The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 03-22-2012, 09:31 PM   #76
ThomasYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

awesome thread man! Crawled it earlier today. writing style is definitely entertaining. very surprised on how clean it is underneath, the car wash comment cleared that up.

on a side note:
where did you find this woman?? I want the catalog you ordered her from..... LoL

ThomasYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 09:38 PM   #77
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasYJ View Post
awesome thread man! Crawled it earlier today. writing style is definitely entertaining. very surprised on how clean it is underneath, the car wash comment cleared that up.

on a side note:
where did you find this woman?? I want the catalog you ordered her from..... LoL
I hate to break the news to you, bro, but this particular model of female was only produced for one day back in '79, and they only made two of them.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 09:41 PM   #78
cycleguy04

She has a twin?!

[COLOR="White"]'91 Ranger XLT 2WD - 4.0 V6, A4"hell"D, contemplating twin turbo 5.3[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]'79 C10 Big Ten 2WD - 350, TH350, contemplating rebuilding to 355ci with supercharger and programmable EFI[/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]'12 Subaru Forester (AKA: Arctic Cat) - 2.5, non-CVT, wife's, still begging her to let me get an exhaust system[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Blue"]'01 SV650 - snorkelectomy, ebay slip-on, cam swap and re-jet in the near future [/COLOR][/FONT]
cycleguy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 09:45 PM   #79
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy04 View Post
she has a twin?!
Yep!

Unread 03-22-2012, 10:01 PM   #80
cycleguy04

Oh, yeah, forgot.

I'm married.

[COLOR="White"]'91 Ranger XLT 2WD - 4.0 V6, A4"hell"D, contemplating twin turbo 5.3[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]'79 C10 Big Ten 2WD - 350, TH350, contemplating rebuilding to 355ci with supercharger and programmable EFI[/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]'12 Subaru Forester (AKA: Arctic Cat) - 2.5, non-CVT, wife's, still begging her to let me get an exhaust system[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Blue"]'01 SV650 - snorkelectomy, ebay slip-on, cam swap and re-jet in the near future [/COLOR][/FONT]
cycleguy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 11:19 PM   #81
Waterswind
1999 WJ 

Lovely thread, looking forward to the rest of the build and I'm not gonna lie but.. I think the jeep is starting to outsexy Anna <_<
Unread 03-23-2012, 07:49 AM   #82
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Summary and Evaluations: Springs, shocks, mounts, lifts and 35's...

Springs

Swapping out springs is easy. I was a bit worried that it would be time-consuming, but after having put them all in and pulled them all out a few times it doesn't bother me in the least. This was a much easier job than I first assumed it to be. The biggest obstacles are nothing more than problematic fasteners...if all of the bolts come out the way they're supposed to, one will have little to no problem. Air tools help a lot in this regard...before I contemplated a suspension installation, I'd want to have a good compressor and impact wrench. A good torque wrench is also an absolute requirement.

Coil spring and link suspensions are both much more simple and much more complicated than they look. The simple aspects lie in the aforestated direct replacement of existing parts, but the complicated portions lie in understanding the movements and forces that those parts acts within. There's nothing that is incredibly hard to bolt on or modify, but understanding the "why" behind any given change in geometry can be more difficult than it may first appear. With that said, I'm thinking even harder about working on a true four-link for the rear...I've got enough tools to do the fabrication, so the only lacking portion is my knowledge. This, I can remedy.

Shocks

Shocks are supposed to be a potential horror story because of the upper bar pins, but I simply don't see the issue, here. It's nothing more than the matter of a hard-to-reach fastener, but any minimally-equipped shop is going to have the tools required to successfully extract these bolts. Like most times, penetrating oil and an impact are your best friends, and following the simple sequence of work that I outlined will make shock changes nothing special.

Having a softer, road-quality shock is crucial on a vehicle that's going to go...well, anywhere. Thus, it logically follows that any improvement that can be made to this shock's ability to function will be - pound-for-pound - one of the best modifications possible. To this end - and, after getting some experience with working around the shocks and seeing how they actually move - I am more convinced than ever that I need to move them outboard. Anyone considering this type of build would do well to consider this type of modification, as well.

