The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 495 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 08-03-2014, 09:41 AM   #7411
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Today's Jeeping: The engine paint is ordered...and the final decision was Chevrolet Orange, as expected. I'm hesitant about how that's going to look - it's a LOT of orange - but hopefully the amount of black that's going over it will begin to offset the brightness and make the orange into a nice background/accent color. Aside from that, I'm going to work on laying out a few pieces for my camp kitchen box project and also see if I can figure out where the passenger-side leak into the floorboard is coming from...and I might even get back to work on my cabin air filter project.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2014, 09:00 PM   #7412
TheDoc25
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Best of luck with the job, hopefully your top price is their lowest one and you can meet someplace more profitable in your favour of course
TheDoc25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2014, 09:12 PM   #7413
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoc25 View Post
Best of luck with the job, hopefully your top price is their lowest one and you can meet someplace more profitable in your favour of course
I very much appreciate the well-wishing; thank you. The interview I had on Friday was a long one - two hours and a bit - and it was very positive...but I have the feeling that the salary I quoted - and I was being very reasonable with my numbers - is more than they want to pay by a rather sizable margin. I won't hear anything for at least a week, but after that...who knows? Maybe something good will come of it, one way or another.

Unread 08-04-2014, 06:08 PM   #7414
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Today's Jeeping: I got a shipping confirmation from POR, so the 6.0 should be getting prettied-up and reassembled in short order.

Unread 08-05-2014, 03:03 PM   #7415
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I will also recommend the Nissan over the BMW if for no other reason than maintenance/parts cost. German anything is stupid expensive.
dongalonga is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2014, 06:43 AM   #7416
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongalonga View Post
I will also recommend the Nissan over the BMW if for no other reason than maintenance/parts cost. German anything is stupid expensive.
You should see what it costs to repair a Leica; those little things make a BMW look downright cheap.

Today's Jeeping: The engine paint is supposed to show up, so that means I might be able to orange-ify the long block this weekend. I'm a bit confused about the instructions that insist the paint be brushed on, but I suppose that'll work...

Unread 08-07-2014, 09:44 AM   #7417
CEScuzzy
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
I'm a bit confused about the instructions that insist the paint be brushed on, but I suppose that'll work...
I've seen a POR 15 finish after it was brushed on and had dried; it's amazing how smooth that stuff gets. I think it could be sprayed on too, but the brush should do fine. I should be able to dig up a picture of what it looks like on a frame after it dries, if you like.

-Scuzz
Unread 08-07-2014, 11:39 PM   #7418
jbjorgen

1994 YJ Wrangler 

What CEScuzzy said.

I've never used their engine paint, but when I used POR-15 (topped with chassis coat black) on the bottom of my old WWII era trailer, it smoothed out as it dried, and dried pretty smooth. Then again, the bottom of the trailer was pitted with rust, so it's hard to know how smooth it will get.

Wear gloves and be careful. This stuff will not come off your skin for weeks. Or your clothes. Ever.
jbjorgen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2014, 10:09 AM   #7419
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEScuzzy View Post
I've seen a POR 15 finish after it was brushed on and had dried; it's amazing how smooth that stuff gets. I think it could be sprayed on too, but the brush should do fine. I should be able to dig up a picture of what it looks like on a frame after it dries, if you like.

-Scuzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjorgen View Post
What CEScuzzy said.

I've never used their engine paint, but when I used POR-15 (topped with chassis coat black) on the bottom of my old WWII era trailer, it smoothed out as it dried, and dried pretty smooth. Then again, the bottom of the trailer was pitted with rust, so it's hard to know how smooth it will get.

Wear gloves and be careful. This stuff will not come off your skin for weeks. Or your clothes. Ever.
Well, that's good to know...I was really worried about brush strokes showing in the finish, but evidently the engine enamel is exceptionally self-leveling. I'm not going to get the painting done this weekend as I'm going to be busy most of Saturday and Sunday, but hopefully I'll get it handled next weekend. Until then, I'm using my free time to work a little on my spare fuel/water can carrier designs; I'm really wanting to make something simple and strong that can carry two 20L cans as close to the tailgate metal as is possible, but physically fitting two cans between the tailgate latch and hinges isn't possible. So, I can carry either a single 20L can in the center or I can space the carrier out from the tailgate a bit and let it overlap the hinges; neither solution seems ideal.

