The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 53 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 05-10-2012, 11:00 PM   #781
JeepinAaron
2003 WJ 

I'm a LEO in Boone, and can't say I've ever had anyone cutting of the heads of parking meters. You must have been real bored. Rubitrux is a nice outfit, I bet they can set you up with the GR8top as well. (although that reply is 49 pages late) I bought my LJ from them.

Unread 05-11-2012, 08:34 AM   #782
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You've got one cool hand there, Sundowner...and a knack for keeping your head outside of the box.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."
H. L. Mencken - US editor (1880 - 1956)

K.C.C.O. [url]www.thechive.com[/url]
hallsofstone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2012, 08:38 AM   #783
4x4=life
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
They threw me out of Boone, way back when. I don't think I'm allowed back there, yet.

We'll be heading down to Uwharrie, for sure. I might have to get an official Republic of Dave Wasteland Trail Ride together.
Nice Sundowner I didnt catch where you were from NC. Im from Unicoi TN just over the hill from boone. Getting stationed in Charleston later this year maybe I will be able to make it to one of the wheelin events . Would love to see Greta in The Wasteland!
4x4=life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2012, 09:48 AM   #784
DarkMonohue
1985 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinAaron View Post
I'm a LEO in Boone, and can't say I've ever had anyone cutting of the heads of parking meters.
You'd have heard of this guy. Legend has it he can eat fifty eggs in a single sitting.
DarkMonohue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2012, 10:01 AM   #785
misterpookie
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMonohue View Post
You'd have heard of this guy. Legend has it he can eat fifty eggs in a single sitting.
i heard someone saw him drink an entire gallon of milk in one hour, and top it off by eating three pieces of bread in under a minute.

and he killed a man by using his beard as a garotte. stealthy.

CRAWLEY'S STORY <3 (sort of a build thread)
FOR SALE: SOFT TOP WITH FRAME FROM A 99
misterpookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2012, 10:15 AM   #786
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallsofstone View Post
You've got one cool hand there, Sundowner...and a knack for keeping your head outside of the box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMonohue View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterpookie View Post
i heard someone saw him drink an entire gallon of milk in one hour, and top it off by eating three pieces of bread in under a minute. and he killed a man by using his beard as a garotte. stealthy.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2012, 03:24 PM   #787
laduckslayer
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Hi Ho, Hi Ho; Hey Ho!!!

I've stumbled across digital gold!!

I now, like a few others possess the Swami's secrets.....

[SIZE="5"][COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"][FONT="Arial"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/06-rubi-lj-big-thunder-1348505/"]Big Thunder[/URL][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
laduckslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #788
jamcat77
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Just make sure you play nice with the Republic of Pineland... They don't play fair! Hahaha
Unread 05-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #789
unholycowgod
2005 TJ Wrangler 

^^^ Indeed the Pinelanders seem to change the rules just when you're finally figuring them out.

Sundowner, it's now my turn to say what everyone else has been saying: this is great thread man! The information, the just-past-acceptable levels of nerdiness, the beer and chicks, and of course - the beard, make this an epic build worth many laughs and even more "**** why didn't I think of that??"
unholycowgod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2012, 03:41 PM   #790
Skeets682
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Cuttin' the heads off parking meters...and creating a nuisance. Boone's a small town...there's not much to do in the evenings.
You mean it didn't have anyting to do with defiling the local virgin women from App U? Oh wait, I am sorry, there ARE no virgin women at APP U!
"What we have here, is a failure to cummmmuuuunicate."
"Luke, what's your dirt doing in Boss's hole?"
"I'm a shakin boss...I'm a shakin!"

those my dear friends are three of the greatest lines from any motion picture.
Retired AF
Skeets682 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2012, 04:41 PM   #791
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

The Saga of The Problematic Rear Shock...Concluded.

Well, it's finally over...ARB made good on their promise to get me a replacement shock and it showed up several days ago. I've been busy with all manner of other things, however, so I haven't had time to do anything other than shoot it with a coat of black paint and leave it hanging in the garage in an out-of-the-way space. Today brought pleasant weather and no new disasters or fires requiring immediate extinguishment, so I parked Greta outside the garage and decided to see if the Ultralight TJ Toolkit was up to the task of forcibly removing an Invisible Chipmunk from her rear suspension. I suppose I could just tell you, but we're all aware of the fact that I much prefer to go about things in a more obtuse way...all of us, that is, excerpting the slower members of the class. They still miss the stuffed chicken.

Pop Quiz: What tools are required to forcibly remove an Invisible Chipmunk from a TJ's rear suspension?

A: An adjustable wrench, the Knipex pliers, a ratchet, a 15mm socket and an 8"-long extension.
B: A 15mm wrench, a ratchet, a 13mm socket, an 18mm socket, and an 8"-long extension.
C: A leatherman, a sammich and Professor Charles Xavier. Wheelchair optional.
D: Richard Dean Anderson and some bailing wire.

Correct Answer: B. Why? Remember that the question asked what tools were needed...and since the upper shock bolts require a 13mm socket, Answer A is out. Answers C and D are incorrect because neither Professor X nor Richard Dean Anderson are tools; Cyclops is a tool. In any case, the use of the kit was a resounding success. The only thing we pulled from the garage was the torque wrench: there's still no way that I'd want to include it in a toolkit for trail repairs, but there's also no way that I'd avoid using one when it's close at hand. In matters suspensive, there's no excuse for failing to make sure that the fasteners are torqued to spec...and since Annabelle wanted to do some of the work I figured that there was no excuse for failing to use a camera.

Pictured: Best Invisible Chipmunk Eradication of All Time.

After we got the shock bolts torqued down we went for a blissfully-silent drive...a drive that was totally free of squeaks and chirps and Miscellaneous Annoying Noises. I intentionally drove over one of our worst local roads and through a couple of speedbump-covered parking lots just for the sheer pleasure of doing so and NOT sounding like I was being chased by angry rodents.

There was something a bit odd, though: we began to feel that the rear suspension was handling somewhat differently. If felt marginally more stable when we went over some bumpy corners and turns in the road: nothing earth-shattering, mind you...just enough of a difference to notice. My best explanation is that there is something more seriously wrong with the shock than we originally guessed...perhaps something inside the valving that is basically preventing it from effectively dampening vibration and impact. I'm not sure what it could be, but I'm halfway tempted to send it back to ARB and ask them to pull it apart and let me know what went wrong.

Or we'll just go all Muppet Labs on it and find out, ourselves...

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2012, 06:17 PM   #792
dwbrown
2014 JK Wrangler 

I would cut the shock apart myself.
Unread 05-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #793
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Cyclops is indeed a tool. He is the Luke Skywalker of XMen. Gambit and Wolverine are my personal favorites.

I appreciate the torque wrench comment. It made me feel included
Unread 05-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #794
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Nice that you have evicted the nurotic forest rodent. Cant say I would cut open a shock myself I guess it depends on the type of shock in question but either way Im sure any shock would make a mess.

Also, any mutant that requires technology to control his mutant powers is a tool and an accident waiting to happen. And unfourtunatly Richard Dean Anderson could not be bothered with something as trivial as a noisy shock, he only works under dire pressure, such as a daring escape. It would be nice if he could learn to do things to benifit daily civilian life, but alas, he lives a life of danger and excitment, few of us will ever experiance.
Unread 05-12-2012, 08:22 PM   #795
misterpookie
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Cyclops is a tool.
i have always felt this way and never understood why anyone ever thought that f****r was cool.

CRAWLEY'S STORY <3 (sort of a build thread)
FOR SALE: SOFT TOP WITH FRAME FROM A 99
misterpookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.