Body Lift

This is the oft-mentioned one-banana job...however, it's also a two-gorilla job. Having a buddy to run a jack while you pull and replace parts makes this go much, much faster.

I don't see why Jeep didn't give the TJ a body lift from the factory. So many things are so much easier when you have that small extra bit of space. Crawling underneath, the clearances go from "eh..." to "oh, I've got bags of room, here!" To that end, I seriously don't understand why I see so many people that want to do a tummy tuck without a body lift: the body lift is just too easy and too convenient, and it doesn't even cost much! A tummy tuck without a body lift is going to have more time invested in clearancing the tub than in the installation of the lifted body mounts. To me, doing this is working against oneself.

Motor Mount Lift

I can understand why people shy away from these at times; changing them looks more involved than it actually is, in reality. But this one is an easy, vital necessity. To relocate the fan shroud, I would have needed a right-angle drill that would have cost me more than the $85 nukeproof motor mounts...and my fan shroud wouldn't have been in the right place, even then. Better driveline angle, better mount in general, easier time with the fan shroud...there's no reason not to do this. If you have the tools to do any of the other work that I've done thus far, a motor mount lift is easy.

One of the biggest benefits of a lifted motor mount is also one of the least-mentioned, and one of the most important for surviving in the wasteland: lifted motor mounts move your oil pan further away from the ground. A punctured oil pan can be a very difficult repair, so getting it away from danger is some of the best protection you can give yourself.

35" Tires

Tires are the single point of contact between your Jeep and the ground beneath it, so you have to be absolutely f****** honest with yourself when you select them. You also want the biggest tire that you can reliably and safely control...remember those two words: reliably and safely.

I wanted a more aggressive look to the tires I chose, but I didn't want to deal with a mud tire on the street. I don't go in mud. I don't even like mud. If I see mud, I drive away from it. I stay on pavement a LOT, and I stay on gravel and dirt paths more than any other type of off-road terrain. Because of these factors, an all-terrain was the correct choice, and the 35" Falken is a great selection. After testing and consultation with Falken, I keep this tire at 22 PSI and it does phenomenally well.

However, 35" tires come with a price, and it's not just in the parts I've mentioned thus far. They must be steered, and they must be stopped. The TJ's factory steering and brakes are NOT up to snuff in this regard. When you go to 35's, plan on upgrading your brakes and your steering linkage along with them. Trouble comes up fast in the wasteland...and sometimes, you can't just mash the gas and drive over it. Sometimes, you're going to have to go around it, or just come to a screeching halt. Keep that in mind.

Unread 03-23-2012, 07:52 AM   #83
nibblesupreme
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Am I the only one creeped out by all the comments about the OP's girl?

Awesome build man. I've been thinking about upgrading to the Vanco Big Break Kit myself, as my brakes just went out. I run 35"s also and have noticed a lack in stopping power. I just don't know if it's nessacary since I don't use mine as a DD.. although, I still need to get it to the trails too right?
nibblesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 08:23 AM   #84
imcfarland93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibblesupreme View Post

Awesome build man. I've been thinking about upgrading to the Vanco Big Break Kit myself, as my brakes just went out. I run 35"s also and have noticed a lack in stopping power. I just don't know if it's nessacary since I don't use mine as a DD.. although, I still need to get it to the trails too right?
Agreed. i would hope that people would be a little more respectful but in all honesty i love this thread. i just wish i had a TJ that way i could follow his instructions. but deff agreed on the creepy thing.

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ians-1993-jeep-wrangler-yj-sarah-1225169/[/url]
imcfarland93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 08:25 AM   #85
imcfarland93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I've also had a few close encounters with my 31's as well. having a drum brake in the rear and an emergency brake thats shotty at best (have to put it in gear if im on any kind of hill) i've been looking at the drum-to-disc conversion kits but idk that i'd trust them... comments?

