The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 49 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 05-06-2012, 09:37 PM   #721
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I wanted to mention, walking through Home depot today, I found thier version of that dogbone wrench for $10.00 on clearance for those interested. Might be worth checking for.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=152304

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.
Bennettj13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #722
CoRubicon
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
My only concern is that it'll break exactly when I need it the most.
Or when you just happen to have a whole bunch of force on it and your hand goes slamming into something sharp.

Boo boos are bad in the Wasteland.
CoRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 10:27 PM   #723
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the tips, and sorry for the slight hi-jack Sundowner. More knowledge to the masses

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 04:05 AM   #724
lildutchboy

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Fine job on the toolkit write up Sundowner. The logic is simple yet elegant and application of knowledge and experience informs your choices. I seem to recall from the early pages an interest in working up several "levels" of kit, dare I say even up to power tools and a BFH? Long unlucky trips into the hinterlands* can certainly make you wish you'd brought along the shop trailer.

*"hinterlands" - those places where city folk go and no bars = fubars.
lildutchboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 08:21 AM   #725
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildutchboy View Post
Fine job on the toolkit write up Sundowner. The logic is simple yet elegant and application of knowledge and experience informs your choices. I seem to recall from the early pages an interest in working up several "levels" of kit, dare I say even up to power tools and a BFH? Long unlucky trips into the hinterlands* can certainly make you wish you'd brought along the shop trailer.

*"hinterlands" - those places where city folk go and no bars = fubars.
Yes...there are levels to be added. I'm going to let the kid modify and evolve over time, and as a result it will change, grow and shrink periodically. The hopeful end-result would be a number of potential configurations that one could select according to their specific needs. A trip down the local back roads and trails is a bit different than a month in the deserts of Arizona, and each requires different preparation.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 11:34 AM   #726
snakedriver

[QUOTE=tanksoldier;13524033]Ok, you just got another first poster.

I've been trying to figure out how to mount my 870P in my TJ. Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

"Great Day Quick Draw Off-Road Vehicle Gun Rack" mounts between front seats - about $90.00 online
snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 11:50 AM   #727
Naasau
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by my98tj View Post
fantastic work on the "basics" tool kit. lots of good stuff in that little bag. leatherman is a good multitool. i personally carry my victorinox (swiss army) everyday to work. i feel completely naked without it. mine also has a small 1/4" drive bit set that came with it that goes in the pouch with it. i have also had my eyes on the SOG multitool. their pliers are gear assisted for strength as the pliers on these things are generally weak.
x2! I've been trying to work out a similar kit for my TJ, and after looking through your post it is oh-so-obvious that I keep over-packing. Thanks for all your hard work! As for multi-tools, I've run with Gerber, Leatherman, and SOG, and each has it's strong and weak points; I've found that the blades are the weak link on Leathermans (I couldn't keep from snapping them, and their replacements... and their replacements...), the plier head joints tend to break/shear on Gerbers, and my favorite by far, the SOG can take anything, but mine easily weighs twice what every other multi-tool I've ever held has. The only reason for me to justify the price/weight of the SOG is that I'm about as small as an offroader comes, and the compound leverage of the gears in the SOG make all the difference.

If you ever get bored, grab one of their many different models and try it out, as I would love to hear your opinion on their style of multi-tool as a whole.
Naasau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #728
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakedriver View Post
"Great Day Quick Draw Off-Road Vehicle Gun Rack" mounts between front seats - about $90.00 online
Here's a link.

This has got all kind of possibilities, mostly because products with this design are made in a lot of non-vehicle-specific or non-ORV-specific applications. They're all essentially the same design, though - like this one, which is almost a carbon copy - so if anyone wants to go the simple route they can either chop one of these apart or use it as a design basis for something to mount in another location. What's important to notice, here, is the way the guns are cradled and held. It could easily be done as an overhead mount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naasau View Post
If you ever get bored, grab one of their many different models and try it out, as I would love to hear your opinion on their style of multi-tool as a whole.
One of the best things about being me is that I NEVER GET BORED...but I do love trying out new tools, so I'll fondle one of the SOG models when I get a chance. Odd that you break blades so often, though...I've never broken one on anything. You're not opening paint cans with them, are you?

