The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 47 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #691
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I will agree with the torque wrench for trail repairs. The only things I wouldn't be comfortable torquing properly are steering/suspension components. I have had a track bar go on me twice and it isn't fun. That above all other components would get torqued down even in a trail repair situation.

You are right about losing feel when using gloves. I used to religiously wear gloves while shooting. I decided after awhile, I didn't like the lose in feel for the trigger. Unless it is freezing I don't wear them anymore. However, gloves are a multipurpose piece of equipment. Don't be myopic and pigeon hole them into fastener tasks alone.

dongalonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 08:17 PM   #692
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongalonga View Post
I will agree with the torque wrench for trail repairs. The only things I wouldn't be comfortable torquing properly are steering/suspension components. I have had a track bar go on me twice and it isn't fun. That above all other components would get torqued down even in a trail repair situation.

You are right about losing feel when using gloves. I used to religiously wear gloves while shooting. I decided after awhile, I didn't like the lose in feel for the trigger. Unless it is freezing I don't wear them anymore. However, gloves are a multipurpose piece of equipment. Don't be myopic and pigeon hole them into fastener tasks alone.
Oh, I'd like to have things properly torqued as well...but I also have to think about what kind of space that wrench would take up, and I have to prioritize my desire for proper torque values in a "get me moving again" scenario. I can carry other, more useful things in place of the torque wrench, and that's why I would leave it at home, personally...but if you feel that you have to have it, then by all means carry it. There are no right and wrong answers in this kind of project...there are only "better" and "worse," and these are SUBJECTIVE ABSTRACTS. Thus, we're both right, even if we disagree.

I actually don't use gloves for fasteners at all...I use them when I'm working around a hot exhaust, or when I'm welding, or handling cut sheet metal, or using a chainsaw, etc. I think of gloves as "injury prevention" equipment...and everyone is very right to point out how quickly an injury can end your enjoyment of a fun day spent carousing about in the Wasteland.

Look for an article on this kind of thing, in the future.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #693
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Ahh I see. We agree completely on gloves then. Like you said everyone has different needs. I am just neurotic about torquing everything.
dongalonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 07:28 AM   #694
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongalonga View Post
Ahh I see. We agree completely on gloves then. Like you said everyone has different needs. I am just neurotic about torquing everything.
So am I...but not when I'm in "repair mode," which is what I designed this particular kit to facilitate.

Unread 05-05-2012, 11:23 AM   #695
BenHoleton
2008 KK Liberty 

Seriously the best thread I've ever read here. I read every new entry and I don't even drive a TJ
BenHoleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 11:47 AM   #696
StillYDGN
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHoleton View Post
Seriously the best thread I've ever read here. I read every new entry and I don't even drive a TJ
Same! Yj ftw!
StillYDGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #697
Jakes04WJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHoleton
Yeahhh I'm guilty of this as well, I drive a Wj hahaha
Jakes04WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #698
Skeets682
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I was issued a "Flight Engineers" toolkit when I was an FE on C-5's, it had to be small enough to fit inside a helmet bag, but have enough tools to facilitate "minor" inflight repairs. It rolls up into a neat package abpur 12" long and 8 inches around. That little toolkit, maglight and a Leatherman have been great! That toolkit and Sundowners toolkit will be melded together for mine. Great suggestions!
Retired AF
Skeets682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #699
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHoleton View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillYDGN View Post
Same! Yj ftw!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakes04WJ View Post
Yeahhh I'm guilty of this as well, I drive a Wj hahaha
The particulars of what you drive are insignificant in comparison to where, how and - most vitally - why you drive it.

Unread 05-05-2012, 06:04 PM   #700
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
The particulars of what you drive are insignificant in comparison to where, how and - most vitally - why you drive it.
My LJ is a time machine ... I feel 18 again every time I climb behind the wheel.
Unread 05-05-2012, 06:54 PM   #701
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
My LJ is a time machine ... I feel 18 again every time I climb behind the wheel.
Exactly.

Unread 05-05-2012, 09:38 PM   #702
pixelcodex
2007 WK 

Something missing?

I am finally caught up with the thread. Great toolkit, and excellent writing as always. I understand the ultralight, essential and basic aspect of the kit, but no f****** dielectric grease?? That's inconceivable!
pixelcodex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 10:22 PM   #703
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelcodex View Post
I am finally caught up with the thread. Great toolkit, and excellent writing as always. I understand the ultralight, essential and basic aspect of the kit, but no f****** dielectric grease?? That's inconceivable!
That goes with the bailing wire, JB Weld and duct tape. Trust me, it's in consideration.

Unread 05-05-2012, 10:41 PM   #704
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Nice article bud. Way to go. I'll take my gerber over a leatherman though. Ive had the same one for 12 years now, and broken 3 leathermans. My one gerber held up to 4 hard years of use in the navy as a boiler tech, and countless other uses since. I'm not nice to my tools. I'm the guy that believes that if you can't fix it with a hammer then you have an electrical problem. And usually, if the tool you are using doesn't work like it should, hit whatever you are working on with it like it's a hammer till it does. It's a gift. Eventually either I bleed or it does, but one of us gets tired and then I do it right.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=152304

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.
Bennettj13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 11:46 PM   #705
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennettj13 View Post
Nice article bud. Way to go. I'll take my gerber over a leatherman though. Ive had the same one for 12 years now, and broken 3 leathermans. My one gerber held up to 4 hard years of use in the navy as a boiler tech, and countless other uses since. I'm not nice to my tools. I'm the guy that believes that if you can't fix it with a hammer then you have an electrical problem. And usually, if the tool you are using doesn't work like it should, hit whatever you are working on with it like it's a hammer till it does. It's a gift. Eventually either I bleed or it does, but one of us gets tired and then I do it right.
As always, the compliments are most welcome and appreciated. Far be it from me, though, to dictate which tools any given person may select: I've had great luck with my Leatherman, but I've known quite a few people that have equal admiration for the Gerber models. You have to go with what works for YOU. This truth applies to all things: Jeeps, tools, guns, women, beer...everything is relative.

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.