The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 46 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 05-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #676
Lug
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
I want to say that it was about $20, or so...one of the cheaper purchases for this kit.
I just spent $24.99 plus tax and shipping. Not bad IMHO.

Lug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 11:22 AM   #677
Mallanaga
TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner
The TJ Toolkit: Ultralight, Essential and Basic.
Whilst sitting on the toilet last night, checking my fave threads, I came across your toolkit writeup. I quickly put the phone away, as I wanted to read it this morning while 'working'. Bravo.

My 2 most favoritest tools you mentioned are the multi-dogbone tool, and that wiha screwdriver. I'm buying these ASAP. wiha also has a stubby screwdriver to match it! <3 Also love my Leatherman skeletool...

Cheers, buddy!
Mallanaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 11:33 AM   #678
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallanaga View Post
wiha also has a stubby screwdriver to match it!
I ordered one a few days ago...but since it's an extra I left it out of this build. For now.

Also: some hotness.

I told you they had nice stuff...

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 11:41 AM   #679
Mallanaga
TJ Wrangler 

Mallanaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #680
Toonces
1997 TJ Wrangler 

For those that are wondering where to get the higher end hand tools mentioned, the screwdriver is the Wiha 38027 and the adjustable pliers are the Knipex Alligator 8801250 both available at Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Wiha-38027-Standard-Magnetic-Phillips/dp/B001LQQ42K/ and http://www.amazon.com/Knipex-8801250E-10-Inch-Alligator-Pliers/dp/B000X4J2VQ/ respectively.

They might be a little on the spendy side for a single tool for those that prefer to shop at Harbor Freight (like me), but I've always had good luck with tools that get unbiased reviews and I'd really like to be able to have one screwdriver to rule them all and leave the rest at home. Besides, it's probably the least expensive thing I've bought this month for my Jeep
Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #681
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces View Post
For those that are wondering where to get the higher end hand tools mentioned, the screwdriver is the Wiha 38027 and the adjustable pliers are the Knipex Alligator 8801250 both available at Amazon.

They might be a little on the spendy side for a single tool for those that prefer to shop at Harbor Freight (like me), but I've always had good luck with tools that get unbiased reviews and I'd really like to be able to have one screwdriver to rule them all and leave the rest at home. Besides, it's probably the least expensive thing I've bought this month for my Jeep
Excellent finds...and my thanks for the links. That's a good price on the pliers, incidentally. I paid a couple more dollars for mine, locally.

Unread 05-04-2012, 12:15 PM   #682
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Sundowner, great writeup as always. Chick-fil-A is suddenly on my to-do list this weekend along with the HD steering linkage install. I'll be making a few changes but have a relatively similar "light" loadout. The changes I'm making are in coincidence with your thought and work on conserving space, which is substantial. In other words, I'm going to be buying some of those tools that have many combinations of uses and I appreciate your unbiased assessment of their performance and durability.

Additionally, I have the exact same Leatherman Wave. Original model that I bought in my first semester of college six or seven years ago. It has accompanied me on MANY epic journeys, dragon slayings, wrenchings, cursings, and drinking trips. Like yourself, I have not been kind to it but I can't seem to kill it. That tool is by far one of the most faithful inanimate companions a man can spend money on.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."
H. L. Mencken - US editor (1880 - 1956)

K.C.C.O. [url]www.thechive.com[/url]
hallsofstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #683
my98tj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

fantastic work on the "basics" tool kit. lots of good stuff in that little bag. leatherman is a good multitool. i personally carry my victorinox (swiss army) everyday to work. i feel completely naked without it. mine also has a small 1/4" drive bit set that came with it that goes in the pouch with it. i have also had my eyes on the SOG multitool. their pliers are gear assisted for strength as the pliers on these things are generally weak.

on a side note, my tiny town of tullahoma is getting a Chick-fil-a and i'm going to have to fight the urge to be a complete fatty and eat the spicy chicken sammich everyday. continue on sir.
Unread 05-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #684
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallsofstone View Post
Sundowner, great writeup as always. Chick-fil-A is suddenly on my to-do list this weekend along with the HD steering linkage install. I'll be making a few changes but have a relatively similar "light" loadout. The changes I'm making are in coincidence with your thought and work on conserving space, which is substantial. In other words, I'm going to be buying some of those tools that have many combinations of uses and I appreciate your unbiased assessment of their performance and durability.

Additionally, I have the exact same Leatherman Wave. Original model that I bought in my first semester of college six or seven years ago. It has accompanied me on MANY epic journeys, dragon slayings, wrenchings, cursings, and drinking trips. Like yourself, I have not been kind to it but I can't seem to kill it. That tool is by far one of the most faithful inanimate companions a man can spend money on.
I'm officially envious of upgraded steering. You suck.

