The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 492 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 07-26-2014, 06:45 AM   #7366
jski701
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'll play...X19 ?? (For the 40yr old car)

This isn't a picture of mine but I had one, the same color, as my first car.

I'd be seriously blown away if this was anywhere near close to what you're looking at...

image-2277137405.jpg

jski701 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2014, 09:31 AM   #7367
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjorgen View Post

I remember the "secret" game! The junior high girls used to play it...
I'm not as good at it as they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jski701 View Post
I'll play...X19 ?? (For the 40yr old car)

This isn't a picture of mine but I had one, the same color, as my first car.

I'd be seriously blown away if this was anywhere near close to what you're looking at...
You're shockingly close; you even got two of the numbers correct. [thumbsup]

In unrelated and secretive news: I'll be posting pictures later, and they'll show one of the most interesting packages that's ever arrived in the Muppet Labs mailroom...

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2014, 07:40 PM   #7368
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

First of all, a major portion of Today's Jeeping involved Greta getting a couple of hours of clay-barring, a thorough wash, some much-needed waxing and then a quick detailing.

Pictured: The results were well worth the effort.

Greta getting a mall-worthy clean-up was not the interesting part of Today's Jeeping, however; the interesting part came about when I opened a package that randomly showed up in the mailroom at Muppet Labs...and after going through it I have to admit that this is one of the more entertaining parcels that I've had the pleasure of opening, lately. The following picture shows what was concealed within.

Pictured: Excerpting the gnome and toaster, of course; we already had those.

Inside the box there was a bottle of hot sauce, a potentially-explosive seasoning mix, an engraving of a Vault-Tec mascot and a Mysterious Note...and although that's a pleasantly-random mix of items any way you cut it the real entertainment came about when I read the Mysterious Note. For those of you that may not be able to read the text of that Note, I've magnanimously reproduced it here; you can thank me later.

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN

Included in this Vault-Tec care package are several items of potential interest. Please take inventory of items upon recieval of care package, and ensure proper item retrieval.

Item 1. One bottle of Louisiana Hot Sauce. Applied liberally to meats (especially chicken) prior to cooking, it adds a little punch to any meal! But remember, the longer the soak, the BIGGER the burn!

Item 2. One bottle of Head Country Seasoning. Produced in partnership with Blamco Foods, this seasoning works well to season meats, particularly if cooking over an open flame. Be careful though, if properly atomized, it can lead to flash explosions.

Item 3. One Vault-Tec Token. Present this limited edition token to any Vault-Tec representative, and receive a free Vault-Tec lunch box! This is our way of saying Thank You for participating in the building of Vault 108.

Thank you for your time!
- The Vault-Tec Team

P.S. We have reviewed your request, and at this time we must deny your request for entry into Vault 108.

To explain the rationale behind this package I have to make a guess...and my guess is that this package is the result of what happens when someone sends me "something interesting" in exchange for some official R.O.D. swag.* So, with that explanation out of the way: thank you, Chris...you made the Wasteland far more interesting than I had expected it to be, today.**

*- Annabelle wants you to PM her about shirts, by the way.
**- I think there's something seriously wrong with you.

Unread 07-26-2014, 08:49 PM   #7369
LA-Sahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

But I didn't send it?...

That hot sauce is my favorite though, not really that spicy (still a good kick) but has a GREAT flavor to it. We usually baste buffalo wings with it and grill them.
LA-Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2014, 09:59 PM   #7370
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-Sahara View Post
But I didn't send it?...

That hot sauce is my favorite though, not really that spicy (still a good kick) but has a GREAT flavor to it. We usually baste buffalo wings with it and grill them.
There's more than one Chris.

Unread 07-26-2014, 10:09 PM   #7371
BadJohnny
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'll give it a shot.

Hmmm 40 years old.... Porsche 912?
1967-porsche-912-coupa-3.jpg  
BadJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2014, 10:21 PM   #7372
LA-Sahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
There's more than one Chris.
That hot sauce is also great in gumbo.
LA-Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2014, 12:27 PM   #7373
357transam
There's a better way....

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Glad you received it safe and sound.
357transam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2014, 12:39 PM   #7374
CEScuzzy
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Pictured: The results were well worth the effort.

Without a doubt, Greta is one of the best looking Jeeps on the interwebz. And the flaw just makes her that much more real!...

In all seriousness, that chrome-cap lugnut business is just annoying, I hate it when the caps come off. I pre-empted mine and replaced them all before they could become a problem.

-Scuzz
Unread 07-27-2014, 02:33 PM   #7375
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Racer

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Love that shine . You can tell the labor went into it.
REDLYNER is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2014, 03:54 PM   #7376
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJohnny View Post
I'll give it a shot.

