The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 536 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #8026 of 8099 Old 02-21-2015, 08:36 PM
cycleguy04

Your reference to motorcycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
I've never had any real desire for one.
Why not? They tend to relieve copious amounts of burnoutedness.

My Wasteland Survival Bike back in the day.

Shouldn't have sold it (TJ, also, for that matter).

Anyway. Thought I'd check in and see what you were up to.

This is the mess I've gotten myself into as of late. Along with a couple two wheeled variants.

'98 Wrangler Sahara - SOLD

'91 Ranger XLT 2WD - 4.0 V6, A4"hell"D, contemplating twin turbo 5.3

'79 C10 Big Ten 2WD - 350, TH350, contemplating rebuilding to 355ci with supercharger and programmable EFI

'12 Subaru Forester (AKA: Arctic Cat) - 2.5, non-CVT, wife's, still begging her to let me get an exhaust system

'01 SV650 - snorkelectomy, ebay slip-on, cam swap and re-jet in the near future
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8027 of 8099 Old 02-23-2015, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Sundowner
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty762 View Post
Gave up on my local surplus stores, bought one off Fleabay for $30. Should have it in a week, looking forward to adding this to my rig! I have a bunch of Aluminum around the house might cut some up and experiment, Maybe a couple of assorted bits welded up to use for placement under axles etc instead of that silly nub. Also want to figure out a way to use my DeWalt cordless Impact wrench.
An axle cradle is a must with this jack, even if you de-nub it. I'm working on the best and safest way to make a detachable cradle; there's a simple way to do it, but I don't exactly like it...so I'm thinking on it in the back of my mind (which is where I do my best thinking).

The impact wrench is easily employed: as I previously mentioned, you just slice the hook attachment off at the gearbox end of the screw and weld on a hex nut that matches your lugnut size. If you want a rapid-rise option you weld one on the other end of the screw and remove the 3.6:1 gear reduction from the equation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongalonga View Post
I am curious to see the outcome of this. I may have you fab me up one as well.
It'll be easy to mod several once I have the first one figured out...and I'm not far from having it figured out. The baseplates aren't as difficult as I thought; it's just a matter of locating a few holes and pins, and determining the best material to use for baseplates. A simple slot/pin can be used to hold a tow strap in one for use as a buried deadmad, methinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olysteve View Post
I have input on a couple of things,,,
About the impact gun, go the biggest voltage (dewalt) you can. I have a 12 volt old battery style that doesn't get used much anymore because it just doesn't have the oomph that the new versions have. It takes a while to wind up to it's full torque, booo!
DeWalt makes pretty good stuff...but after putting each through severe daily use for a few years I have to say that I prefer the Milwaukee 12v tools; they seem to hold up a bit better and they fit in my hand a bit better. Either would make a great on-board tool, though.

Quote:
I made the mistake of getting too short of a tree saver when I first really started wheeling, it only goes around trees that are too small to actually pull on. A good wide tow strap can be wound around a tree a few times to take up excess length if necessary too. I think my shortest one now is 20 feet and gets used the most, I have a 30 footer but it usually stays in the gear bag.
Going by the math and my estimations, a ten-footer can safely circle a 24" tree once or a 12" tree twice...and I wouldn't pull on anything less than a 12" tree. I'll probably get a 20' tree saver anyway, though, just because that's a good, practical length for larger trees and/or rocks.

Quote:
On the winch thing the harbor freight badlands winches work pretty well, the main difference I've seen in the other "off name" winches is pull speed. Some are painfully slow. The badlands winch is only marginally slower than my warn.
Just my 3.5 cents worth,,,
That's good to know because the biggest differences I've seen thus far have been in fit/finish and component quality; however, nothing is free in the Universe, so to get such a low price-point on the product a company has to cut corners somewhere and for the most part they can't do it with wages anymore. That's a good situation for all parties involved, but the point remains, nonetheless; something has to give...and on the "off-brand" offerings I'm always wondering what that "something" is. With all of that said...I'm still looking squarely at Warn; I just have a lot of faith in their product and build quality (at least the USA-sourced stuff).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy04 View Post
Your reference to motorcycle. Why not? They tend to relieve copious amounts of burnoutedness.
I've just never cared to own one; I know they're fun as hell but they just don't really appeal to me for reasons that I've never truly understood...and that goes for every type of motorcycle out there. It's probably a deficiency of character on my part, but at least I'm honest about it.