Unread 05-07-2012, 03:53 PM   #729
Naasau
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You're not opening paint cans with them, are you?
Nope, isn't that what belt buckles and the needle nose plier head are for?

...beyond that... I decline to comment.

I also like the fact that every one of these tools comes standard with a blasting cap crimper. Some may ask why... I say Why Not?
Naasau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 05:42 PM   #730
vgullotta
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
[SIZE="3"]I've got enough tools to do the fabrication, so the only lacking portion is my knowledge. This, I can remedy.
Awesome quote!
Unread 05-07-2012, 05:46 PM   #731
vgullotta
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibblesupreme View Post
Am I the only one creeped out by all the comments about the OP's girl?

Awesome build man. I've been thinking about upgrading to the Vanco Big Break Kit myself, as my brakes just went out. I run 35"s also and have noticed a lack in stopping power. I just don't know if it's nessacary since I don't use mine as a DD.. although, I still need to get it to the trails too right?
For those "creeped out" folks out there like the above, there's nothing wrong with appreciating the fact that the man's wife is attractive. She's hot, she's wrenching, how do you not comment on that? I'm more "creeped out" by the people that are "creeped out" by this than the comments.
Unread 05-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #732
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Hello, Mr. Creeper here. Hold down the F11 key for a few seconds and make her bounce the Jeep.

This thread is great.
Unread 05-07-2012, 10:08 PM   #733
lildutchboy

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yes...there are levels to be added. I'm going to let the kid modify and evolve over time, and as a result it will change, grow and shrink periodically. The hopeful end-result would be a number of potential configurations that one could select according to their specific needs. A trip down the local back roads and trails is a bit different than a month in the deserts of Arizona, and each requires different preparation.
Y'know, modular systems tend to be thought of as very "inside the box" but they are mighty handy when there is a limitation on size, space, weight, money or any one of a flock of variables. The logical structure you're building (based on the lightweight/small essential kit) will lend itself very nicely to something like that. Although fitting a month's worth of toolkits, parts, food & water, shelter, etc. for a trip to the Mogollon Rim will make for a very snugly packed TJ!
lildutchboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 10:26 PM   #734
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildutchboy View Post
Although fitting a month's worth of toolkits, parts, food & water, shelter, etc. for a trip to the Mogollon Rim will make for a very snugly packed TJ!
I'm working on that issue as well, actually. I was planning on one of the new Compact trailers from these guys, but since the prices on them came in higher than I was anticipating I have pulled back from that plan and am reconsidering my alternatives. I've got another idea, and when it's fleshed-out I'll start working on it.

Thankfully, I'm a bit minimalist on my approach, anyway...so most of the gear that I already have isn't too big or weighty. By assuming that I'll have to make use of every inch of Greta's available space, I can now further refine my camping/hiking/paddling gear into appropriate sizes and weights, and be in better shape all-around when I make future purchases.

Having a four-wheeled backpack that you can drive totally kicks a**.

Unread 05-07-2012, 10:39 PM   #735
cycleguy04

I too have a minimalist's array of gear. Acquired through many years of bicycle and motorcycle touring. It's always interesting to see what kind of light weight gear fellow minimalists have chosen. Titanium or aluminum cookware? Multifuel stove or propane? You get the idea.

[COLOR="White"]'91 Ranger XLT 2WD - 4.0 V6, A4"hell"D, contemplating twin turbo 5.3[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]'79 C10 Big Ten 2WD - 350, TH350, contemplating rebuilding to 355ci with supercharger and programmable EFI[/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]'12 Subaru Forester (AKA: Arctic Cat) - 2.5, non-CVT, wife's, still begging her to let me get an exhaust system[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Blue"]'01 SV650 - snorkelectomy, ebay slip-on, cam swap and re-jet in the near future [/COLOR][/FONT]
cycleguy04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.