The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 55 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 05-13-2012, 09:31 PM   #811
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by balzer View Post
Pass on the inline all together and go with a v8 in your prefered flavor...
All are very, very good suggestions...but all are also, unfortunately, not easily (if at all) permitted by the emissions laws in my particular corner of Paradise. If Greta was a trail-only rig I'd have a small V-8 in her in a heartbeat, but I drive her every day...and around here, even going to the 5.7 Hemi - a newer, cleaner Chrysler engine - can be a pain in the a**, legally. For that reason - and for the small amount of down-time the actual switch would take - a large-cube stroker is one of the best possible "go big or go home" solutions.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 09:43 PM   #812
GoGetEmTurbo
1996 ZJ 

I didn't think there was anywhere that was worse than Cali in regards to Smog. This place is ridiculous.

www.dirtjunk.com
GoGetEmTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 01:13 AM   #813
tdavid14
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Short-term, you can try anything from Autozone with the word "miracle" in it to slow the inevitable.
tdavid14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 07:20 AM   #814
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Boo on emissions! I would try it anyway and see if anyone even notices its not the stock engine LMFAO. But I dont have those rules to deal with.
Unread 05-14-2012, 07:43 AM   #815
Skeets682
2005 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge...p_yj_87-95.htm

Also pertains to the TJ....

Has me thinking about Grey Ghost II engine swap....
Retired AF
Skeets682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 09:25 AM   #816
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeets682 View Post
That is an excellent link...mostly because I happen to have not only a freshly-prepped 5.0 roller-cam block laying around and doing nothing with its life, but because I alsohave a complete, working, fuel injected 5.8 in a '94 Bronco. And I've thought more than once about trying to cram that second one under Greta's hood...but that's really hard to do when you call the emissions people and say "Okay, here's what I'm going to do...now, how do I title it and get it inspected?" and have them not be able to tell you. California may have more restrictive laws, but at least they're standardized and the enforcers are well-informed. Here, nobody has a f****** clue, and you're likely to get a swap done under the instructions of one person and have another determine that it's illegal and cannot pass inspection.

In any case, I'm going to give that link a thorough read. Thanks again!

Unread 05-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #817
GoGetEmTurbo
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
California may have more restrictive laws, but at least they're standardized and the enforcers are well-informed. Here, nobody has a f****** clue, and you're likely to get a swap done under the instructions of one person and have another determine that it's illegal and cannot pass inspection.
Initially, this surprised the heck out of me but now contemplating it for a few, makes complete sense. They want to control everything about it here, making a pretty hard line in the sand.

www.dirtjunk.com
GoGetEmTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 01:10 PM   #818
Mallanaga
TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
California may have more restrictive laws, but at least they're standardized and the enforcers are well-informed. Here, nobody has a f****** clue, and you're likely to get a swap done under the instructions of one person and have another determine that it's illegal and cannot pass inspection.
How is this possible? The engine creates emissions. Why does it matter what vehicle it's in? California has smog tests, which consist of someone slapping a big tube to your exhaust, and analyzing the parts per million of CO2. I've seen techs that don't even open the hood...

Sooooo... I'm a little confused about your concern...
Mallanaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 01:13 PM   #819
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallanaga View Post
How is this possible? The engine creates emissions. Why does it matter what vehicle it's in? California has smog tests, which consist of someone slapping a big tube to your exhaust, and analyzing the parts per million of CO2. I've seen techs that don't even open the hood...

Because it's against Federal law to put an older model engine into a vehicle. For instance, you can't put a '96 4.0 into a 99 or newer Jeep. You can use the block, but that's about it. (if you're following the rules) The '96 doesn't match the emissions that the 99+ design does.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #820
Skeets682
2005 TJ Wrangler 

From my understanding of "Engine swaps" as long as you put in a same model year or newerengine than the recepient body is then you are good per federal standards. I mean, a brand new Ecoboost V-6 is MUCH more efficient than a 2005 4.0L. It's a win/win. Also, there are companies out there that will make new wire harnesses for the swaps. All you do is supply the new engine harness and the old body harness. In theory, takes all the spark chasing out of the equation. (yeah right).