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ians-1993-jeep-wrangler-yj-sarah-1225169/[/url]
imcfarland93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 08:39 AM   #86
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Wow, just a great thread. Great looking Jeep, funny, and informative with a clear build philosophy (different than direction or plan). Definitely subscribed.

And yes, congratulations on a beautiful and clearly awesome and ambitious wife, and to you for being able to laugh off the leg-humpers, ha ha.

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 08:55 AM   #87
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcfarland93 View Post
Agreed. i would hope that people would be a little more respectful ... but deff agreed on the creepy thing.
I haven't seen anything that's "creepy" as I define it. She's built like a pin-up and I wasn't exactly going out of my way to take un-flattering pictures of her. Respectful compliments and positive comments are not creepy and I encourage them, whether Jeep- or Annabelle-based.

Quote:
but in all honesty i love this thread. i just wish i had a TJ that way i could follow his instructions.
As far as not having a TJ is concerned: that's why so much of the information is general, and not by-the-book instructional. The same tips and techniques can be extrapolated to any other Jeep with similar features, even if the particulars are radically different.

Quote:
"Lack of stopping power" is an understatement in my case. I literally couldn't stop in time. That's an absence of stopping power. I also have fresh pads, fresh rotors, and new stock calipers on the front. I had a caliper seize up some months ago and shred a rotor in short order...so I got the rotors and pads then. I got it unstuck and re-greased, but it stuck again the other day and I said "the hell with this" and replaced both front units as a get-me-by measure. Fresh hardware on the front, and I still can't f****** stop.

To directly address your comment: I don't care if it's a daily driver or not...you need to be able to stop. If your brakes just went out then use this opportunity to get them fixed properly. I had to throw in a few stop-gap measures here and there to get me back up to factory spec, and those measures were completely inadequate when the 35's went on. I wasted money.

Let me put it another way by quoting my father's words on the subject: "Son, I know you can drive...I'm not worried about that. What bothers me is the way everyone else drives...and you can't predict what they're going to do."

Or, you can think on it the way I did at about midnight last night: what if Anna is driving? Would you want your wife or your girlfriend in the Jeep when someone pulls out in front of them? Would you want anyone else in it, knowing that the brakes are inadequate? I wouldn't. The more I thought on it, the more I realized how ridiculously unsafe and dangerous a situation I was creating, which is why...

UPDATE ALERT!

...I ordered the Savvy/Vanco 16" setup. It's shipping the first of the week and will - hopefully - be installed next weekend. And yes, I know that kit is backordered, but Blaine is awesomely helpful.

Unread 03-23-2012, 09:05 AM   #88
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I've also had a few close encounters with my 31's as well. having a drum brake in the rear and an emergency brake thats shotty at best (have to put it in gear if im on any kind of hill) i've been looking at the drum-to-disc conversion kits but idk that i'd trust them... comments?
The rear isn't the issue...it's the front you want to worry about. To that end, I'd suggest getting a top-end rotor and pad in the front. With 31's you're not so far above the stock tire size and mass as to create problems...the rotor diameter is not an issue, here. If you think your braking is marginal then I'd suggest you look into Black Magic's setup...here's the link to the pad/caliper/rotor combo that will fit your YJ:

http://shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/Jee...4258021-22.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlingForward View Post
Wow, just a great thread. Great looking Jeep, funny, and informative with a clear build philosophy (different than direction). Definitely subscribed.

And yes, congratulations on a beautiful and clearly awesome and ambitious wife, and to you for being able to laugh off the leg-humpers, ha ha.
Thank you!

Unread 03-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #89
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

And a hint at some future upgrades...today's leisure-time reading:

http://www.jeepaholics.com/tech/cog/#_Toc535118705

Unread 03-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #90
06UnlimtedDL
1987 MJ Comanche 

Just Awesome! Really enjoying the direction of this build!

-1991 XJ "creampuff", Bedliner, Tj Flares, Trimmed
-1987 MJ
06UnlimtedDL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.