Quote:
My Wasteland Survival Bike back in the day. Shouldn't have sold it (TJ, also, for that matter).
That's pretty bad-***...and you're right: you shouldn't have sold the TJ.

Quote:
Anyway. Thought I'd check in and see what you were up to. This is the mess I've gotten myself into as of late. Along with a couple two wheeled variants.
I love a late model...especially when there's flat black involved, somewhere. Glad to see you around again; don't make it so long between visits, next time.

If it's worth doing, then it's worth overdoing.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8028 of 8099 Old 02-23-2015, 10:16 PM
Jrdchiropractic
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner
It's a real disease with support groups and everything!! I did have a lot of fun writing that, but Yesterday's Jeeping was really much more focused on finally making a bit of progress on getting my tools and trail gear sorted out; a thread on Jeep-Owner sort of kicked me back into focus on that project, so I started writing out some lists of... 1) Items/tools I've actually used ...like, every wrench I had in the TJ Toolkit, the hammer and the Sunny-D Special crowbar. 2) Items/tools I haven't had but could have used at the time...such as a collapsible bucket, a sand anchor and another 100 ft. of paracord. Don't ask. 3) Items/tools that I've had but haven't seen that much use...like that 17mm hex socket that's needed to get into the transmission and - amazingly - three quarts of oil. I also found that I'm seriously in need of several must-have items; I don't have a tree saver, a real snatch strap or - and this is because I haven't finished my bumper projects yet - any real recovery points. I also still need to do something about a winch, but that's not at the top of the list right now. I think I'll ditch the Hi-Lift jack; it's big and heavy and scary, and while a list of such normally-awesome ursine qualities is usually quite encouraging, when applied to a jack they're actually rather concerning.
Take a look at this:
- hi lift accessories:
Bmihydraulics.com
I also just picked up a jakjaw for my sliders. Looks like it will help. I agree it's a heavy, huge piece of impending doom, but in the wasteland...

(0|||||||0)

09 JK w/ a winch and duratracs
Just enough to get through most of the time,
get stuck sometimes, and still get home

post #8029 of 8099 Old 02-24-2015, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
Sundowner
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrdchiropractic View Post
Take a look at this:
- hi lift accessories:
Bmihydraulics.com
I also just picked up a jakjaw for my sliders. Looks like it will help. I agree it's a heavy, huge piece of impending doom, but in the wasteland...
Those are some innovative little widgets, and the bottle jack kit looks almost exactly like what I was envisioning for the H1 jack...but I have to say that I'm still terrified of a Hi-Lift. I think that stabilizing it is a good idea, but I'm more leery of it pitching forward than to either side. You make a good point though: in the Wasteland - although we have to be even more careful with ourselves than normal - we often have to improvise. And speaking of improvisation...

Knowledge Request: I'm going to pick up an expedition-style tent to carry us over until the trailer build is completed...and since that may take awhile I want something good. However, I'm finding that 99% of the tents out there are now made in China...and although there is some very good stuff that comes out of China - Chamonix cameras, Cantonese cuisine, Jet Li, tea picked by virgins - I don't trust their textiles and sewing skillz for a second. Even the OzTent is now made in China, and their F30 was high on my list of considerations. So...anyone have suggestions for non-outsourced-to-China tent manufacturers?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8030 of 8099 Old 02-24-2015, 08:17 AM
Melissas6570
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I am also terrified of a Hi-Lift. I picked up a bottle jack from a land rover.

