.

Quote:
I suppose it depends on how many people would be interested in seeing it.
You're kidding, right?

Army Jeep Club Bumper # C34
Colorado Jeep Club Member #1970

[QUOTE=Hussler;12728204]
Helen Keller on LSD could drive a submarine in space better than this kid could steer his own thread[/QUOTE]
tanksoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2012, 08:22 PM   #927
Shobes
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
...mostly because you would be doing yourself a favor by going to a Novak cable shifter, regardless. If you have to save money for two or three more weeks...so what? Do it right, once.
Amen! It has been placed on the official list.
Shobes is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2012, 09:35 AM   #928
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm glad to see that people are interested in the website...I've never done one before, but then again I've also never done a build thread before, and this one seems to be doing alright.
may the resident computer nerd make a suggestion?

for your hosting, you may wanna go with bluehost. good pricing, great uptime, ulimited storage and i *think* the same was true for bandwidth. they served me well in my time. when you sign up, you get a free domain to go with it, but frankly, i have had a better time with namecheap.com for domain registry.

or... if you have a respectable connection and a good firewall, you could always host yourself, but why bother?

CRAWLEY'S STORY <3 (sort of a build thread)
FOR SALE: SOFT TOP WITH FRAME FROM A 99
misterpookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2012, 10:07 AM   #929
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
You're kidding, right?
I never kid around. Seriously. I wouldn't lie to you about that.

In all honesty, I'm really not sure how I'm going to set up the website, yet. I'm making bubble maps in my spare time to try and come up with a good arrangement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterpookie View Post
may the resident computer nerd make a suggestion...
Pookie...I thought you'd left me for someone more interesting...

I wish I did have a respectable connection and firewall...but out here, Slightly North And A Bit To The Left Of Nowhere, we're lucky to have an internet connection at all. Good suggestions on the hosting, though...

Today's Jeeping: I've put a couple of hours into tearing down and lubricating/un-sticking one of the compressors, and I'm about ready to re-build it. I may hold off on that and start looking at the other one, though, so I can order all the parts at the same time. The on-board air write-up won't be coming for a while, yet, but I couldn't resist cracking into these things to see if I could get them working and looking pretty. I've got a rough parts list together, and so far the only problematic piece will be the adapter that connects a 3/4" male threaded A/C fitting to 1/2" NPT or flare. I can probably get one of the shops around here to build something that's small enough to work.

Today's Hint About Something Else That's In The Works: I ordered a 175-amp Anderson SB Connector...hehehe...

Oh, And About The Half-Doors: I've got a set of hinges that I'm going to start cleaning up, and over the weekend I'll be putting some thought towards template-making. I've refined the door concept about nine times, now, and I think I'm down to something that's pretty workable.

Unread 05-25-2012, 10:17 AM   #930
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

i'd never leave you. <3

no homo.

just figured i'd save my input for when i had something useful to contribute.

conversely, you may wanna go for one of those free wordpress sites or some such. personally, i find having hosting is nicer. especially if you plan to do more than one thing with it, and you can generate ad revenue if you give enough of a crap.

protip: you can also use hosting as impromptu "cloud storage", and "unlimited" is a good number.

CRAWLEY'S STORY <3 (sort of a build thread)
FOR SALE: SOFT TOP WITH FRAME FROM A 99
misterpookie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.