The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 50 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 05-08-2012, 05:52 AM   #736
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

http://www.amazon.com/MSR-11792-Pocket-Rocket-Stove/dp/B000A8C5QE

Unread 05-08-2012, 08:39 AM   #737
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongalonga View Post
You guys are getting ahead of me again.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2012, 09:53 AM   #738
Kenny1AZ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

A camping trailer is a whole new never ending fun project. Awning is hiding the roof top tent mounted on the trailer, up on supports to transport watercraft, lake river, pine trees.... Be prepared to enter the wasteland
img_9809-large-.jpg  
Kenny1AZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2012, 10:53 AM   #739
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Dad and I have used one of these to great effect touring Appalachia these last few years on our motorcycles. We even backpacked a portion of the AT with it. I'll offer my personal approval on this very model. We have used ours extensively without it breaking. It is lightweight, compact, durable, and short-bus easy to use.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."
H. L. Mencken - US editor (1880 - 1956)

K.C.C.O. [url]www.thechive.com[/url]
hallsofstone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #740
cycleguy04

I like those pocket rockets, but I have a MSR multifuel which I use white gas in. I learned that a huge benefit of carrying white gas is that it makes an excellent fire starter! The pocket rocket would make a good backup for the MSR and would run off the same canister as my little lantern. Can't wait to see your kit, Sundowner!

[COLOR="White"]'91 Ranger XLT 2WD - 4.0 V6, A4"hell"D, contemplating twin turbo 5.3[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]'79 C10 Big Ten 2WD - 350, TH350, contemplating rebuilding to 355ci with supercharger and programmable EFI[/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]'12 Subaru Forester (AKA: Arctic Cat) - 2.5, non-CVT, wife's, still begging her to let me get an exhaust system[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Blue"]'01 SV650 - snorkelectomy, ebay slip-on, cam swap and re-jet in the near future [/COLOR][/FONT]
cycleguy04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2012, 07:27 PM   #741
HONDOK9
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Jet Boil for me.
Unread 05-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #742
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
You guys are getting ahead of me again.
Just keeping things on track as usual
Unread 05-08-2012, 09:32 PM   #743
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Just keeping things on track as usual
Has anyone noticed the oddly-numerous similarities of interest among the disparate posters on this thread? We need to start some sort of Off-Road Croquet Club, or something...okay, that's me jacking my own thread, so I'm off for now. Time to work on a few Jeep projects.

Unread 05-08-2012, 09:54 PM   #744
tanksoldier
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
"Great Day Quick Draw Off-Road Vehicle Gun Rack"
There are several I've looked at. The problem is fining one that locks the gun in and conceals it, especially topless.

I'm probably going to go with something that mounts horizontally, tucked up under the edge of the back seat.

Army Jeep Club Bumper # C34
Colorado Jeep Club Member #1970

[QUOTE=Hussler;12728204]
Helen Keller on LSD could drive a submarine in space better than this kid could steer his own thread[/QUOTE]
tanksoldier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2012, 09:55 PM   #745
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Great minds think alike...so don't feeble ones
Unread 05-08-2012, 10:59 PM   #746
No4x4Yet
2000 XJ Cherokee 

More pics of that trailer!
No4x4Yet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2012, 04:54 AM   #747
misterpookie
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

There will be NO discussion of The Four Great Forbidden Topics in my thread, because they are the inevitable source of strife, discord, and petty arguing. Those topics are: politics, religion, baseball, and redheads. Everything else is fair game. Offenders will be sacked.*

* The Republic of Dave thanks you for your compliance.
um.... but... what if you *are* a redhead? are you allowed to post in the thread?

Quote:
Has anyone noticed the oddly-numerous similarities of interest among the disparate posters on this thread? We need to start some sort of Off-Road Croquet Club, or something...okay, that's me jacking my own thread, so I'm off for now.
Quote:

Speaking of Things That You Need: The Leatherman.

Pictured: +5 Bonus to "Escape Artist" checks.