Unread 08-08-2014, 10:50 AM   #7420
bthompson
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Well, that's good to know...I was really worried about brush strokes showing in the finish, but evidently the engine enamel is exceptionally self-leveling. I'm not going to get the painting done this weekend as I'm going to be busy most of Saturday and Sunday, but hopefully I'll get it handled next weekend. Until then, I'm using my free time to work a little on my spare fuel/water can carrier designs; I'm really wanting to make something simple and strong that can carry two 20L cans as close to the tailgate metal as is possible, but physically fitting two cans between the tailgate latch and hinges isn't possible. So, I can carry either a single 20L can in the center or I can space the carrier out from the tailgate a bit and let it overlap the hinges; neither solution seems ideal.
Have you looked into the Rotopax stuff? They have a ~15L (4 gallon) that is pretty thin. My plan is to add some of these to mine when I'm ready, but I'll probably do a 2 gallon gas and another pack, haven't decided whether to do water or a storage pack.
http://rotopax.com/4-Gallon-Gasoline.html

And after poking around their site for a bit, I found this as well:
http://rotopax.com/72-Hour-Preparedn...lon-Water.html
bthompson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2014, 11:08 AM   #7421
unholycowgod
2005 TJ Wrangler 

:rises from the dead, gets caught up on thread:

I'll throw my $0.02 in on the DD debate: a friend of mine back in Fayetteville had an E46 M3 and it was puuurtty. Like making sweet love to the road, but only after first making it your *****.
Also, I found this which has some useful info regarding the E36 and things to look for when purchasing one.
Best of luck on that job prospect. If they weren't cowed into submission by the Beard of Power then they probably have too high a constitution to survive working there anyways. Just a thought.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/gas-overflow-fix-hose-problem-gm-hose-1419753/"]05-06 TJ/LJ gas puking problem fixed![/URL]
unholycowgod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2014, 08:28 AM   #7422
357transam
There's a better way....

1998 TJ Wrangler 

That little write up unholycowgod posted is right on the money, except the comments on the SES lights coming on for no reason. You can also reset the service lights without the special tools by jumpering pins 20 and 7 (or something like that) in the 20 pin connector.
357transam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2014, 07:04 AM   #7423
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unholycowgod View Post
:rises from the dead, gets caught up on thread:

I'll throw my $0.02 in on the DD debate: a friend of mine back in Fayetteville had an E46 M3 and it was puuurtty. Like making sweet love to the road, but only after first making it your *****.
Also, I found this which has some useful info regarding the E36 and things to look for when purchasing one.
Best of luck on that job prospect. If they weren't cowed into submission by the Beard of Power then they probably have too high a constitution to survive working there anyways. Just a thought.
Well, look who's still alive...

That's a pretty useful link; thanks for posting it! In regards to the job...I should know something by the end of the week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357transam View Post
That little write up unholycowgod posted is right on the money, except the comments on the SES lights coming on for no reason. You can also reset the service lights without the special tools by jumpering pins 20 and 7 (or something like that) in the 20 pin connector.
It seems that there's a LOT of work that you can do at home, regarding a BMW; the more I look into the matter, the more I find that to be true. I didn't get any work done on Greta this weekend, but the engine painting is still slated to take place this coming Friday or Saturday.

Unread 08-11-2014, 12:20 PM   #7424
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

im sure im late on the d/d conversation...mine was and will be again soon(after some tube work and late model suspension of some sort) a 1972 2nd gen datsun 240z...ive done the l28 i-6 swap with tripple webers, the datsun truck 5 speed swap.. now it awaits a firewall forward tube frame and first gen infinity q-45 rear diff...as far as a bmw goes i always wanted a 2002 alpino version...but have never seen one i could afford that wasnt total junk already...

Shhhhhh I'm not crazy...It's just the voices in my head
freaknajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2014, 09:24 PM   #7425
357transam
There's a better way....

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Remind me soon and I will snap a pic of the-old-guy-at-work's collection. He has an E30 M3, a 2002, and a 2002 tii. Granted they are all vehicles he's owned for 20 years or longer.
357transam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.