I DO IT WITH MY TOP OFF!
post #8031 of 8099 Old 02-24-2015, 02:56 PM
84jeepcj7rock

I have done a lot of backpacking and had excellent experience with Kelty tents. Light weight, easy to put up and durable
post #8032 of 8099 Old 02-24-2015, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Sundowner
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84jeepcj7rock View Post
I have done a lot of backpacking and had excellent experience with Kelty tents. Light weight, easy to put up and durable
I used to love their tents (and packs) but - and this depresses me - they're on the "Made in China" list.

post #8033 of 8099 Old 02-26-2015, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Sundowner
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Pictured: Today's Jeeping.

As you can see, this whole "snow" thing is contagious; Muppet Labs is getting a taste of the stupidity that our friends in the Great White North have been dealing with for several months, now. Greta's worn-down Falken AT-01's are still doing fantastically well in the snow and slush, though...and even if I despise cold weather I do have to admit that this rash of frozen precipitation is exceptionally useful for the continuation of my long-term Instant Air Supply CO2 system test...and although the sudden 8" snowfall makes it a bit hard to discern, the picture immediately below shows my 10-lb. tank strapped in its cradle on Greta's hard deck.

Pictured: It hasn't been relieved of duty since last October.

I wasn't making a joke with that caption: when Nate sent this thing to me I warned him that I'd put it through the most neglectful paces that Muppet Labs has to offer...and because I wasn't being dishonest with him I've intentionally left it on Greta's hard deck since the OBX trip last year. I'll see how it performs when the snow melts, but after several thousand miles of rough-road transport and being exposed to sand, rain, sleet, ice, hail, wide temperature fluctuations, salt brine, sub-zero chilling and harsh vibration for a continuous 3,400 hours - and that calculation is accurate, thanks very much - I don't expect it to do much more than give me a serene look and ask when it gets to fill up another tire.

post #8034 of 8099 Old 02-26-2015, 08:41 PM
84jeepcj7rock

I love Pin Up art. My wife schedule a shoot w a photographer to take pics w my Jeep. She chickened out unfortunately.
post #8035 of 8099 Old 02-27-2015, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Sundowner
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84jeepcj7rock View Post
I love Pin Up art. My wife schedule a shoot w a photographer to take pics w my Jeep. She chickened out unfortunately.
That is decidedly unfortunate, yes...and what's even more unfortunate is that Our Man on Vulcan - The One and Only Leonard Nimoy - passed away earlier today. Muppet Labs will, of course, immediately get started on crafting a Genesis Device and finding an unused torpedo casing...and if anyone knows of a relatively lifeless and unused planetoid that's well outside of Klingon space, we'd appreciate you sending us the coordinates.

post #8036 of 8099 Old 02-27-2015, 01:18 PM
CEScuzzy
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
That is decidedly unfortunate, yes...and what's even more unfortunate is that Our Man on Vulcan - The One and Only Leonard Nimoy - passed away earlier today. Muppet Labs will, of course, immediately get started on crafting a Genesis Device and finding an unused torpedo casing...and if anyone knows of a relatively lifeless and unused planetoid that's well outside of Klingon space, we'd appreciate you sending us the coordinates.
It is a sad day indeed.

"Some Assembly Required" is a target, not a deterrent.
post #8037 of 8099 Old 02-27-2015, 02:44 PM
rusty762
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Having spent a good portion of my life in the wilderness I had several Sierra Design tents which were very well made, when my friend there help start Mountain Hardware I was lucky enough to be a Beta tester for their new designs and once they used tents were evaluated they were sent back to me to keep. At the time they were made in the US, not sure if that still holds true but excellent product that I still use today.

Have you seen the Kamp Rite product, they have some tent cots that are sturdy but they are heavy and most likely made in China..

http://kamprite.com/shop/holiday-lis...uble-tent-cot/

Bummer on Nimoy, a cool dude indeed and I am not one who tweets or facebooks but found a post online with his last tweet "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory."