"Hi, I'm Ricky Bobby, and if you don't chew Big Red, then F*** YOU."
- Ricky Bobby
and this tells me that we should start an off-road tabletop RPG club. drive out somewhere remote, don't forget your dice. D&D, pathfinder, exalted, whatever your flavor. i'll bring the mountain dew~

CRAWLEY'S STORY <3 (sort of a build thread)
FOR SALE: SOFT TOP WITH FRAME FROM A 99
misterpookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2012, 09:14 AM   #748
Mallanaga
TJ Wrangler 

Ha! Nerds... /snort
Mallanaga is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2012, 10:21 AM   #749
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterpookie View Post
um.... but... what if you *are* a redhead? are you allowed to post in the thread?
Ooooh...I didn't even think of that. However, I think that due to the lack of that problematic extra "X" chromosome you're exempt from those guidelines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterpookie View Post
and this tells me that we should start an off-road tabletop RPG club.
With enough Jeeps and light machine guns, we could probably pull off some live-action Shadowrun.

And Now For A Few Project Updates...

The Order of The Day is the organization and prioritization of plans and goals. I've got a LOT of things going on - not just with the Jeep - and I thought it might benefit everyone to get a brief status update. So, here's where a few projects are standing, right now.

The Problematic Rear Shock - ARB belatedly got around to getting me a replacement! It seemed fine when I unboxed it, so I went ahead and shot a coat of black paint on it and applied the requisite company logos. I think I'm going to do the replacement of the shock using nothing but the tools in the new Ultralight Toolkit, just to show everyone that it can be done.

Half Doors - I'm learning how to work with the resins and fabrics, right now, and refining the process that I'm going to use to form the door skeletons. This is definitely one of those projects that requires a LOT of research in advance, because prototyping and making errors is extremely expensive. I've got sources for all of the materials, and the only real "design" questions at this point are based around the latches and their associated housings. When I get those questions answered I'll be starting.

Compressors - I've got their locations and mounting solution figured out, but I'm doing a bit of research on how to re-wire them. My thought is that there's no better time than the present to perform a few locker switch mods...rather, there's no reason to modify that particular system again in a few weeks/months if I'm already in the process of working on it now. What I'm trying to do is figure out how to get a separate switch for each locker, and how to have them engage 1) separately, 2) in either high or low, and 3) only below 10 MPH. Oh, and I want to use factory switches, lest any of you think that this is an easy problem to solve.

The Trailer Conundrum - The picture of the trailer that's posted above demonstrates the main reasons behind my desire for one: massive gear storage, the potential for matching tires and a larger tire rotation, and a built-in "base camp" ability. It's a nice setup, but getting one built that I'll be pleased with is just out of my budget right now...so I'm working on a few alternate plans. I've got a comprehensive idea for Greta's cargo area that would give me better storage and function in the spaces that are already available. I certainly won't be able to carry as much as I could with a trailer, but that doesn't truly bother me.

Trail Gear, Emergency Gear and Repair Parts - Three further "kit" articles that are in their infancy right now, but that seem to be much-desired. I've started work on the "Emergency Gear" portion...and so far that's been a lot of fun because I've been trying various emergency ration bars. My favorite tastes like a huge butter cookie. I may keep working on this one, first, since "Emergency" is even less predictable and problematic than "trail repairs." My thought is that you take care of your worst problems first...even the ones that are merely potential.

That's all for now...another R&D day. I'll see if I can clutter the thread up with some more Jeep pictures soon. They might involve a track bar.

Unread 05-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #750
Skeets682
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Trail Gear, Emergency Gear and Repair Parts - Three further "kit" articles that are in their infancy right now, but that seem to be much-desired. I've started work on the "Emergency Gear" portion...and so far that's been a lot of fun because I've been trying various emergency ration bars. My favorite tastes like a huge butter cookie. I may keep working on this one, first, since "Emergency" is even less predictable and problematic than "trail repairs." My thought is that you take care of your worst problems first...even the ones that are merely potential.

Reverting back to my AF survival training, (yes it was a bit more than "I've got my AMEX and the address of the nearest Waffle House), My thoughts on Emergency Gear is, What can you put in a bag, and grab when the proverbial dookie impacts the rotating cooling device.

1. The WILL to survive.
2. 3 days worth of water
3. Emergency blanket
4. 50' of 550 cord
5. Bolt Knife
6. Pancho
7. 3 large size hefty bags
8. Rations for three days.
9.Basic first aid kit.

I still have this kit in my helmet bag. Makes a nice easy grab n go kit.
Retired AF
Skeets682 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.