If you go with a similar-sized bag you can fit it between the seat frame and body on either side of your front seats...which are great "otherwise-unused" spaces. I had this particular bag on hand because I bought two of them when I made The Mysterious and Suspiciously-Named "Girly Things" Kit, and I bought them specifically to fit in the aforementioned spaces. It was luck that all the tools fit in there...but it was a good exercise in minimalist theory.

Be that as it may, I would honestly prefer to have a slightly larger bag and let it ride either 1) behind the driver's seat in the floorboard, or 2) in the center console, which I don't really use for anything at all since the latch on it is uber-stiff. Both of these spaces - for me, personally - are "unused" areas. The only reason I'm not making use of the seat-frame-to-body voids is because they're already in-use: the Girly Things Kit takes up the passenger-side area and my towel stays beside the driver's seat. I might swap those around, though...we'll see. Annabelle has mentioned that it would be good to be able to get to the Girly Things Kit without having to open the door. Hmm...

Unread 05-04-2012, 03:14 PM   #685
HONDOK9
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Wow!

Very nice and comprehensive tool kit. This will save a lot of weight out of the back of my Jeep when out wheeling.

I do have one question and two suggestions if I may.

1. On that Wiha screw driver, the receptacle at the end of the shank (the one that holds the bits), is or would it be too large in diameter to go down in a deep hole to get to a phillips head screw? You know, like is it too fat and you can't get down to the screw because the hole is a little smaller than 1/4".

2. I would add "short/regular" sockets in the same sizes to match the deep sockets. I can't count how many times i've had to go back to the tool box to swap a deep socket for a regular one because there wasn't enough clearance to get the ratchet and the deep socket on to the nut, but the regular size got me in there! It wouldn't take up too much more space either.

3. Don't forget to include the always utilitarian and very multi-purpose, Duct Tape, Bailing Wire, and JB Weld!!! Man that stuff has gotten me out of alot of jams!

Otherwise i will be downsizing my tool kit to these specs. Thank you for the write up. It has been very enlightening!
Unread 05-04-2012, 03:50 PM   #686
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDOK9 View Post
1. On that Wiha screw driver, the receptacle at the end of the shank (the one that holds the bits), is or would it be too large in diameter to go down in a deep hole to get to a phillips head screw? You know, like is it too fat and you can't get down to the screw because the hole is a little smaller than 1/4".
It's actually pretty small...most #2 Phillips screws are about the same size as the head. I think it would fit in most cases because it's really a very slender profile.

Quote:
2. I would add "short/regular" sockets in the same sizes to match the deep sockets. I can't count how many times i've had to go back to the tool box to swap a deep socket for a regular one because there wasn't enough clearance to get the ratchet and the deep socket on to the nut, but the regular size got me in there! It wouldn't take up too much more space either.
I've had that happen, too, but not often...it's been more of the reverse, for me: usually, the shorty models don't fit! This is one of the reasons I'd like the ratcheting box ends wrenches...

Quote:
3. Don't forget to include the always utilitarian and very multi-purpose, Duct Tape, Bailing Wire, and JB Weld!!! Man that stuff has gotten me out of alot of jams!
Well, those are more "repair items" than tools...and as such, they get their own container and series of articles.

Unread 05-04-2012, 03:59 PM   #687
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
It's actually pretty small...most #2 Phillips screws are about the same size as the head. I think it would fit in most cases because it's really a very slender profile.
If it will fit in the hole to remove the headlight rings, then it should be good for most anything else. Stick a T-15 on there and check.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #688
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

You did forget two tools. Gloves and a torque wrench. Protecting your handsies is important in The Wasteland. They are the only ones you have. How dare you sir!
dongalonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 04:24 PM   #689
HONDOK9
2004 TJ Wrangler 

+1 on the racheting boxed end wrenches. I'll be getting those for sure! 10-4 on the "Repair" items. Didn't know that was coming. Gloves! Hell yes! Ever try to work on S**t out in the Desert in the summer?! It's brutal! You quickly learn put all your tools in the shade or you can't pick them up!!!
Unread 05-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #690
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongalonga View Post
You did forget two tools. Gloves and a torque wrench. Protecting your handsies is important in The Wasteland. They are the only ones you have. How dare you sir!
Actually, I didn't forget them...I conscientiously disregarded them.

Gloves: I have a pair that stays under my towel and another with my recovery gear...but I honestly don't use them unless I'm in a situation with hot metal or a cutting hazard: most of the time I prefer to be able to accurately feel whatever I'm working on.

Torque Wrench: Too big. For a trail repair, torque values aren't even remotely at the top of my list. If I can get myself mobile and back to civilization, I can torque a fastener down properly at a more convenient time.

Quote:
+1 on the racheting boxed end wrenches. I'll be getting those for sure! 10-4 on the "Repair" items. Didn't know that was coming. Gloves! Hell yes! Ever try to work on S**t out in the Desert in the summer?! It's brutal! You quickly learn put all your tools in the shade or you can't pick them up!!!
See commentary on hot metal.

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.