Rusty

If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, Id spend six sharpening my axe.- Abraham Lincoln

Have you hugged a Firefighter today?
post #8038 of 8099 Old 03-01-2015, 12:55 AM
lildutchboy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

"Ah. Indeed Captain. It seems to me that you have not taken into account the intensely emotional aspect of your species. Should you wish to approach the object ahead with careful apprehension, I will be glad to offer you my input."

Thank you Leonard Nimoy. Not just for your clever and careful definition of the character, but for your grace and intelligence in the aftermath of Star Trek.

If only there were more humans like that Vulcan.

lildutchboy
Attached Thumbnails
Spock_performing_Vulcan_salute.jpg  
post #8039 of 8099 Old 03-02-2015, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Sundowner
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEScuzzy View Post
It is a sad day indeed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lildutchboy View Post
"Ah. Indeed Captain. It seems to me that you have not taken into account the intensely emotional aspect of your species. Should you wish to approach the object ahead with careful apprehension, I will be glad to offer you my input."

Thank you Leonard Nimoy. Not just for your clever and careful definition of the character, but for your grace and intelligence in the aftermath of Star Trek.

If only there were more humans like that Vulcan.
Quote:
Bummer on Nimoy, a cool dude indeed and I am not one who tweets or facebooks but found a post online with his last tweet "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory."
"He's not really dead...as long as we remember him." - Dr. Leonard H. McCoy

Quote:
Having spent a good portion of my life in the wilderness I had several Sierra Design tents which were very well made, when my friend there help start Mountain Hardware I was lucky enough to be a Beta tester for their new designs and once they used tents were evaluated they were sent back to me to keep. At the time they were made in the US, not sure if that still holds true but excellent product that I still use today.

Have you seen the Kamp Rite product, they have some tent cots that are sturdy but they are heavy and most likely made in China..
I love my old Clip Flashlight; it's a hell of a tent...but to the best of my knowledge both Sierra Designs and Mountain Hardware are Chinese-made, nowadays. At this point, the only "mainstream" manufacturers that I know of who build tents in the US are Nemo and Eureka...and that's because they have military contracts. There are several canvas tent suppliers as well, and since I was seriously considering an OzTent canvas doesn't bother me in the least. I wish we could get some of the Australian-production tents here; Black Wolf makes a really nice lightweight model. Also, for the record: my objection to Chinese or any other out-sourced production is strictly based in quality control, which is often unpredictable. When I see a product that's actually got good quality and consistent quality control I don't care what country it comes from...but that's often not the case in China.

post #8040 of 8099 Old 03-02-2015, 01:00 PM
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Pictured: Today's Jeeping.

As you can see, this whole "snow" thing is contagious; Muppet Labs is getting a taste of the stupidity that our friends in the Great White North have been dealing with for several months, now. Greta's worn-down Falken AT-01's are still doing fantastically well in the snow and slush, though...and even if I despise cold weather I do have to admit that this rash of frozen precipitation is exceptionally useful for the continuation of my long-term Instant Air Supply CO2 system test...and although the sudden 8" snowfall makes it a bit hard to discern, the picture immediately below shows my 10-lb. tank strapped in its cradle on Greta's hard deck.

Pictured: It hasn't been relieved of duty since last October.

I wasn't making a joke with that caption: when Nate sent this thing to me I warned him that I'd put it through the most neglectful paces that Muppet Labs has to offer...and because I wasn't being dishonest with him I've intentionally left it on Greta's hard deck since the OBX trip last year. I'll see how it performs when the snow melts, but after several thousand miles of rough-road transport and being exposed to sand, rain, sleet, ice, hail, wide temperature fluctuations, salt brine, sub-zero chilling and harsh vibration for a continuous 3,400 hours - and that calculation is accurate, thanks very much - I don't expect it to do much more than give me a serene look and ask when it gets to fill up another tire.

That's awesome man.

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/wasteland-survival-guide-engineering-greta-1344782/
Posted By For Type Date
glockforum | BoardReader This thread Refback 08-15-2012 10:17 AM
sears diehard batteries - forum communication | BoardReader This thread Refback 07-31-2012 08:50 AM