Hmmm 40 years old.... Porsche 912?
You, sir, also got two of the numbers correct...but a 912 is WAY too pretty for me; that's why I like the 904 and 550 Hardtops so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-Sahara View Post
That hot sauce is also great in gumbo.
I'll give that a shot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357transam View Post
Glad you received it safe and sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEScuzzy View Post
Without a doubt, Greta is one of the best looking Jeeps on the interwebz. And the flaw just makes her that much more real!...
I do appreciate the compliment...but you missed the more obviously-missing pieces...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEScuzzy View Post
In all seriousness, that chrome-cap lugnut business is just annoying, I hate it when the caps come off. I pre-empted mine and replaced them all before they could become a problem.
I despise the lugnut covers; I want to get them replaced entirely but I just haven't gotten around to ordering a set of decent ones, yet. I need to put that higher up on my priority list; maybe after I get the engine paint and what-not ordered I'll invest in the lugnuts. That's all depending on employment, of course...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLYNER View Post
Love that shine . You can tell the labor went into it.
That was several hours with a clay bar, and her paint seriously needed the attention...and when I say that, I actually mean "I threw the clay bar away when we were done." It had gone from pink to a greyish-orange hue; the iron-heavy dust around here plays merry hell with light-colored paint, as I'm sure you well know.

Today's Jeeping: futher daily driver research - there's a third contender in the mix, now - and a bit more detailing work on the engine.

Unread 07-29-2014, 06:43 AM   #7377
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Last Night's Jeeping, Updated: The bolts are out of the heads; later on, I'll post some details on how it went.

Unread 07-29-2014, 07:48 PM   #7378
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Okay...here's what happened...

I decided that I was feeling a bit racy yesterday evening so it seemed as good a time as any to attempt the extraction of the broken manifold bolts, and since I was in the aforementioned mood, I decided to take a shot at welding a nut to one of the buried bolts and pulling it out...and it worked perfectly.

Pictured: For once, something was radically easier than I expected.

The people whom suggested the welding route could not possibly have further understated the simplicity of this method. There's literally nothing to it: I held a scrap nut in a pair of needle-nose Vise-Grips, fired up the welder, held the nut over the broken, recessed and wire-brushed-as-much-as-was-possible bolt and then shot a relatively decent weld into the center of the nut...and when I ever-so-gently applied a wrench to it, the damned thing came out with no more than the barest whimper of protest. The threaded hole in the head was in beautiful shape, too; I hand-spun a chamfering bit around the already-chamfered hole to clean up a couple of microscopic pieces of welding spatter and I was basically done...and then everything fell apart when I moved to the other side.

I won't bore you with the gruesome details; simply put, it took sixteen attempts before I managed to weld a nut to the broken bolt with enough integrity to allow me to get the f****** thing out of the aluminum head...and it didn't do with with nearly the same amount of cleanliness as the first exhibited. I did everything the same as I had done with the first one, but no matter how well I wire-brushed and cleaned the broken bolt face and no matter how carefully I positioned the welder and the nut, fifteen welds in a row broke with barely any torque applied to them...and at least one of them caused some damage to the threading. When I finally managed to get a bolt to hold - and that weld sounded beautiful going in, by the way - I realized that the resistance that the bolt was showing to being extracted was not due to any amount of corrosion or stickiness within the threading itself, but rather due to a portion of weld that had spilled out and was trying to cut its way through the aluminum of the head; a half-turn brought it free of the head so there wasn't severe damage, but even after I gave it a bit of hand-chamfering and a light dressing with a piece of wetted 2000-grit paper it still wasn't pretty.

Picture: But it could have been worse.

If you look at the 3 o'clock position on the hole in the center of the photo, you can see where the weld tried to cut into the aluminum; since there wasn't a single bit of weld that seriously stuck to the head in any other location I can only assume that I got the wire off-center at some point and lightly gouged that portion of the metal...or, conversely, that I burnt out a bit of corrosion and filled the resulting gap with weld. Either way, there wasn't any significant damage to the head...hell, it barely even got warm, despite more than a dozen HOT welds put directly adjacent to it. Incidentally, all of the blackish-looking stuff on the manifold faces in the preceding photos are the corroded remains of the manifold gaskets that stuck to the aluminum; I've been using a combination of brass brushes, razor blades and retardedly-light block sanding to take this stuff off...and yes, I'm using a dead-flat piece of aluminum as the backing block to the sandpaper, which ensures that there's no gouging of the mating surface. It's still nerve-wracking, though...I'll be glad when it's done, much as I'm glad that the broken bolts have been freed with less damage than could have been had. Here's a shot of them after being pulled out.

Pictured: Guess which one was the problem.

If you guessed "the one on the left!" then you're either lucky or observant; if you look carefully you can see the small tooth of welded metal that scored the aluminum threading. After I got it extracted I checked to make sure that a bolt would still thread in with no problems; I was relieved to find that it would...so now all I have to do is get the remainder of the gasket material off of the exhaust manifold faces of the heads, do a tiny bit more cleanup, and then I can mask off the important parts and get a coat of paint on this thing!

Unread 07-29-2014, 09:16 PM   #7379
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Also...

Pictured: Some Throwback-Style Hotness.

Yep...that's the first picture I ever took of Greta, and it was snapped about nine minutes after I brought her home to Muppet Labs for the very first time. She looks a bit different now; scrolling back and forth between this image and that poser shot I posted a couple of days ago is kind of fun.

Unread 07-29-2014, 09:24 PM   #7380
91AzXJ

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Nice work even though the second one was a pita!
91AzXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.