Also, I call dibs on the BD motor mounts if you do a swap!
Retired AF
Skeets682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #821
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallanaga View Post
Here we have counties that test emissions and counties that don't test emissions. We have exemptions for certain vehicles and certain years and certain modifications. We have Federal laws with which me must comply - such as the "older engine" law stated above - and also state laws...some of which seem to countermand the Federal stuff. If you're building a trail rig, then you're happy because all bets are off at that point...but when it's titled and registered for highway use, all kinds of retarded stuff gets involved. Believe me when I tell you that it isn't easy: the best suggestion that the DMV could give me was to attempt to title it as a one-off custom vehicle and then hope that my insurance would still cover it. So you and I are in the same boat...the concern is totally pointless, but the state can easily make it a huge hurdle because of ambiguities in the written laws and their subsequent enforcement.

Either way, it's a down-the-road project...unless Greta's engine kicks out suddenly. Then there's going to be a lot of profanity.

Quote:
From my understanding of "Engine swaps" as long as you put in a same model year or newerengine than the recepient body is then you are good per federal standards. I mean, a brand new Ecoboost V-6 is MUCH more efficient than a 2005 4.0L. It's a win/win. Also, there are companies out there that will make new wire harnesses for the swaps. All you do is supply the new engine harness and the old body harness. In theory, takes all the spark chasing out of the equation. (yeah right).
Yep, that's the Federal guideline. And we have some retarded state laws that render that otherwise-clean blanket statement totally useless...i.e. the engine must come from the same "category" of vehicle, and the replacement engine must have been available in vehicles of that "type" from the manufacturer...it's truly idiotic. I've called the DMV on it before and been told one time that a V-8 swap was fine as long as it met the emissions test for the original vehicle, only to be told when I next called that swapping in the engine wasn't allowed at all under state law. Neither seem to be true.

Quote:
Also, I call dibs on the BD motor mounts if you do a swap!
So noted.

Unread 05-14-2012, 02:20 PM   #822
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Them engines got year numbers on them. You remember your number and always run the ones that has your number. Any man forgets his number spends a night in the box. These here emissions regulations you keep with you. Any man loses his emissions regulations spends a night in the box. There's no hillbilly fixin' or booty fabbin' in the garage. You got a problem with your vehicle, you fix it Saturday afternoon. Any man hillbilly fixin' or booty fabbin' in the garage spends a night in the box. Annabelle tells you when you will get in your bunk. Annabelle has word #1. Any man not in his bunk at Anna's word spends a the night in the box. There is no smoking out the tailpipe in this state. To smoke out the tailpipe you must have a trail only rig. Any man caught smoking out the tailpipe on the road... spends a night in the box. You get two sammiches for most fixes. Every Saturday, you put the first sammich in your mouth... finish the fix... and the second sammich in the microwave then, in turn, in your mouth. Any man eats the second sammich cold spends a night in the box. No one'll sit in Anna's bunk with dirty pants on. Any man with dirty pants on sitting on Anna's bunk spends a night in the box. Any man don't wash out his empty beer glass spends a night in the box. Any man caught talking crap about Jeeps spends a night in the box. You got questions, you come to me. I'm hallsofstone, the thread jacker. I'm responsible for disorder in here. Any man keepin' order spends a night in...

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."
H. L. Mencken - US editor (1880 - 1956)

K.C.C.O. [url]www.thechive.com[/url]
hallsofstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #823
driggity
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallsofstone View Post
Them engines got year numbers on them. You remember your number and always run the ones that has your number. Any man forgets his number spends a night in the box. These here emissions regulations you keep with you. Any man loses his emissions regulations spends a night in the box. There's no hillbilly fixin' or booty fabbin' in the garage. You got a problem with your vehicle, you fix it Saturday afternoon. Any man hillbilly fixin' or booty fabbin' in the garage spends a night in the box. Annabelle tells you when you will get in your bunk. Annabelle has word #1. Any man not in his bunk at Anna's word spends a the night in the box. There is no smoking out the tailpipe in this state. To smoke out the tailpipe you must have a trail only rig. Any man caught smoking out the tailpipe on the road... spends a night in the box. You get two sammiches for most fixes. Every Saturday, you put the first sammich in your mouth... finish the fix... and the second sammich in the microwave then, in turn, in your mouth. Any man eats the second sammich cold spends a night in the box. No one'll sit in Anna's bunk with dirty pants on. Any man with dirty pants on sitting on Anna's bunk spends a night in the box. Any man don't wash out his empty beer glass spends a night in the box. Any man caught talking crap about Jeeps spends a night in the box. You got questions, you come to me. I'm hallsofstone, the thread jacker. I'm responsible for disorder in here. Any man keepin' order spends a night in...
Well played boss. Well played.
driggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 04:51 PM   #824
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 04:57 PM   #825
B2CARPEN
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm responsible for disorder in here. Any man keepin' order spends a night in...
.... the box??

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.